Boatmad.com

Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #1

Sequel

To all concerned,

Please be aware that all I did, in reference to Gav and the Seaquel 700 was step in and ensure the safety of the plugs and brand name “Seaquel” whilst young Gav tried to sort himself out of the financial mess he was in. I provided him with a temporary place of work and because Gav himself was declared bankrupt a while back I allowed him facilities so that he could try and clear up any outstanding commitments work-wise, rather than walking away from everything which he could have done.
Whilst I tried to put together a deal that would have allowed the 700 to be completed earlier, this was not taken up by the relevant parties. That was entirely their own choice and I am sure they had good reasons, however it does mean that completion of the plugs has had to be put off until Gav could find a way to finish them whilst still managing to put food on the family table. Fortunately he came up with a solution to this problem that is enabling him to do this. In the meantime I have been storing the plugs on his behalf.
The partially complete plug of the hull was shipped over to his new place of work recently for completion and the deck plug will follow when time allows, but this is a much slower process than my original proposal because it relies very heavily on the availability and goodwill of the skilled labour that he needs.
So please understand that whilst I am happy to help try and sort out problems with communication and the like I have no financial or moral obligation to any deal that Gav has done. That is between y’all.
Probably the best way to contact him is with a short message on this board. Where he is working will limit his access to his mobile.

Gav is my friend and I will continue to offer him any support and help that I can for that reason alone. Apart from that I think the 700 needs to succeed and feel that the way he is risking further financial hardship by continuing to push the project, when in all honesty, he would be a lot better off saying “screw this” and taking a well paid job in the thriving GRP business in this area, must be an indication of his commitment.

Regards to all, Jono

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

Sequel 700

Quote:
Gav is my friend and I will continue to offer him any support and help that I can for that reason alone. Apart from that I think the 700 needs to succeed and feel that the way he is risking further financial hardship by continuing to push the project, when in all honesty, he would be a lot better off saying “screw this” and taking a well paid job in the thriving GRP business in this area, must be an indication of his commitment.

Jono I will try to keep my reply 'to the point'.

Gav's commitment should be to the people that he took the money from in good faith when he made the promise of a new boat.

I was one of three who put thier money in from the start (actually the largest stakeholder), at that time I was told I should expect to receive a new boat in January at the latest.
Since then as we all know Gav went through the hoop, bad news yes would not wish that on anyone, but what has been done since then to resolve this situation?
Has the boat plug and mould progressed any further?
I have had no boat for this years ski racing season as promised.

Now I think that all concerned have been very patient with regard to this and have tried to bear with it as long as possible, this for me has start to come to an end, I can also speak for Taz who as we all know is trying to sell his share.
I need a boat in order to compete, I have since started looking at different options and really wish that I had not placed so much faith with Gav and handed over so much money.
I am unfortunately not wealthy enough to just walk away from this but really wish that I was.

I do not think that Gav is doing enough to get this project back on track, I know that if I had made the commitment to others that had handed over their money in good faith I would be working very hard to ensure that happened and however slow that progress was I would constantly update them to show my commitment to finish the project.

I decided to go with the Sequel 700 mainly because it was a British built boat that I tought could work very well, cost was also a consideration as was the build quality.
However I am left feeling that I made the wrong decision and do at present wish I had chosen to buy another Bernico!

Regards
Cye Hayes

Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #3

Cye,

The reason for the post was to save people wasting there time chasing me if they have a beef with Gav, but I will take issue with one of your comments… the others, including your frustration and loss of faith I understand fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
…..
I do not think that Gav is doing enough to get this project back on track, I know that if I had made the commitment to others that had handed over their money in good faith I would be working very hard to ensure that happened …

…and how, exactly, would you do that with no money, no income, no material and no premises and the bailiffs at your door? I offered to “broker” a deal that, although not perfect, would have had the boat completed somewhat sooner. You chose not to take it. That is your decision and I respect that, but what viable alternative did you come up with?
The financial institutions wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole, I was/am certainly not prepared to commit anymore money, as I don’t see the Boat building game as being financially viable in this market, neither you nor the two others would (or could) put in further monies. Money is what is needed and without that you have to appreciate that nothing can happen quickly.

Regards, Jono
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Jono;112283]To all concerned,

Whilst I tried to put together a deal that would have allowed the 700 to be completed earlier, this was not taken up by the relevant parties. That was entirely their own choice and I am sure they had good reasons, however it does mean that completion of the plugs has had to be put off until Gav could find a way to finish them whilst still managing to put food on the family table. Fortunately he came up with a solution to this problem that is enabling him to do this.

Jono after reading this again i also feel the need to write regarding this offer.

The three of us who had put our money in were asked after Gavs bankruptcy to put the rest of our hard earned cash in to complete the project, that is a tall order to ask of anyone given that the project had already fallen behind schedule.
Now whilst that may have finished the boat ealier no plan or breakdown of costs were presented to us when asked, instead just an amount needed in order to finish the project.
So instead the three of us concerned decided that the safest way to progress would be to hand over cash at set stages throughout the build to ensure all three boats were completed, the first stage being the completion of the hull plug so that funds were there to cover the cost of the mould.

Second being the funds to cover the cost of the top deck mould once the plug had been completed.

Then the funds to cover the material costs for the fisrt boat and so on.

Doing it this way we had control and faith that things were going to happen and that the money was going to be spent on the completion of the boat and not 'Putting food on the family table' or pissing it up against the wall or going on holiday!

As stated before since this decision the only thing that has happened is the hull plug has been moved to another location!

Still no work has been completed as per the plan to reach the first stage (hull plug being completed).

Cye
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Cye,

The reason for the post was to save people wasting there time chasing me if they have a beef with Gav, but I will take issue with one of your comments… the others, including your frustration and loss of faith I understand fully.

…and how, exactly, would you do that with no money, no income, no material and no premises and the bailiffs at your door? I offered to “broker” a deal that, although not perfect, would have had the boat completed somewhat sooner. You chose not to take it. That is your decision and I respect that, but what viable alternative did you come up with?
The financial institutions wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole, I was/am certainly not prepared to commit anymore money, as I don’t see the Boat building game as being financially viable in this market, neither you nor the two others would (or could) put in further monies. Money is what is needed and without that you have to appreciate that nothing can happen quickly.

Regards, Jono
Jono my other post covers the plan.
Did you not state that you had offered Gav some space to work short term?
The deck and hull both require 'manual work' this costs nothing!
If Gav had asked for monies to cover material to complete the hull or the topdeck plug after updating us with any progress on either then as per the agreeded plan we would have handed it over.

Cye
Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #6

Cye,

We're not going to agree on this anytime soon, so I'll waste no more of your time in trying to persuade you otherwise. One thing that did make me laugh though was you comment about the plug "just being moved". You have no idea how much manpower, skill and money (mine, I'll hasten to add) went into moving the mold away from the receivers/bailiffs in the first place then moving it to where the lads are working on it now...

Regards, Jono

...oh, and if you find a skilled plug maker who'll work for nothing...let me know, I've got Oceans of work for a man like that...