Boatmad.com

Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Mercedes SLS AMG drives upside down in a tunnel

Hi has anyone seen this Mercedes SLS AMG drives upside down in a tunnel

I am sure it must be CGI, but on the other hand a company with a reputation like Mercedes is hardly likely to show a car doing something it can't do. What do you think??

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #2

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Hi has anyone seen this Mercedes SLS AMG drives upside down in a tunnel

I am sure it must be CGI, but on the other hand a company with a reputation like Mercedes is hardly likely to show a car doing something it can't do. What do you think??
That's our normal road test route- we struggle with high roof Sprinters as the roof touches the floor.Nic!

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

Barrel Roll

Pretty impressive in a car but a low 'G' aerobatic and fun manoeuvre in an aircraft - so perfectly possible in a car in a circular containment. Barrel roll.

In an aircraft you start with stick back to raise the nose and then apply aileron left or right depending on clock or anti clock rotation. Gradually reverse stick back to stick forward through the inverted state to maintain height in the apex i.e. when you are upside down - before neutralising on the rollover and then stick back as you try to come out of the barrel roll on the same height and heading as you went in. Very seldom when I was trying.

The physics is essentially relatively easy to calculate in the case of the Merc. They would use a ramp for the upwards deflection in such a way as to reproduce the stick back and transfer the centripetal force to the side and roof of the tunnel before the wash out on completion of the rotation. Punchy stuff but if the driver can hit the right speed number and steer he will be OK. Wonder how many they scratched getting the numbers right.
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
In an aircraft you start with stick back to raise the nose and then apply aileron left or right depending on clock or anti clock rotation. Gradually reverse stick back to stick forward through the inverted state to maintain height in the apex i.e. when you are upside down - before neutralising on the rollover and then stick back as you try to come out of the barrel roll on the same height and heading as you went in. Very seldom when I was trying.
Yes, I was going to say that...

Except for the small fact that i know jack sh*t about flying

As long as you don't catch your can in the bertie....

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17005&page=2
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote