Boatmad.com

Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Back 2 Basics

Raceboat International and Dorset Lake Club are debating whether to launch a new offshore race series in 2012 entitled ‘Back 2 Basics’. There are many owners of pleasure craft that would love to take part in the occasional race but don’t wish to become embroiled in all the paraphernalia that’s required to enter the National Championship. The ‘Yanks’ call Basic racing ‘Run what you Brung’ however there still has to be guidelines adhered to regarding safety as ‘Back to Basics’ is not to be considered as a licence for powerboating cowboys to strut their stuff.
The newly refurbished Dorset Lake Club boasts a superb location on the waterside of Poole Harbour and they played host to many of the Marathon boats that took part in the recent Anne Beakhurst Memorial Trophy event. Robin Culpan, a Director of Dorset Lake Club has taken part in more Cowes –Torquay races than possibly any other competitor. The concept of ‘Back 2 Basics’ is simple. Dorset Lake Club will be race HQ. Four races will be staged throughout the season and involve four classes. Upto 80hp - 100hp to 200hp - 200 to 300hp and 300hp upwards. Although registered raceboats will be welcome, the main aim is to create a series for craft that are not eligible for today’s class structure.

Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatric View Post
Raceboat International and Dorset Lake Club are debating whether to launch a new offshore race series in 2012 entitled ‘Back 2 Basics’. There are many owners of pleasure craft that would love to take part in the occasional race but don’t wish to become embroiled in all the paraphernalia that’s required to enter the National Championship. The ‘Yanks’ call Basic racing ‘Run what you Brung’ however there still has to be guidelines adhered to regarding safety as ‘Back to Basics’ is not to be considered as a licence for powerboating cowboys to strut their stuff.
The newly refurbished Dorset Lake Club boasts a superb location on the waterside of Poole Harbour and they played host to many of the Marathon boats that took part in the recent Anne Beakhurst Memorial Trophy event. Robin Culpan, a Director of Dorset Lake Club has taken part in more Cowes –Torquay races than possibly any other competitor. The concept of ‘Back 2 Basics’ is simple. Dorset Lake Club will be race HQ. Four races will be staged throughout the season and involve four classes. Upto 80hp - 100hp to 200hp - 200 to 300hp and 300hp upwards. Although registered raceboats will be welcome, the main aim is to create a series for craft that are not eligible for today’s class structure.
Its nothing new !! We have been trying to get this off the ground as Powerboat 2011 but it seems that these concepts are just too simple to understand !!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Back to Basics will have a Base

I know you've been working like hell to get your series up and running but we are hoping having a permanent base at Lake Drive Club with all its facilities etc. might make a difference. If it does'nt then it's back to the drawing board. Maybe the first 'Back2Basics' could be the Brass Monkey race as I still own that title
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

Sounds like a great idea Dave esp based in Poole ( not far to travel !) good luck getting it going .
Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Ok, imvho would it not make sense to back the powerboat 2011 plan going forward??
I'm unsure of the costs you think would be invloved in racing at your venue (per race, per team) and to a basic entry (like I would like to be very soon) cost is king, the last time I raced in ski racing I "think" the entry price per season was £600, that was based on a team of 3 and gave you entry to however many race weekends were on that season which looking at things is pretty good value and something I will do again next year.
The more splinter cell racing thats set up could only mean deteration of numbers in any national class/race series like what is being tried with powerboat 2011 series.
Dont get me wrong, I think it sounds ideal as club racing or back to basics as you call and I love the casualness of turn up in anything and race (like the "rally" held in Exmouth over the Christmas period) but I think in realality you need to back a national series of events and possibly look at a race weekend taking place at your venue.
Thats all in my opinion as an outsider looking in.
Cheers
Dan