Boatmad.com

Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

CE Marking

After trawling around the internet, I've found a mercruiser "Certified Pre-Owned" 49g Mag HO. Unfortunately it's not CE marked. I understand that it's a must to have CE mark but don't know what the cost implications of this are. Does the fact that it's used make any difference to the requirement? What would the costs of CE marking the engine? The boat is a European boat so that part is covered.

The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Some US engines, mostly high perf. Don't meet emissions or noise standards so are not certified, others just are not European models. I can't say for sure but I'd say it's going to be difficult if not costly to certify an engine.

Why do you need it certified?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

I thought to use it in Europe it had to be CE marked. Also for re-sale of the boat. Is that not the case?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

Interests: Boats, Jetski's, Wake Boarding
Boat name: Lord of the Rings
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Mariner 2.5 200 V6
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I thought to use it in Europe it had to be CE marked. Also for re-sale of the boat. Is that not the case?
I'd bounce the question of your insurance company - if there cool with it game on..

Some challenges are now cropping up with non CE Jetski's and insurance companies refusing to insure (makes them worthless)

Jim
Superjetjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #5

Boat name: vodka express/smoking aces
Boat make: liberator 221/extreme 24
Engines: 7.4 v8 8.2 v8
Cruising area: Portsmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjetjim View Post
I'd bounce the question of your insurance company - if there cool with it game on..

Some challenges are now cropping up with non CE Jetski's and insurance companies refusing to insure (makes them worthless)

Jim
How does that stand with cars etc? Surely must all be the same thing?? Is there anyway they can tell if they are imported??
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Certificate of Conformity-COC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
How does that stand with cars etc? Surely must all be the same thing?? Is there anyway they can tell if they are imported??
Car's produced for the EU should be supplied with COC papers.I've not come across any issues with Insurance but know of an imported Mercedes that was built for South Africa but imported to the UK it was not fitted with a Catalitic Converter and would have failed an MOT-not nice to find this out when you have owned it for three years.A lot of vehicles are built to a lower standard if produced for non EU countries,ie; less rust proofing/sound deadening/low compression engines etc.We will only buy EU supplied vehicles and I think thats the same for most franchises.I hope this helps.Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
living the dream

Interests: BOAT RACING
Boat name: i call her baby
Boat make: Aero-tek
Engines: a lot of horses
Cruising area: WW

I can only tell you from germany, if they dont have a CE certificat, you can't import or register the boat /car....
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Cars are different otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy stuff from Japan - Last time I checked they're not in Europe!

Don't forget anything race related isn't required to be CE approved either.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

Boat make: Nothing fast...

As long as you can get the engine imported to the UK (I don't know if there are any requirements for CE marking for this in the UK) there should be no issues with using the engine. Selling a boat with a non-CE marked engine is no problem as long as it is not a new boat - just remember to specifiy this in the contract. We've bought (and sold) non-CE marked boats and this was no problem. HOWEVER a boat builder / dealer can get in serious trouble - one norwegian builder had to refund a client 100% of the selling price years later due to the fact that the boat was not CE marked. Would check with a lawyer to be sure, though...

"If it has tits, tyres or a transom, it will have issues"
PhatFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Cars are different otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy stuff from Japan - Last time I checked they're not in Europe!

Don't forget anything race related isn't required to be CE approved either.
A bit off the thread but to clarify-COC papers are isued to all cars and recently vans manufactured to be 'SOLD' in the EU,The imports that are often referred to as 'Grey imports' are the problem vehicles,not just the incorrect spec but having no history for say a used vehicle from Japan i.e. mileage varification and clear title;a while back our group bought a Honda NSX only to discover it had been stolen in Japan-you can't HPI them.since then we no longer buy or px Grey Imports.Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #11

Hi. First post here, plenty of good information on this forum!

Practical implementation of the EU rules might wary from nation to nation but regulation is very strict. For boats(the hull) the critical date is 16th June 1998.
After that date boats produced in EU or imported to EU for leisure used should be marked. Marking is unit specified. For import done today, also older boats(untill 1950) should be marked or aftermarked by outhorisied body. For existing boats put on the EU market before 1998, even if imported at that time, no marking required. Racing boats(used only for racing) is outside this legislation, no CE marking needed old or new.

What goes for engines, story is as far as I know different. A engine which was in existence within the EU before 1st January 2006 may not need to comply with the emissions regulation concerned with particle emissions. Thus also requirement for CE plate is not needed. But again, importing now a engine for leisure use without the CE mark is not ok(even if the engine is older than 2006). Racing engines might be outside this also, that one don't know for sure.

Studied this a few times and that what believe to be right, but no guarantee.... cheers.

C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote