Boatmad.com

Old 06-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #1

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

SVA testing

Anybody put an american car through the sva test ?

Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Tony????

Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
hello

My mate put his Westy through, I took all the tools etc. in my car and helped with all the required bodges to get it through. Amongst other things we made an exhaust muffler from a fanta can and a Jubilee clip to get it through the noise level test (that was my idea ). Interesting and some what amusing day that one.

I say I took my car but it was actually Burty's as my car had suffered a head gasket failure and I'd promised Westy Dan I'd take the tools along for him. What I didnt realise at the time was that SVA's are done at the Vehicle Inspectorate. So I became slightly concerned when I turned up outside in Burty's rusty, worn out rear tyres that need pumping up every other day, no exhaust back box cus it fell off in the sea (it actually didn't sound like it was blowing it just sounded like a big loud straight 6, in short it sounded properly wicked ), electric windows dont work, has stupid premanent marker pen writing all over it (Pikes Peak Edition, FUBAR, Twin Turbo, Wheel (written on the wheel, one letter on each spoke), petrol goes here, lock this, air goes here (on the wheel again), Type Rust (massive 'TYPE R' tiny 'ust', that was the cars nickname)), gaffa tape viper stripes that had since come off at 130mph but had left the glue which the dirt then stuck to (so it had dirt viper stripes), hole sawed air box to make it even louder and more wicked sounding (I'll say it again but it sounded absolutley mint, straight 6's sound lovely when they're aloud to breath properly) and generally very beaten up Carlton GSI 3000 24V. So I parked the car as far away as I could with the best side showing and hoped that none of the emplyees would park next to it when they turned up for work. All was going well till Dans Westy failed on a few things and the the inspector guy said we could fix them whilst he had his tea break at which point Dan asked if I could drive my car in cus it has all the tools in it and he said "yeah no problem". So I drove it right through the Vehicle Inspectorate building very slowly and as quietly as possible hoping no one would notice me, made even worse by the fact that I had to drive right past and park quite near another Carlton with a prohibition noitce on it that in comparison to Burty's looked factory fresh. When our inspector guy came back from his tea break he helped us a bit with the Westy and even rummaged around in the back of the Carlton looking for tools and stuff. A rather uncomfortable 30 minutes or so for me that, untill I had driven back out and parked the car far away once more. They didn't take it off of me though which was handy as I didn't really fancy walking the 60 miles home carrying lots of heavy tools.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #4

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

My F150 2 years ago, ! although it did fail first time on a broken leaf spring and loose wiring on the back of the stereo!

Cost £250 using SVA Uk in Southampton docks.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boat Dude
My mate put his Westy through, I took all the tools etc. in my car and helped with all the required bodges to get it through. Amongst other things we made an exhaust muffler from a fanta can and a Jubilee clip to get it through the noise level test (that was my idea ). Interesting and some what amusing day that one.

I say I took my car but it was actually Burty's as my car had suffered a head gasket failure and I'd promised Westy Dan I'd take the tools along for him. What I didnt realise at the time was that SVA's are done at the Vehicle Inspectorate. So I became slightly concerned when I turned up outside in Burty's rusty, worn out rear tyres that need pumping up every other day, no exhaust back box cus it fell off in the sea (it actually didn't sound like it was blowing it just sounded like a big loud straight 6, in short it sounded properly wicked ), electric windows dont work, has stupid premanent marker pen writing all over it (Pikes Peak Edition, FUBAR, Twin Turbo, Wheel (written on the wheel, one letter on each spoke), petrol goes here, lock this, air goes here (on the wheel again), Type Rust (massive 'TYPE R' tiny 'ust', that was the cars nickname)), gaffa tape viper stripes that had since come off at 130mph but had left the glue which the dirt then stuck to (so it had dirt viper stripes), hole sawed air box to make it even louder and more wicked sounding (I'll say it again but it sounded absolutley mint, straight 6's sound lovely when they're aloud to breath properly) and generally very beaten up Carlton GSI 3000 24V. So I parked the car as far away as I could with the best side showing and hoped that none of the emplyees would park next to it when they turned up for work. All was going well till Dans Westy failed on a few things and the the inspector guy said we could fix them whilst he had his tea break at which point Dan asked if I could drive my car in cus it has all the tools in it and he said "yeah no problem". So I drove it right through the Vehicle Inspectorate building very slowly and as quietly as possible hoping no one would notice me, made even worse by the fact that I had to drive right past and park quite near another Carlton with a prohibition noitce on it that in comparison to Burty's looked factory fresh. When our inspector guy came back from his tea break he helped us a bit with the Westy and even rummaged around in the back of the Carlton looking for tools and stuff. A rather uncomfortable 30 minutes or so for me that, untill I had driven back out and parked the car far away once more. They didn't take it off of me though which was handy as I didn't really fancy walking the 60 miles home carrying lots of heavy tools.
What u on about? there was nothing wrong with that car
until you crashed it
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #6

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Tony did they test it as a commercial vehicle and what did it entail ?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #7

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

The F150 is a bit of a weird one as it can only carry 500kg's in the bed. this means that you pay 22% import duty as per a commercial vehicle, but you can't reclaim the vat as it isn't a commercial vehicle!!! Work that one out.

The SVA test is very thorough, hence the failure on the stereo wiring, although it didn't need it's lights converting, as it wasn't 3 years old and therefore didn't need an mot!

The main part of the test is like a very stiff mot, and covers brakes, steering exhaust etc, they also check for bodywork protusions etc.

When I collected it after the pass, the rear bumper was sitting in the pickup bed. Don't know why, but looked at other trucks and they were all the same.

North American vehicles are pretty easy as the have strict rules in the USA, it's a different matter when you come to do a jap motor!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Davis
they also check for bodywork protusions etc.
Take tape and foam. I'm not joking!!!

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote

« Smartass | Scams »