Boatmad.com

Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Money

Wheres all the money in this country gone? No one seems to be buying any thing. I know the media thing and house price crash etc etc but hey who cares the media makes it worse why worry about the credit crunch. It seems people are holding on to there money!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
The Doc

we're not all tripping over it Taz, perhaps i need to get into Block Paving & driveways

Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #3

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
people are holding on to their money because the cost of living is going up so sharp! Simply put. I have cut right down on the amount of miles I dont need to do. Stopped buying so much shite I dont need and generally watching my pennies more these days.
As much as a lot of people dont want to hear it house prices will drop lower and lower as people down size due to living costs. Any estate agent will tell you that the few propertys they are selling tend to be middle of the road propertys due to people down sizing. Rents have shot up due to people either not being about to get a mortage so they have to rent or people renting waiting for house prices to fall.
Last time I saw Jono (where is he these days?) we had a similar convo about nob heads in the city basically ******* the country up to line their own pockets!
Old 13-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #4

Are you talking about you business or selling your boat
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #5

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

30 years ago (if you can remember back that far) we only had one Credit Card, you could only get a mortgage for 2 1/2 times your salary, and our economy was driven by manufacturing. We were not a credit driven economy, we all want things we cant afford to cash purchase so when credit is easy we borrow more, the Banks and lending institutions are providing finance to people who years ago would not have qualified on the basis of equity in their property... House price inflation has provided a comfort zone between personal debt and personal equity - A nice warm fuzzy feeling

American lending to people who would not normally qualify for a loan (Sub-Prime) has been sold on at 90 cents in the $ which is not a bad deal in a rising market. Guarantee's have been given by banks to other banks and somewhere in the malaise the debt is purchased by our banks. American's default on their mortgages, the American Banks flood the market with repossessions. House prices fall and equity wont repay debt and all of a sudden our banks are left holding the baby ie. Northern Rock.

People panic, Banks panic and wont lend because their supply of money has dried up from defaulters not making repayments and BANG - Credit Crunch.

People cant borrow, as they used to, high street spending slumps, prices are forced down, wages increase. Classic Recession scenario.

The Federal Resurve in America is trying to prop up banks by guaranteeing their debt book and pumping more money into the economy which is forcing the $ down on the international money markets (Which is great if your going to Florida for your Holidays) but if you drive a car (or in our cases) have a boat then its bad because Oil is purchased in $ so the oil price is going up and up, putting more inflationery pressure into the system..

Cash is. and always will be King

So to put it bluntly, your assets are worth less than they were if you are looking to sell them now.
Old 13-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

Simple Rule,

Never be desperate to buy or sell anything at any time.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote