Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

re listed back on ebay

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
It would be interesting to know if Firecracker was Crescendo modified,but I have my doubts.Can`t see the pattern of Crescendo having that chine right forward,yet still referred to as a tremlett,whereas the others i.e.Island Hopper etc came from the Offshore Powerboat stable,unless of course Crescendo was an Offshore Powerboat with a Tremlett bottom.Be handy if your man `Blue Mist`,could clarify.Digging into the builders history throws up all sorts of odd info every time.
I spoke to the owner of ' Firecracker ' yesterday. It's his understanding that Firecracker was designed and built specifically for racing by Chris Tremlett.
She is still much as when originally built including her 250HP Perkins diesels. As a side issue the owner has acquired 'Prawn Cocktail' which is undergoing a complete restoration in the IOW. Designed by Don Shead and built by Souters/Woodnuts, shown running a Holman Moody 427 Ford in the 1970/71 CTC, the owner thinks she may have been built from the plug of Telstar? Could anybody confirm.......FF? Just to confuse, there is a boat called Snoopy in the 1969 CTC entry list with the same race number 044 and spec, could this be the same boat?

Blue mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #23

Snoopy

Snoopy became Prawn Cocktail.
It could well be that Prawn Cocktail`s lines are as Telstar,they certainly look the same.No separate design number was given for Prawn Cocktail and only Telstar`s hull lines were drawn,no modified drawings for other boats done.It was probably agreed over the phone that Souter could build another Telstar hull.When you think the only drawings done for Telstar were the hull lines and the odd sterngear drawing,the rest decided on site.Your chum Norman Titcombe may know,Brian,he probably had a hand in building it.
Thanks for sorting Firecracker.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #24

Snoopy

I will speak to Norman.
Blue mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #25

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Prawn Cocktail had sat outside under some tarps for many many years (in Woodnutts Yard) - quite a few people had tried to buy her without luck as well. So good to here she is being restored.

By coincidence there is also the 28 Magnum called Snoopy - and that is also on the Isle of Wight.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #26
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Snoopy (Magnum) used to be parked up off Kensington High Street many years ago (Airlie Gardens) used to walk past it on the way to school

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #27

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Quote:
I always thought Crescendo became Firecracker, because if it did ,look at the chine position.It has the two Tremlett type locations at gunwale.Was that modified a la Island Hopper? The odd thing is ,all the `Tremlett` boats that are credited with a different builder i.e. Offshore Powerboats,Stapley,have the chine located almost at bow,which makes Island Hopper even more confusing as it was an Offshore Powerboat build,short of moving it.There again both Crescendo and Firecracker are listed as Tremlett.Ummmm!
Hey Guys, just thought i'd add a little extra on this Tremlett saga, there was also another 'Racing Tremlett' back in the 70's called Sandy Bay Girl, i used to see a fair bit on the river Exe, i think was then a retired racer back then, i was still a kid mind you on my dad's Westerly sail boat. If my memory serves me right Sandy Bay Girl looked very similar to the boat Firecracker in question, it might well have been the same boat even, be intereting to find out.
Mark
Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #28

I remember it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANDY BAY GIRL _1975_.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	36922  
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #29

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

This was a tremlett owned by Nat "The Thatcher", and he built his own surface drive for it.

He used to race against my parents Richard and Sue Griffith when they had their Tremlett "Anything Goes".
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #30

Cruising area: southwest

Sandy bay Girl

Hi
See earlier in this thread for a bit more ...
Sandy Bay Girl built 1973/4 on the banks of the River Clyst. Definetly not the same boat as Jack Renouf's 'Firecracker'. The SBG hull was designed/built by Nat Barkwill and had a Tremlett fibreglass deck put on top.
Originally named "Miss Supercavitation" until Mid August 1975 when John Lee of Sandy Bay Holiday Park purchased a new engine ('Blue Special' Perkins 6.354 dot 3 spec) as we blew a con rod out the side during the 1975 Needles International Race only a week before the big one ... the CTC.
The new engine was put in by the boat owner, designer and builder Thatcher (genius) Nathan Barkwill in the next couple of days in Poole and we won the CTC Beaverbrook Trophy a few days later.
This boat was the first boat racing (@ Lymington National 1974) "Offshore" to use Surface Drive supercavitating propulsion.
John Crouse and a few others thought (wrongly) that Telstar with her Daytona Strut and equipoise prop was the first.
She held the UK National CC2 Record at Windermere 75, making her the fastest cabin cruiser in the World but did not officially get the World Record as the UK national speed was, although a higher speed, was less than the required 2% higher to officially qualify.
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesthotcat View Post
Hi
See earlier in this thread for a bit more ...
Sandy Bay Girl built 1973/4 on the banks of the River Clyst. Definetly not the same boat as Jack Renouf's 'Firecracker'. The SBG hull was designed/built by Nat Barkwill and had a Tremlett fibreglass deck put on top.
Originally named "Miss Supercavitation" until Mid August 1975 when John Lee of Sandy Bay Holiday Park purchased a new engine ('Blue Special' Perkins 6.354 dot 3 spec) as we blew a con rod out the side during the 1975 Needles International Race only a week before the big one ... the CTC.
The new engine was put in by the boat owner, designer and builder Thatcher (genius) Nathan Barkwill in the next couple of days in Poole and we won the CTC Beaverbrook Trophy a few days later.
This boat was the first boat racing (@ Lymington National 1974) "Offshore" to use Surface Drive supercavitating propulsion.
John Crouse and a few others thought (wrongly) that Telstar with her Daytona Strut and equipoise prop was the first.
She held the UK National CC2 Record at Windermere 75, making her the fastest cabin cruiser in the World but did not officially get the World Record as the UK national speed was, although a higher speed, was less than the required 2% higher to officially qualify.
Great bit of history, i can see by littlenige's pic of SBG that she is different from Firecracker. At least now i know all of her History, does anybody know if SBG still exists..?
Mark
Old 22-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #32

Quote:
I always thought Crescendo became Firecracker, because if it did ,look at the chine position.It has the two Tremlett type locations at gunwale.Was that modified a la Island Hopper? The odd thing is ,all the `Tremlett` boats that are credited with a different builder i.e. Offshore Powerboats,Stapley,have the chine located almost at bow,which makes Island Hopper even more confusing as it was an Offshore Powerboat build,short of moving it.There again both Crescendo and Firecracker are listed as Tremlett.Ummmm!
Firecracker was bought from Tremlett as a bare hull and finished by my father Jack Renouf.
johnrenouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #33

Agree with John Renouf, above Firecracker was one, if not the first, 32' bare hull 'skins', sold with transom on, by Chris T. Definitely was the first successful one. Even with a fairly steep shaft angle ran over 50 mph across Torbay after fitting out, on an early test, and that was fast in them days.
Firecracker gave Nat Barkwill the idea of building Sandy Bay Girl and he thought hard to resolve the steep prop shaft angles that he strongly (& correctly) believed were taking a lot of potential off Firecracker's speed; so he put surface drives on Sandy Bay Girl! And so SBG became the first offshore racing boat to race with supercavitating surface props (Lymington National Race in 1974). He stayed at Jack Renouf's at the time of the race and after during the salvage of SBG as she went green when running alongside the OP1 Blitz when the 'cabin class' specified cooker on SBG fell through a hole that appeared in the bottom of the light lay up SBG (as Fabio says - "you can learn more after a day's racing on the Solent, than a year of testing anywhere else"!). SBG's liferaft was put to immediate important use and was inflated inside the cabin to keep her afloat. Nat says Jack R helped him out a lot. He had already assisted him locating 2 x dot 3 blue Perkins racing Perkins engines (the first 250 hp racing turbo diesels made) and they were "like rocking horse shit" to get hold of. Both Firecracker and Sandy Bay Girl won the Beaverbrook Trophy in the 70's.
Crescendo was an earlier 4 x 200 hp Jaguar engined boat, owned by W. Andrews and somewhat different story with no connection other than the River Exe (the prime home of offshore racing). The selling of 'skins' by Chris Tremlett was the origin of the confusing 'other' builders mentioned with Tremlett's hulls - such as 'Offshore Powerboats' of the Strand in Topsham, Ray Stapley ('cut em down the middle take a bit off each side and glue em back together'), etc.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #34

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesthotcat View Post
Agree with John Renouf, above Firecracker was one, if not the first, 32' bare hull 'skins', sold with transom on, by Chris T. Definitely was the first successful one. Even with a fairly steep shaft angle ran over 50 mph across Torbay after fitting out, on an early test, and that was fast in them days.
Firecracker gave Nat Barkwill the idea of building Sandy Bay Girl and he thought hard to resolve the steep prop shaft angles that he strongly (& correctly) believed were taking a lot of potential off Firecracker's speed; so he put surface drives on Sandy Bay Girl! And so SBG became the first offshore racing boat to race with supercavitating surface props (Lymington National Race in 1974). He stayed at Jack Renouf's at the time of the race and after during the salvage of SBG as she went green when running alongside the OP1 Blitz when the 'cabin class' specified cooker on SBG fell through a hole that appeared in the bottom of the light lay up SBG (as Fabio says - "you can learn more after a day's racing on the Solent, than a year of testing anywhere else"!). SBG's liferaft was put to immediate important use and was inflated inside the cabin to keep her afloat. Nat says Jack R helped him out a lot. He had already assisted him locating 2 x dot 3 blue Perkins racing Perkins engines (the first 250 hp racing turbo diesels made) and they were "like rocking horse shit" to get hold of. Both Firecracker and Sandy Bay Girl won the Beaverbrook Trophy in the 70's.
Crescendo was an earlier 4 x 200 hp Jaguar engined boat, owned by W. Andrews and somewhat different story with no connection other than the River Exe (the prime home of offshore racing). The selling of 'skins' by Chris Tremlett was the origin of the confusing 'other' builders mentioned with Tremlett's hulls - such as 'Offshore Powerboats' of the Strand in Topsham, Ray Stapley ('cut em down the middle take a bit off each side and glue em back together'), etc.
Brilliant,
I love all this boat history stuff..
Old 26-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #35

Interests: Boats & Boats
Boat name: Kalaazar & " Side Winder "
Boat make: Fairline Targa 48, Magnum 27 Sport (1971)
Engines: Volvo 73P`s 430hp. Dart/Bontoft 383 ci`s
Cruising area: Poole Bay Etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childsy View Post
Brilliant,
I love all this boat history stuff..
And another piece of history is the fact that the basic transmission and running gear including the Vee drives for Sandy Bay Girl I sold to Nat when I re-engines "Magnum Tornado" so all those parts had been on the bottom of Lyme Bay beforehand. Best of all the Vee drives were handed but Nat thought that they sounded better running in the opposite hand so he ran them backwards to the cut of the gears. It worked though !!! Good old Cassel.
Ian Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Toll View Post
And another piece of history is the fact that the basic transmission and running gear including the Vee drives for Sandy Bay Girl I sold to Nat when I re-engines "Magnum Tornado" so all those parts had been on the bottom of Lyme Bay beforehand. Best of all the Vee drives were handed but Nat thought that they sounded better running in the opposite hand so he ran them backwards to the cut of the gears. It worked though !!! Good old Cassel.
Brilliant again, it just gets better... thanks for that Ian...!!
👌🏻
Old 28-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #37

Thanks Ian
Are you referring to SBG?
I thought the shafts were off Miss Dunhill - but am sure you're right as memory fades ...
The Casal box was fair bullet proof ... lasted through 1975 until Windermere Records Week. Seem to remember there were 2 gas turbine boats running that week. After breaking the National Cabin Class 2 record at a speed higher than the CC1- port forward Casal V-drive box started playing up on the way back to the pontoons and the last morning's run. The speed recorded was higher than the Argies' World Record - but by insufficient margin to classify as a World Record ... a bit of magic from 'Nat the Thatch' and now Friday 3pm. ... the Casal was back in place, ready for more punishment ... last day ... afternoon ... World Record at stake ... John Reed (YRA pwbt sec.) refused to let SBG run ... wait in the queue! ... for half a dozen Class IV's to do Performance Runs ... Too dark ... time to stop now ... After accompanying Nat as he eat 2 X T-bone steaks on the trot, in the pub next to the Lowood - trucked back home to the Exe with an illegal (too wide at 11ft) load plus a UK National Record - standing at a higher speed than the World Record ... Good old RYA somethings never change!