Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 23-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Country: thornton
Occupation: kitchen supplier and installer
Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 311
CE certification

Does anyone know why a boat needs ce cert?
I'm looking at a Larson 254 cabrio in Dublin and its not CE certified,why would this be?
Any help greatly appreciated
__________________

the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Keanaz's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Exmouth
Occupation: Sitting on backside in the SUN
Interests: Vacations
Boat name: Rib Tastic
Boat make: Cobra Rib Burgess T850, Bristol T850 c 2 Wieser Boote
Engines: Marina 225, Yam70 (x2) & Stinger 75
Cruising area: South West

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Exmouth
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
Does anyone know why a boat needs ce cert?
I'm looking at a Larson 254 cabrio in Dublin and its not CE certified,why would this be?
Any help greatly appreciated

I had a Larson from Littlehampton Marina - that was CE cert etc
unless it's an Import etc

Keanaz
__________________

Keanaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Traveling
 
Country: UK
Location: Alderholt
Occupation: Aerospace
Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Alderholt
Posts: 4,223
Been covered on here before, maybe the mid to late noughty's. Have a good search. TD made some good input if I recall
__________________
It is impossible to lick your elbow.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Country: UK
Location: Weston-super-Mare
Occupation: Engineer
Boat make: Sunseeker Thunderhawk 43
Engines: Mercruiser 502s
Cruising area: Lyme Bay

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Weston-super-Mare
Posts: 80
CE marking of boats is covered by the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) 94/25/EC and amended by 2003/44/EC

As previously said I know TD went through these hoops a few years ago.

Some useful information on this website:

EU Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) - HPi Verification Services Ltd.

CE marking (compliance with EU directives) is the responsibility of the Designer / Builder

Looks like no mandatory requirement prior to 1998

Boats designed & built outside of the EU will generally not be CE marked unless specifically certified for the EU market

CE marking does not cover Operation hence no legal reason why you cant buy a non CE marked boat. Just be aware that your purchase may not comply with some of the current EU safety requirements as follows:

1.Ignition-protected equipment for inboard and stern drive engines.
2.Start-in-gear protection devices for outboard engines.
3.Steering wheels, steering mechanisms and cable assemblies.
4.Fuel tanks intended for fixed installations and fuel hoses.
5.Prefabricated hatches and portlights.

Hope this is helpful.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Hydrostream's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Location: Dublin
Occupation: Boatbuilder
Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,803
Grey Import

A lot of stuff was imported from US without CE certifaction.
Some were retro certed. A lot werent.
Nothing to stop you buying and using it, just dont plan on bringing it to the continent, they can and will seize it if used in their waters. France, Itally, etc
It can be seized in any part of the EU for non conformaty, but some countries have no way of policing this. Ireland and UK seem pretty lax in this area.

Main issue you will have is insuring it, and if you do manage to insure it, if you ever have a claim, its just another way out for the insurance co. to invalidate your policy. Ive seen this quite a few times.

You can have them retro tested and certed, would say 2-3k for a boat that size.

Ive seen the boat in question for sale, if you are serious and need someone to take a look at it, let me know. Good value in the euro for you guys now.
__________________
www.powermarine.ie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Country: thornton
Occupation: kitchen supplier and installer
Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post
A lot of stuff was imported from US without CE certifaction.
Some were retro certed. A lot werent.
Nothing to stop you buying and using it, just dont plan on bringing it to the continent, they can and will seize it if used in their waters. France, Itally, etc
It can be seized in any part of the EU for non conformaty, but some countries have no way of policing this. Ireland and UK seem pretty lax in this area.

Main issue you will have is insuring it, and if you do manage to insure it, if you ever have a claim, its just another way out for the insurance co. to invalidate your policy. Ive seen this quite a few times.

You can have them retro tested and certed, would say 2-3k for a boat that size.

Ive seen the boat in question for sale, if you are serious and need someone to take a look at it, let me know. Good value in the euro for you guys now.
I've put s deposit on it subject to it being what I think it is,looks in excellent condition,what do you know about the boat and seller?
Cheers
the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Country: thornton
Occupation: kitchen supplier and installer
Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
I've put s deposit on it subject to it being what I think it is,looks in excellent condition,what do you know about the boat and seller?
Cheers
Did phantoms have CE certification?
the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Hydrostream's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Location: Dublin
Occupation: Boatbuilder
Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
I've put s deposit on it subject to it being what I think it is,looks in excellent condition,what do you know about the boat and seller?
Cheers
Nothing, Ive just seen it for sale.. Was a good price..
__________________
www.powermarine.ie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Hydrostream's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Location: Dublin
Occupation: Boatbuilder
Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
Did phantoms have CE certification?
Cobra ones do. No idea on others..
__________________
www.powermarine.ie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Country: thornton
Occupation: kitchen supplier and installer
Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 311
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post
Nothing, Ive just seen it for sale.. Was a good price..
Got it for a lot less than that!
__________________

the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×