Boatmad.com

Old 24-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #1

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: Jack'd up, hellraiser
Boat make: Bernico 19 ET, ring 16
Engines: merc 135, merc 175, yam 90
Cruising area: Plymouth

Alloys on truvk

After owning my pickup for a few years, I felt now was the time to spoil the ride an fit some 22s
They arrived today, all gleeful and excited, that quickly changed, nuts wouldn't fit, tyres wrest great but hey all that can be sorted
My biggest issue was that the cente bores looked like they had been hacked about and therefore not sitting flush with my cente bore on my hub. Looked into spigots but they don't seem to do them 106mm big to go down to 93mm
Also because it looks like they've been attacked with a grinder, they would need to be lathed aswell!
My question is, can I run without then sitting flush or is this going to cause big trouble, or do i just move them on, describing them honestly this time unlike the guy I purchased them off...?
Thanks
Chris

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
After owning my pickup for a few years, I felt now was the time to spoil the ride an fit some 22s
They arrived today, all gleeful and excited, that quickly changed, nuts wouldn't fit, tyres wrest great but hey all that can be sorted
My biggest issue was that the cente bores looked like they had been hacked about and therefore not sitting flush with my cente bore on my hub. Looked into spigots but they don't seem to do them 106mm big to go down to 93mm
Also because it looks like they've been attacked with a grinder, they would need to be lathed aswell!
My question is, can I run without then sitting flush or is this going to cause big trouble, or do i just move them on, describing them honestly this time unlike the guy I purchased them off...?
Thanks
Chris
Chris the stress that is put on a wheel especially with a 4x4 I would make sure they fit properly,the cetre hole need to centre the wheel and it must sit flat on the face of the hub.cheers Nic

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Chris the stress that is put on a wheel especially with a 4x4 I would make sure they fit properly,the cetre hole need to centre the wheel and it must sit flat on the face of the hub.cheers Nic
It does sit flat on the face, but as stated a hilux has a Centre bore of 106mm an mine, 93.5. On a good straight wheel I would have had custom made spigots but as stated, this has been a home job to get them to fit so the circle, isn't really a circle!!
Old 24-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

The centre bore is there purely for alignment and helping people put wheels on, it does not bear load.
On a car I'd say you need it to ensure the wheel is perfectly concentric, but on a 4x4 it doesn't matter. Note a landrover 90 for instance doesn't use a centre bore at all other than to clear the centre of the hub.

So long as the mating faces sit flat against each other and you use the right bolts you'll be absolutely fine.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

as long as you have bolts or lug nuts that fit the taper of the holes in the wheel absolutely perfectly there's nothing to worry about
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
as long as you have bolts or lug nuts that fit the taper of the holes in the wheel absolutely perfectly there's nothing to worry about
Unfortunately my mothers partner who is a mechanic reckons they have taken too much material out of the wheel. So even at 23, with my own home (mortgage obviously) truck and boat, I'm not allowed to fit them.