Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 23-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
HTS/Apache

I think this has been covered before somewhere but I am curious as to whether HTS, which won the London to Monte-Carlo race in 1972, became the famous Class 11 Apache and if so what has happened to it/them since Basildon closed?
ML.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS__1973.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	27573  
__________________

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Occupation: Ex marine engineer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I think this has been covered before somewhere but I am curious as to whether HTS, which won the London to Monte-Carlo race in 1972, became the famous Class 11 Apache and if so what has happened to it/them since Basildon closed?
ML.
.
Yes you are right it's the same boat, David Hagan removed the hull from Basildon when it closed, he has the lovely old boat at his house and in a bran near Sway.
__________________

Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Yes you are right it's the same boat, David Hagan removed the hull from Basildon when it closed, he has the lovely old boat at his house and in a bran near Sway.
Thanks Jim, I know David and will contact him. I would love to see that old boat once again for several reasons.
ML.
.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Hts

Hi Mike

Please indulge my ignorance and allow me to ask you a bit about the background of HTS Apache. What a beautiful craft.

Best wishes,

Rob Gray

Ps did you hear that I bought Andy Macateer's Tecno 40? Bring on the white coats .......
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Mike Lloyd's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Cornwall.
Occupation: Retired.
Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall.
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
Hi Mike

Please indulge my ignorance and allow me to ask you a bit about the background of HTS Apache. What a beautiful craft.

Best wishes,

Rob Gray

Ps did you hear that I bought Andy Macateer's Tecno 40? Bring on the white coats .......
Hi Rob,

Am answering your question re HTS/Apache by PM which will have to be later!

Re the Techno, yes I had heard. Great boat and great history to it. I have film of it running on the last leg of the RB08 if you want it. They were moving fast that day and crossed the line first overall but missed the final turn buoy which cost them!!!!
Best rgds
Mike.
.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Country: UK
Location: Hampshire
Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 690
HTS/Apache

This Souter built boat was originally built for Ralph Hilton, who ran a transport (lorry/truck) company in the eastern part of London in the 60's.
He chose the race No. 858 as it was the area dialling code for that part of London, & the two-tone blue & white livery was that on his company vehicles.
It was, to my humble memory, the only race boat to be powered by Leyland diesel engines, of 200 hp originally. (Something to do with Leyland truck engines & a link to Hilton's business I belive).
The Leylands were not the best, but did power HTS to a stage win, on the east coast of Scotland, (Inverness/Dundee ?), in the first Round Britain Race in 1969.
The boat was re-powered with Ford (Sabre ?) diesels later, & a new boat [HTS 2] shorter on oal was also built, before Mr Hilton stopped racing & the boat was sold. (Do I remember correctly that RH spent some time at HM's pleasure ?).
HTS (1) did, of course, distinguish itself in the London/Monte Carlo Race in '72, & after the name change, in David Hagan's ownership, won the World Class 2 championship off Italy.
Along the way it gained a second place ( I Think) in a CTC race, & many other great acheivements.
One of the classics, thats for sure.
MJN
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Occupation: Ex marine engineer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
This Souter built boat was originally built for Ralph Hilton, who ran a transport (lorry/truck) company in the eastern part of London in the 60's.
He chose the race No. 858 as it was the area dialling code for that part of London, & the two-tone blue & white livery was that on his company vehicles.
It was, to my humble memory, the only race boat to be powered by Leyland diesel engines, of 200 hp originally. (Something to do with Leyland truck engines & a link to Hilton's business I belive).
The Leylands were not the best, but did power HTS to a stage win, on the east coast of Scotland, (Inverness/Dundee ?), in the first Round Britain Race in 1969.
The boat was re-powered with Ford (Sabre ?) diesels later, & a new boat [HTS 2] shorter on oal was also built, before Mr Hilton stopped racing & the boat was sold. (Do I remember correctly that RH spent some time at HM's pleasure ?).
HTS (1) did, of course, distinguish itself in the London/Monte Carlo Race in '72, & after the name change, in David Hagan's ownership, won the World Class 2 championship off Italy.
Along the way it gained a second place ( I Think) in a CTC race, & many other great acheivements.
One of the classics, thats for sure.
MJN
Yes Martin you are mostly right, but missed out 3 owners.. Ralph Hilton sold both boats to David Blackford he raced HTS 1 a couple of times and sold the two boat on to Charles Gill, I fitted the Stern Drives and Engines from HTS 11 in to HTS 1 which Charles called (I Like it ) he raced the boat for a year very successively.
It was then owned by John Craxford he put the boat back to the original HTS colours he race it for a year. Then David Hagan bought if off Craxford and called it Apache.
I rigged and looked after the two boats from new and right through to their retirement. 1968 to 1980's ??? The speed ranged from 45 mph to 79mph.
Mike Lloyd's photo at the top of the thread was when it was owned by John Craxford.
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,041
The said craft in the course of building (right,2nd down),when wood was king.

The same hull lines were used for Avenger OO7 and Miss Dunhill/Unohoo boats,and even the same deadrise of 25 degrees used on some old hooker called Unoembassy!

Fancy Rob thinking it looked good,and having a boat from the same stable.Spooky!

Oh,and it was built 1969.10yrs of your life Jimbo well spent.Better than that nice rivetted cat you had nightmares over.

BTW a wheelhouse shot for `The Catweazle` also appears.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1969 Round Britain Preparations.pdf (1.67 MB, 232 views)
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Occupation: Ex marine engineer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 175
Sorry Graham I was 1 year out !!! it was such a long time ago.
It was when wood was king, I remember when the boat was stopped from entering as Class 2 Cabbing Cruiser, !!!!! I remember removing so much wood from the interior of the hull, that with engines and drives but dry she was 3 tons 18 cwt
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Uno

For an old hooker she sure is a good ride with her 25 deg deadrise!
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 425
Beken Calendar 1980

In Apache warpaint...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache Beken Calendar (Large).jpg
Views:	470
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	27642  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 425
1979 World Class II Champions

From Powerboat & Waterskiing, Dec 1979...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Venice Worlds PB&W Dec79 p25 (Large).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	27643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Venice Worlds PB&W Dec79 p26+27 (Large).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	27644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vence Worlds PB&W Dec79 p28 (Large).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	27645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Worlds PB&W Dec79 p29 (Large).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	27646  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 425
And the rest...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worlds P&W Dec79 p30 (Large).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	27647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Worlds PB&W Dec79 p31 (Large).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	27648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Worlds PB&W Dec79 p32 (Large).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	27649  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered User
 
littlenige's Avatar
 
Country: Spain

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,721
Fish pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I%20LIKE%20IT%20(1975)%20copy.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	27653   Click image for larger version

Name:	My photos 1753.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	27654  
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,041
Those Souter hulls had 4 lams of 6mm cedar in their hull skins,and still with main girders,whereas I think the cougar cats had 6mm ply with stringers from memory.Ok cats don`t take as much of a bashing,but even so,real old tough boats those Souter builds,and they burned quite well too.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
Fish pic?
Correct.

Taking up watercolours then ,now no races to go to.You`ll have Marco putting in an order for a complete set of 36ft ciggys for Xmas.

That top pic is the Aga Khan`s dayboat with superstructure styling by Pinnafarina.Built by Souter.Always remember Mike Souter putting some West epoxy in the middle of the frames for extra strength,which we all had a laugh about.He thought in the middle of a strength member was where to put it,not the extremities of the section where all the tension/compression was.

The bottom pic is King of Spain`s gas turbine 50kt Fortuna, built by Palmer Johnson in Canada.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Occupation: Ex marine engineer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 175
Here is something some of you may not know, when going racing throughout some of the years of HTS and Apache's race life, we would injected oxygen into the Turbo Chargers and tow the boat up on the plane behind any boat we could finned to help, it was all a bit dangerous, all the photos you see of Apache close behind a boat, it has just been tow on the plane.
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
Registered User
 
olli's Avatar
 
Country: Germany

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 319
Shahbaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
That top pic is the Aga Khan`s dayboat with superstructure styling by Pinnafarina.Built by Souter.Always remember Mike Souter putting some West epoxy in the middle of the frames for extra strength,which we all had a laugh about.He thought in the middle of a strength member was where to put it,not the extremities of the section where all the tension/compression was.
Nice boat:
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Country: UK
Location: Hampshire
Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Yes Martin you are mostly right, but missed out 3 owners.. Ralph Hilton sold both boats to David Blackford he raced HTS 1 a couple of times and sold the two boat on to Charles Gill, I fitted the Stern Drives and Engines from HTS 11 in to HTS 1 which Charles called (I Like it ) he raced the boat for a year very successively.
It was then owned by John Craxford he put the boat back to the original HTS colours he race it for a year. Then David Hagan bought if off Craxford and called it Apache.
I rigged and looked after the two boats from new and right through to their retirement. 1968 to 1980's ??? The speed ranged from 45 mph to 79mph.
Mike Lloyd's photo at the top of the thread was when it was owned by John Craxford.
Quite right Jim.
I "simplified" the "history" for the sake of time/space.
I remember Charles Gill in the boat (then coloured red & white), & as you correctly say, David Blackford & John Craxford were the other owners.
Thanks for your expert memories on a fine boat.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Country: UK
Location: Hampshire
Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Here is something some of you may not know, when going racing throughout some of the years of HTS and Apache's race life, we would injected oxygen into the Turbo Chargers and tow the boat up on the plane behind any boat we could finned to help, it was all a bit dangerous, all the photos you see of Apache close behind a boat, it has just been tow on the plane.
I remember hearing about this.
Am I right in thinking I heard the same technique applied to John Craxford's alloy cat too ? (Or am I thinking of when John had HTS ?)
__________________

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×