Boatmad.com

Old 30-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #1

Interests: Powerboating
Boat name: Angel
Boat make: Blagg
Cruising area: Solent

Smile Blagg Speedboat

Can anyone help i have just bought a Blagg Speedboat, i dont know much about it, can anyone give any information about the boat. any pictures of one. also what engine to put on it.

HELP

Blagg208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

I was googling Blagg and found this, I used to build the Blagg 480 on a farm in Dorset in the late 70's.

I worked for a guy that built them, we had a 150hp Mercury outboard on our own boat.

They drove one from Oslo to Brighton for the boat show in the 70's.

I have been living in Stockholm since 1989, had tried to make contact again with Woody Blagg years ago to see about building them myself, have no idea where the moulds ended up.

HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
NickGT40

Interests: Boats, cars, motorbikes, RC Models
Boat make: Ring 21
Engines: 200 mercury
Cruising area: poole/christchurch

blagg speedboat

ive owned two 480 blaggs ill try and upload pitures very strong build my first one was an early boat white with dark blue stripe and black interior i had a 150 straight six merc on it and the second boat was very pretty white with a metalflake blue band and light blue interior it had a 115 yamaha v4 not much in top speed between them but the second boat handelled a lot better lower c of g These boats turn very flat and tight great fun being three pointers hence the deep bucket seats and i found mine intresting in a bit of a sea takes a while to get the best from one fantastic little boats. regards nick

Old Powerboats:
Phantom 23 (one of three ever made with lightweight hull )
Phantom 18, Crusader 21, Avenger 21, Avenger 16, Ring 16, Marshan 16
NickGT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

I was talking to a guy yesterday that sells all sorts of engine/boat parts on line about the Blagg Boats and showed a few pics to him, so just googled this morning and found this old post.

The ones we built had the light blue interior, and the blue metalflake stripe, remember being told to go easy on the metalflake, just make sure it glittered and back it up with darkblue gelcoat!

I think there was an improvement in windscreens and fitting around that time, saw a pic of one in the states with dark interior and just 2 bucket seats, I am pretty sure we fitted ours with rear seats too, a bench if memory serves right.

I seem to remember they sold for abit over £2000 they cost about £600 to build we got about that for a boat and Woody Blagg got £4-500 per boat as did the dealer/reseller.

We were building them in a barn/shed on the road down to Lulworth Cove, I think, its a long time ago.

They were alot of fun, remember being outside of Poole harbour where there is a tidal race, and having a wave break over the top of the boat, our demo boat was an early one with darker colours.

In the yard was an old 33ft pencil boat with modified cockpit to seat 12 for pleasure boat rides, 2 Chrysler Busy Bee's in it. Think it was called Miss Newfield.

There was also an 18ft cold moulded mahogany racing boat that had held the speed record in its class on Windermere in about 73 Miss Firefly, was offered that in lieu of wages one time at a value of £400! Being young and in need of cash said no! Regret that today
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
NickGT40

Interests: Boats, cars, motorbikes, RC Models
Boat make: Ring 21
Engines: 200 mercury
Cruising area: poole/christchurch

blagg480

yes thats right they had two very high sided bucket seats in the front with a bench seat at the back The windsreen was just black perspex and was a bit weak as rembering breaking one getting from one boat into the blagg at keyhaven in the solent.The boat genarates a lot of g force in tight turns at speed so be warned.

Old Powerboats:
Phantom 23 (one of three ever made with lightweight hull )
Phantom 18, Crusader 21, Avenger 21, Avenger 16, Ring 16, Marshan 16
NickGT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Smile Blagg 480

Bougt our Blagg 480 after display in Oslo 1978?

Fantastic boat. Ihave had Mercury 115, 135 on it and now Evinrude 120 HP.
Very safe.
It turns very flat with much G force sideways.
Warning:The one thing you should not do is while making high speed turn at full power - is to take power off ! The result is heavy braking force under keel and the boat can dip one side of front deck under water. Result is forward somersault. With luck no personal damage, but new windows and saving action for the Merc 135.

I just wonder when I bought it? Just renewed interior - looks like new.

Tor Fusdahl torfusdahl@hotmail.no

Tor Fusdahl is offline   Reply With Quote