Boatmad.com

Old 24-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

avenger 21" in tasmania

hey fellas my first time on here. a couple of years ago i bought an old powerboat in sydney and no one could tell me what brand it was only that it came from england in the seventies . it was fitted with a sbc and volvo penta stern drive. one thing led to another and it now has a trs mercruiser and a stove hot 496 bbc. the other day i found your forum and now know that the old girl is an avenger 21". does anyone know where i might find a new windscreen as i only have the top and bottom moulds. cant wait to hit the water .

bigwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Sounds like a nice boat. Stick up some pictures.
How does it run with the 496?

I'd say you're out of luck on the screen, its a moulded screen so you'll probably need to talk to a local plastics shop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
topgun

Interests: Boats/bikes/Black label
Boat name: Flash Back/Avenger/Anchor Management
Boat make: Sunseeker San Remo/mini cougar/Cougar cat 25/Avenger 21
Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8
Cruising area: C.I.Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwad View Post
hey fellas my first time on here. a couple of years ago i bought an old powerboat in sydney and no one could tell me what brand it was only that it came from england in the seventies . it was fitted with a sbc and volvo penta stern drive. one thing led to another and it now has a trs mercruiser and a stove hot 496 bbc. the other day i found your forum and now know that the old girl is an avenger 21". does anyone know where i might find a new windscreen as i only have the top and bottom moulds. cant wait to hit the water .
Hi,

I have refurbed an Avenger 21 with a 300hp Volvo V8, the only way to get a screen was to have a stainless one measured and fabricated.
This cost £250.00 but is more sturdy than the oroginal curved perspex.

Good luck with the boat, let us know what performance you are getting with the 496

Regards

Steve
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #4

Hello and wellcome to the forum .
pain -tera 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #5

offset sterndrive

i,ll wack some photo,s on here when paint and trim is done as it looks fairly rank at the moment. can anyone think of a reason that the sterndrive ,trans and engine were all offset 60mm to one side of centre when i got the boat.
bigwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
topgun

Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8

Quote:
i,ll wack some photo,s on here when paint and trim is done as it looks fairly rank at the moment. can anyone think of a reason that the sterndrive ,trans and engine were all offset 60mm to one side of centre when i got the boat.
Hi Bigwad,

Avengers were around before duo-props were the norm so the offset was probably to allow for better balance and eliminate torque steer, I am sure there are others on this site that can give you more info.

Good luck with the refit, look forward to seeing some pics

Steve
Old 28-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
Hi Bigwad,

Avengers were around before duo-props were the norm
Steve
Are they?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
topgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Are they?
Yep on a normal cruiser/sports boat, I know by how many i have sold/fitted over the last thirty years

Maybe you can answer the guy better!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Yep on a normal cruiser/sports boat, I know by how many i have sold/fitted over the last thirty years

Maybe you can answer the guy better!
Not at all - totally agree on the reasons, just questioning that duoprops were the norm, I am more familiar with race and outboard setups where they aren't!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Good to hear you have identified the boat as an Avenger 21 as I have my second one after racing one of only two ever imported to South Africa in the Seventies and now that I am living in UK have just bought an original in line 6 inboard version that is totally original in every way but also needs a screen. I am now going to fit a V8 with Bravo 1 drive. Keep me informed on how you get on and send some pics please as I have been an Avenger fan since first seeing one race in 1970, awsome boat to drive and especially cornering as no other mono can lean over and corner like this boat, email me on grant@bobkatboats.com
Grant Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #11

Interests: Boats & Boats
Boat name: Kalaazar & " Side Winder "
Boat make: Fairline Targa 48, Magnum 27 Sport (1971)
Engines: Volvo 73P`s 430hp. Dart/Bontoft 383 ci`s
Cruising area: Poole Bay Etc

Quote:
Hi Bigwad,

Avengers were around before duo-props were the norm so the offset was probably to allow for better balance and eliminate torque steer, I am sure there are others on this site that can give you more info.

Good luck with the refit, look forward to seeing some pics

Steve
Absolutely true, not so much as torque steer but to counteract the side lift off the big old propellers. Us old boys used to offset a single engine buy up to 2 to 3" in order to keep the boat upright at speed.
Early Mercruiser sterndrive packages came without trim and a 409ci engine with 310 hp 4200 max RPM plus a 2:1 reduction. Those props would look like windmills now. Put that setup on the centre line and the boat would run in a straight line on its chine forever.

Ian Toll
Ian Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #12

avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Harrison View Post
Good to hear you have identified the boat as an Avenger 21 as I have my second one after racing one of only two ever imported to South Africa in the Seventies and now that I am living in UK have just bought an original in line 6 inboard version that is totally original in every way but also needs a screen. I am now going to fit a V8 with Bravo 1 drive. Keep me informed on how you get on and send some pics please as I have been an Avenger fan since first seeing one race in 1970, awsome boat to drive and especially cornering as no other mono can lean over and corner like this boat, email me on grant@bobkatboats.com
good luck with the screen grant, sorry i ever cut it down, but still prefer it with the lower profile. Give me a call when you want to move it, all the best, pete L.

pete lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote