Boatmad.com

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Race Results in Gallery

Before the old server went ker-plunk, I remember that a large number of race results sheets were available in the Gallery - I think under Graham's Library.

I, like many others I'm sure, found these a really useful quick reference source when looking for the who, what, when and where of historic offshore races.

Jon - any chance of getting these uploaded again please?

Cesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #2

Race Results

The problem that needs overcoming with this is,how to put them on the site easily,and how to update them easily.Matt spent a lot of time re formatting what I had done on spreadsheets to get it into the site,but to update it as one continually does,was a big job.The spreadsheets I do update.Jon has an updated disc with all this on,but the blocker is deciding the easy route to putting them on the site.We are hoping for some whizz-kid idea to get on there.I did give Timtap a copy of this,but never heard anymore so I assume he got it.Perhap he has a bright idea to deal with it.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
timtap

Interests: Photography, Real Ale .
Boat name: Shooters Too
Boat make: Scarab 22SC
Engines: Mercruiser 270hp
Cruising area: South West

Send a message via Yahoo to timtap
Never recieved it !!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #4

I can only assume it was so big the system got choked with it.We`ll see if Jon has made any progress with getting it on to the site.There must come a point where we know if it can be workable or not.To go back to what Matt had done would be mind boggling,it must have used up all his patience dealing with it.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

No, it's not big at all, just need to address the job of how I'm going to do it.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Why not make a ZIP file of each year, and then have a download link?
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

Firstly,don`t want to clog Jon up with another job until the Batch 2 of the films are on the site.
From my point of view,where the results are on spreadsheets in sub-folders for each year and all those in turn are on a folder for `Master Race Results`,it would suit that when I update,the modified sub-folders are directly put into sub folders on the Boatmad site,so you open the ` Master Race Results ` up in the same way I do,select the sub folder year and go into whatever spreadsheet year you want.
Thanks for your comments John,will no doubt use any ideas like that when the job in hand comes up.
Old 14-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Originally, I just took each spreadsheet of results and printed them as a seperate PDF by (I think) event & year - easy to do, just took a bit of time.
I had also written a little mysql database with php script for front end to allow a somewhat more interactive experience - ie filter by event, year, boat, etc.
It's also v. easy to do - just time consuming converting all the spreadsheets to upload, but the end result is great. The other challenge is making it a gallery "module", so it integrates nicely with the pictures. With hindsight, mighta just been easier saving each results sheet as "basic" HTML, and let google handle the searching.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #9

Sorting results

I`m glad you posted that Matt.It just shows the work needed to get this history on to a site, where it`s there as a reference for all time.Certainly no five minute job to do it,that goes for the films as well.