Interests: ski racing
Boat name: Jack'd up, hellraiser
Boat make: Bernico 19 ET, ring 16
Engines: merc 135, merc 175, yam 90
Cruising area: Plymouth

sponsorship

to answer a question asked by gazza at torquay
why hasnt anyone got any
there seems to be a distinct lack of it in the sport??
regards
chris

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #2

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Hi Freedom
This is going back to the post i had the other day,
If you had all classes of racing I.E. Zaps, OCR, V24's, 2 lts,Ski-Racing and Honda Series doing say a roadshow throughout the the UK, this would maybe give powerboating more of a following, thus bringing more sponsorship to the sport.
But again i'm only a layman looking from the outside, there just seems a lot of barriers poss !!
Looking at the ski-race boats at the weekend they are well presented a credit to their owners having to pay everthing themselves, even Blind dog (Scott Younger) commented on this, even though he is a Ribnobber at the moment.

gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

well im in the process of composing a etter as i write this to send of to local companies
as i am certain i will be racing next season, in F3 if i am legal, or open class other wise
being a student, workin all the weekends and hours i can whilst studying is fine, but if i have to reliquish every other weekend in order to race, im not sure i will be able to finance it all myself,
its just in the process of deciding which kind of buisness and companies might possibly buy in to the idea???
ill let you know what response i get
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Hi Freedom
This is going back to the post i had the other day,
If you had all classes of racing I.E. Zaps, OCR, V24's, 2 lts,Ski-Racing and Honda Series doing say a roadshow throughout the the UK, this would maybe give powerboating more of a following, thus bringing more sponsorship to the sport.
But again i'm only a layman looking from the outside, there just seems a lot of barriers poss !!
Looking at the ski-race boats at the weekend they are well presented a credit to their owners having to pay everthing themselves, even Blind dog (Scott Younger) commented on this, even though he is a Ribnobber at the moment.

Ive said this before, going back a few years I thought the grand prix in Plymouth worked well and the whole event was sponsered by Bartercard, not sure what happend but they didnt seem to hang around long!
Worth bearing in mind that I assume sponsers would come forward if there name was up in lights on the TV or at least in the local rag, unfortunaly this is few and far between so its catch 22, you need the media to get spnsership but you need the sponsorship to get the media coverage......all IMVHO

Freedon, good effort if you write to loads of firms but what are you going to offer them? Dont get me wrong its worth a go but you just need to have a carrot to dangle! You might get a few that do it for tax reasons tho.......
Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
well im in the process of composing a etter as i write this to send of to local companies
as i am certain i will be racing next season, in F3 if i am legal, or open class other wise
being a student, workin all the weekends and hours i can whilst studying is fine, but if i have to reliquish every other weekend in order to race, im not sure i will be able to finance it all myself,
its just in the process of deciding which kind of buisness and companies might possibly buy in to the idea???
ill let you know what response i get
Hope your spelling and grammar is better in the letters
Good luck dude
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #6

thought someone would put that, you wouldnt have thought i got to a's english woudnt you
dont worry ive got my mum to proof read it all
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #7

in answer to dans question i think you can offer alot
IMO the boats race, so therfore you have a following to begin with
they go around most of the country, so therfore, you are subject to a wide range of audiences
you also have to trailer the boat, now i dont know about you, but if i see a boat on the motorway, especially a "race" boat ie not a fletcher bayliner etc, it does grab your attention
you aso have practice time, where then the boat is sat on the prom etc, i couldnt tell you how many people have taken intrest, pictures, asked questions etc about the boat this year alone
v24, 2lt, OCR and proboby even k class have sponsors, i definatey rekon there i scope
like i said, i plan to do the whole year next year and spend all the winter months practicing, and taking into account lost earnings etc i dont see it viable to do it without some help
but... if it doesnt all go to plan, i can always just do a few
theres no harm in trying
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Like I say good luck to you and fingers crossed you will rasie thre funds to allow you to ski next year.
Couple of points tho, when I overtake a trails bike on the motorway (on a trailer) I am normally travelling a little to fast to look at the sponsers on the trailer, yes its a race "kinda" vehicle but not one that interest me to much. And for example, if you get sponsered by your local newsagent then tow the boat 500miles away do you think people in ...whereever 500miles away are will nip down to YOUR local newsagent to buy the paper?
Agree with your point about practice time etc etc but, I look out for boats cos thats what interests me, I could overtake the greatest caravan in the world going down the M5 but cos its not my thing I dont really take much notice hence would never look who it was manufactured/sponsered by.
If I could suggest one thing thats to get your local media interested first, then the sponsers will come, without that I see the sponsership as a good will gesture as opposed to "sponsership". Look at honda for example, big name, reasoanble media coverage and look at the boats surprise surprise they have "reasoanable" sponsership.
Please dont take this the wrong way, I thought the same back along, but I just struggle to see the justification why any (apart from family and friends) businesses would plough there cash into anything that offers little in return. All IMVHO.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #9

Time for some Brutal honesty.

The BBC covered the worlds in '79. It was fansastic.

Did it help?

No!

Why?

Water Ski Racing in it's current format is BORING to watch. It's a scientific fact that the majority of peoples attention span is 15 mins. Terefore lets have the races for 15 mins! We could have more than 1 per formula i.e 2 or 3 main and support.

Who likes skiing for an hour?

Come on lets get it moving!
speedskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #10

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Ive said this before, going back a few years I thought the grand prix in Plymouth worked well and the whole event was sponsered by Bartercard, not sure what happend but they didnt seem to hang around long!
Worth bearing in mind that I assume sponsers would come forward if there name was up in lights on the TV or at least in the local rag, unfortunaly this is few and far between so its catch 22, you need the media to get spnsership but you need the sponsorship to get the media coverage......all IMVHO

Freedon, good effort if you write to loads of firms but what are you going to offer them? Dont get me wrong its worth a go but you just need to have a carrot to dangle! You might get a few that do it for tax reasons tho.......
There is one problem with Sponsorship !! Even if you dont like or dont understand the company you still have to give something in return & not just crap on them !! fortunately i can still get along with Bartercard and Remember Sponsorship is not one sided !!

Bob
Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #11

Interests: Petrolhead
Boat name: Wayne Kerr
Boat make: Phantom xl
Engines: Mercury 2.5, 200(ish)
Cruising area: Essex, Hampshire, Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Remember Sponsorship is not one sided !! Bob
errr ---humm !!!
Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #12

Boat name: hotshot
Boat make: cyclone 21
Engines: mercury 280
Cruising area: global

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedskier View Post

Did it help?

No!

Why?

Water Ski Racing in it's current format is BORING to watch. It's a scientific fact that the majority of peoples attention span is 15 mins. Terefore lets have the races for 15 mins! We could have more than 1 per formula i.e 2 or 3 main and support.

Ifs thats the case why arent football stadiums empty after 15 mins , very controversial statement from some one who cant ski for too long nowadays!!!
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #13

I'm glad that got a reaction.

The proof of the pudding's in the eating. How many races were you at, at Hunstanton this year?

The idea is to make changes to benefit the sport. If no one want's to have shorter races then they won't happen.

There are a lot of people I speak to that agree that short races would benefit competitors and spectators.

Ooooo a bit controversial

can too, so there.

Stop being childish; you started it.
speedskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #14

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Shorter Races

Any of you watch the OCR Heats at Torquay!! Saturday 2 x 25 Min Heats Sunday 1 x 55 min Heat.

Which were the best to watch ?? Which had most Spectators ??

Even if they keep the same length, PLEASE bring it closer to shore.

Bob
Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #15

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

Quote:

Did it help?

No!

Why?

One word "BULLSHIT"
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #16

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Quote:
Any of you watch the OCR Heats at Torquay!! Saturday 2 x 25 Min Heats Sunday 1 x 55 min Heat.

Bob

Best place to watch the OCR was the Harbour wall, really enjoyed it, On the Sunday race thought Green Racing with the 140 Evinrude where going to get spat out again like they did on Saturday, 10/10 entertainment, could hardly get a place at the harbour wall to sit,
Watched most of the other races from Blinddogs RIB.
The comment from the Green racing guys during a bit of banter on Sunday morning , they said we prefer the longer race, we suggested was this so they get plenty time to climb back in when they go swimming,
Before their engine started to play up they were winning, so they where right.
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #17

Boat name: hotshot
Boat make: cyclone 21
Engines: mercury 280
Cruising area: global

Quote:
I'm glad that got a reaction.

The proof of the pudding's in the eating. How many races were you at, at Hunstanton this year?

The idea is to make changes to benefit the sport. If no one want's to have shorter races then they won't happen.

There are a lot of people I speak to that agree that short races would benefit competitors and spectators.

Ooooo a bit controversial

can too, so there.

Stop being childish; you started it.
NOT WORTH A RESPONSE, BUT IM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE WACKY!!
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Kinnell! I thought ski racing was all sweetness & kisses! this is like offshore!!!

Fight, Fight, Fight

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #19

Well ive gotta say, Ski Racing is a very niche sport with a small following. But as long as you guys enjoy what your doing, what does it matter.

Personally, id travel to see a powerboat race and id travel to see waterski jump, slalom or freestyle. But i wouldnt go out of my way to watch waterski racing, i just dont understand it!!! Its a bit like sidecar racing i guess, its neither one or the other.

But the important thing is that you all persue the sports that you like and enjoy the participation.

Good luck with obtaining sponsorship.

Oh, and the world needs "Media" like a hole in the head.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #20
JBP

Quote:

Bob
Worked well at Dover too.

we found that the shorter heats become more intense and in some cases the action really happens in the first several laps, then it can become endurance i.e. hope someone breaks down/falls out etc.

We run 10, 20 & 35 min heats, however, just run 4x20min heats for our E9000s which worked well may be the future to keep the interest levels up.

JBP is offline   Reply With Quote