Boatmad.com

Old 26-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #21

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Not surprising if they tried to race it without the aid of a ferry.
Sorry - car should be "cat", as in catamaran !
I know I'm a useless typist !

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #22

Found this in RAF wroughton during the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image342.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	29235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image343.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	29236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image344.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	29237  

Iain May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #23

Good to see her somewhere safe (..and dry!)

Curious about RAF Wroughton, I found this on Multimap:

RAF Wroughton (Science Museum Swindon)
RAF Wroughton, just south of the village, closed in the 1990s and is now the Science Museum Swindon, a part of the National Museum of Science and Industry and used as a storage site occasionally open to the public.

Thanks for passing-on the location and for the pictures Iain..
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #24

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

One of the CMBA members who lives near Wroughton went to see them a couple of years ago about the Basildon collection & whilst interested, they were not able to help with much as they are only really interested in 'one off's' or the 'first of's' but it is good to know that Surfury (which fits the bill on both counts) is there as she is, if nothing else, safe & dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy_cat View Post
As well as the physical exhibits , it would be interesting to know what Basildon intends doing with the large amount of archive materials that I believe they held. Be a shame for that to end up in a skip somewhere.
The library is safe, if a little split up at the moment. Nothing has been lost or got rid of, in theory at least. It is I believe, all destined for the bunker in Salcombe see THIS THREAD
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #25

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

I wonder what else from the museum is stored at Wroughton ? did I see a picture on here of Unipart John Yeomans Cougar cat at Basildon ?
Old 15-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #26

Unipart Cat

Think this is what you are referring to. This was there just before the museum closed I believe

In the view from the rear left, you can see the nose of another nice offshore style boat, Apache if memeory serves correctly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2509.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	29384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2430.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	29385   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2419.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	29386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2247.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	29387  
tiggy_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #27

Tut tut

Ian states that as a gift to the nation that Surfury is owned and controlled entirely by the National Maritime Museum. Shame that. If you view their site and search on the word 'Surfury' the result is:-

"We're sorry, there are no objects in our database that match your search."
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #28

Surfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris grayer View Post
I have been able to re-instate the website dedicated to "Surfury" www.surfury.co.uk that fell over when I moved to the USA earlier this year - the site needs updating and I invite all with any news of what has happened to her since the demise of Basildon. Also any old photos lurking in collections would be welcome.

Any photos of other Levi designs or Souter built craft would be specifically welcome

Surfury must not be allowed to die - she is arguably the most important offshore craft that has not had its future secured.

I also want to include links to any other restoration projects that are being undertaken.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I wanted to donate some money towards Surfury renovation and very disapointed after all this time to find that a fund is not in place, i feel that if money isn't raised for Surfury she will be sold to America who are interested in showing her along side American power boat legend Ghost Rider who has been renovated, i understand Surfury's time is running out at Birseldon and they have other priority boats to restore before Surfury , maybe Surfury will be sold to help fund this which would be very sad. I feel time is running out and a renovation fund for Surfury should be set up and with money raised may help her stay in the UK something the Gardner Bothers would be happy about im sure, after all they left her to us all the people.
KINCADE47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #29

Surfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris grayer View Post
I have been able to re-instate the website dedicated to "Surfury" www.surfury.co.uk that fell over when I moved to the USA earlier this year - the site needs updating and I invite all with any news of what has happened to her since the demise of Basildon. Also any old photos lurking in collections would be welcome.

Any photos of other Levi designs or Souter built craft would be specifically welcome

Surfury must not be allowed to die - she is arguably the most important offshore craft that has not had its future secured.

I also want to include links to any other restoration projects that are being undertaken.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I wanted to donate some money towards Surfury renovation and very disapointed after all this time to find that a fund is not in place, i feel that if money isn't raised for Surfury she will be sold to America who are interested in showing her along side American power boat legend Ghost Rider who has been renovated, i understand Surfury's time is running out at Birseldon and they have other priority boats to restore before Surfury , maybe Surfury will be sold to help fund this which would be very sad. I feel time is running out and a renovation fund for Surfury should be set up and with money raised may help her stay in the UK something the Gardner Bothers would be happy about im sure, after all they left her to us all the people.
Regards
Dan
KINCADE47
Old 20-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #30

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
Ian states that as a gift to the nation that Surfury is owned and controlled entirely by the National Maritime Museum. Shame that. If you view their site and search on the word 'Surfury' the result is:-

"We're sorry, there are no objects in our database that match your search."
I gree with you Surfury should be owned by the people and the National Boat Museum should be looking after her for everyone, i feel that even with all the support for Surfury here in the UK she could be sold to America who may have funds in place, if the National Maritime Museum need money to restore other boats then selling of Surfury may go towards this, i would like to know if they intend to renovate Surfury at anytime or do they feel it will never happen due to costs, if the latter is the case then they need more help and a renovation fund for Surfury should be set up by them or friends of Surfury.
regards
Dan
KINCADE47
Old 15-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #31

Essex Council should of never closed the museum down where she was on display
stormin177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #32

Interests: Le Mans Power Boats GOODWOOD Revival
Boat name: THUNDERBOLT 1961 COWES TORQUAY WINNER
Boat make: CHRISTINA 25
Engines: 2 5 litre Chevrolets total 440 hp
Cruising area: Solent

Unipart Lambs

After the closure of the Museum UNIPART was left outside with no one interested but after a concerted campaigne by Roy Cooper of FASTONWATER
she has now hopefully found a home and will be restored.

as regards the other lost soul SURFURY there is very little anyone can do as she was "Gifted to the Nation " and as such cannot be returned to private hands..not even the Gardner Family...The NMM CAN DO WITH HER WHAT THEY WISH......she could have gone to the NMM Museum in Fowey BUT THAT WOULD HAVE MEAN'T SAWING HER IN HALF to gain entry through the doors.

The only chance of getting her back in to the public domain is for a Charitable trust to be formed and a request made for her to be loaned for display but there is no where suitable! at the moment not even the East Cowes Museum....so the future is still very bleak for her unless someone knows of a means that we do not!

Mike
COPC
THUNDERBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #33

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

where is surfury now
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #34

Interests: Le Mans Power Boats GOODWOOD Revival
Boat name: THUNDERBOLT 1961 COWES TORQUAY WINNER
Boat make: CHRISTINA 25
Engines: 2 5 litre Chevrolets total 440 hp
Cruising area: Solent

Surfury

She is currently in rented storage facilities at the old RAF WROUGHTON NEAR SWINDON if you wish to visit her an appointment has to be made.
THUNDERBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #35

Surfury

Have made enquiries to Greenwich, National Maritime. To make an appointment and am still waiting..... In the meantime I am restoring My Sonny Levi Delta Hydrosonic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DELTA NOV13.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	43307  
JonFurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #36

the museum

Was always in the control of the parks manager who was simply an overpowered Basildon council employee and instrumental in the closing of the museum....to him it was just an expensive overhead that didn't figure in the parks running costs
DYNAPLANE-PACESETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #37

Interests: MOTOR RACE MARSHAL WATCHING OFFSHORE
Boat name: NONE
Boat make: NONE
Engines: TURBO DIESEL
Cruising area: SOLENT

Surfury

It is with great sadness I have to report that Ivor Verlander who rode mechanic/shotgun on the legendary SURFURY with the Gardner brothers has passed away aged 80 . RIP Ivor.
COLIN C BUSHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #38

Interests: Classic Powerboats, Music and Fashion
Boat name: Deja Vu
Boat make: Classic: 1976 Seacraft 23 foot
Engines: Yamaha 240HP
Cruising area: Salcombe & South Hams

[QUOTE=JonFurley;251696]Have made enquiries to Greenwich, National Maritime. To make an appointment and am still waiting..... In the meantime I am restoring My Sonny Levi Delta Hydrosonic[/QUOTE

Your Delta looks fantastic John, so good to see - a worthy tribute to the great legacy of the Levi Deltas and those that raced them

chris grayer is offline   Reply With Quote