Boatmad.com

Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #21

Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

i dissagre with using the one engine,i think its more likely to go over triming it out to achieve 100 mph,at least with 2 engines itl hold a line better with 2 skegs and also have the power to not have to trim it too much,with it being wide it doesnt need much trim to make it flighty so the more i can keep the front down the better but then i need more power to hit 100mph

its having 2 engines no matter wot and anyone on here wishing to try it on the river wyre is welcome to come and have a go,as for driver "skill"u dont need much to go in a straight line!i used to race motorcycles (and win)and i can tell you that requires skill and bottle by the bucket load,you may think i cant drive because i flipped the talon but i assure you that was a one off mistake on the day which wasnt just my fault,ive used the talon on the river wyre many times last year and had 103 out of it and been nowhere near flipping,i wasnt able to turn round because of the life jacket used to see by eye where the motor was trimmed at and used a trim gauge on the dash which was marked out wrong hence the accident.

also dont they twin rig talons in the states??????

the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #22

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

I've got half a ton of lead in the garage you can borrow that'll keep the nose down.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #23

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Sit me on the front,THAT will defo keep your nose down.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #24

Interests: Boating
Boat make: Hydrostream HST
Engines: Merc 2.5 200
Cruising area: The Schelde

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
i dissagre with using the one engine,i think its more likely to go over triming it out to achieve 100 mph,at least with 2 engines itl hold a line better with 2 skegs and also have the power to not have to trim it too much,with it being wide it doesnt need much trim to make it flighty so the more i can keep the front down the better but then i need more power to hit 100mph

its having 2 engines no matter wot and anyone on here wishing to try it on the river wyre is welcome to come and have a go,as for driver "skill"u dont need much to go in a straight line!i used to race motorcycles (and win)and i can tell you that requires skill and bottle by the bucket load,you may think i cant drive because i flipped the talon but i assure you that was a one off mistake on the day which wasnt just my fault,ive used the talon on the river wyre many times last year and had 103 out of it and been nowhere near flipping,i wasnt able to turn round because of the life jacket used to see by eye where the motor was trimmed at and used a trim gauge on the dash which was marked out wrong hence the accident.

also dont they twin rig talons in the states??????
yes, they twin talons in the states but not a talon 18

Dont forget the added weight in the back. If you do it you can better get rid of that extended dashboard you made. Otherwise the bow will be very light maybe too light... and you know what happens than.

In the pictures you can see that the boat was just overtrimmed. I think you can better invest in a good mechanical trim indicator.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:

1: as for driver "skill"u dont need much to go in a straight line!

2: i used to race motorcycles (and win)and i can tell you that requires skill and bottle by the bucket load,

3: you may think i cant drive because i flipped the talon but i assure you that was a one off mistake on the day which wasnt just my fault,

4: ive used the talon on the river wyre many times last year and had 103 out of it and been nowhere near flipping,

5: i wasnt able to turn round because of the life jacket used to see by eye where the motor was trimmed at and used a trim gauge on the dash which was marked out wrong hence the accident.

6: also dont they twin rig talons in the states??????
1: You didn't go in straight line you went vertical. Perhaps more skill is required than you think.

2: That certainly qualifies you to understand the physics of a boat with positive lift.

3: Who's fault was it then?

4: How do you know if you rely on a gauge to tell you when it's going to go over?

5: The trim gauge is indeed king when it comes to driving a boat without experience. I hope you gave it good telling off when you got back up the right way.

6: They rig top fuel drag boats with 7000+ hp. I don't think Coniston should let you try that either.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
I've got half a ton of lead in the garage you can borrow that'll keep the nose down.
keep hold of it..prices are rising again
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big V View Post
I'd guess that Mr Rat was only jokin about the twins anywho!
hahahahahaha!!!

that would be one funny joke given the photo of what happened last year with one engine, that Mr Rat is asking if he can come back with 2 engines this year!!

Brilliant!!!

I'm sat at my desk cracking up!! [/QUOTE]

i will be back,im serious,the boats a handfull at 100mph with one motor as of the level of trim required to get the speed,trimmed down itl do 90mph allday safely
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
yes, they twin talons in the states but not a talon 18

Dont forget the added weight in the back. If you do it you can better get rid of that extended dashboard you made. Otherwise the bow will be very light maybe too light... and you know what happens than.

In the pictures you can see that the boat was just overtrimmed. I think you can better invest in a good mechanical trim indicator.
cheers,at last somebody with decent advice!and yes the dash has been removed,moving as much weight forward as possible
Old 10-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #29

Quote:
il stick you up front,itl never go over then!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #30

noticed this place is full of time served experts..which is great but that does'nt mean you can close the doors on other people who want to take there boats out and run close to the edge,its his boat..his money and his risks and by going out on his own he is not putting anyone at risk so lets get behind the lad and say goodluck and if it goes tits up we'll be there to help. Ffs with this kind of putting down attitude its a wonder any records get broke or special achievments happen. Goodluck fella and just take care
ime now expecting a backlash of abuse by other forum members but hey ho ime thick skinned
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
1: You didn't go in straight line you went vertical. Perhaps more skill is required than you think.

2: That certainly qualifies you to understand the physics of a boat with positive lift.

3: Who's fault was it then?

4: How do you know if you rely on a gauge to tell you when it's going to go over?

5: The trim gauge is indeed king when it comes to driving a boat without experience. I hope you gave it good telling off when you got back up the right way.

6: They rig top fuel drag boats with 7000+ hp. I don't think Coniston should let you try that either.

i normally turn round and trim it level off my eye but cudnt with the bulky life jacket i had on,the gauge was set in a hurry(mistake)as the nose of the boat was up so wot we thought was level was way to high,i thought i had more to go as the gauge was nowhere near the line set on the gauge,if i cudve turned round to see the engine i wud never have flipped,it was a simple mistake,im sure all you"racers"have never crashed or sunk boats in barrow docks have you???????????????????????????????????so why can you all go to coniston and i cant,its called experience and youve to start somewhere,nobodys perfect not even professionals and bearing in mind most people going to coniston arent pros anyway!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj666 View Post
noticed this place is full of time served experts..which is great but that does'nt mean you can close the doors on other people who want to take there boats out and run close to the edge,its his boat..his money and his risks and by going out on his own he is not putting anyone at risk so lets get behind the lad and say goodluck and if it goes tits up we'll be there to help. Ffs with this kind of putting down attitude its a wonder any records get broke or special achievments happen. Goodluck fella and just take care
ime now expecting a backlash of abuse by other forum members but hey ho ime thick skinned
cheers mate,most of the people on here who are writing shite probably are arm chair boaters anyway!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #33

Unfortunately nowadays you can't just go out and have an accident, someone has to be blamed, and in the case of an organised event such as Coniston, that would be the organisers. As your track record is less than perfect, then imho it would be foolish of them to let you have another go, as if you came a cropper again, questions would almost certainly have to answered.

Years ago i think you had to have been placed either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a national or international event to be eligible to attempt a record, perhaps the reintroduction of that rule might go someway to sorting the problem.
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #34

Quote:
cheers mate,most of the people on here who are writing shite probably are arm chair boaters anyway!
You tell em Mark. How's your steering ? Enjoy you stay on Piel
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwood6 View Post
I can guarantee that you will be denied entry to record week this year with that boat.

After last year there was a big discussion with regards to amateur drivers turning up to Coniston and running something that is unsafe if mishandled.
It was confirmed that only people with pedigree or to have competed regulary in races during that year will be allowed to run at records week.

It has absolutely nothing to do with yourself personally but your accident last year highlighted the neccessity to have a ruling made.
why didnt donald campbell highlight the neccesity for a new ruling?????????didnt he die!!im alive and well,i flipped but so did jan falowski(so called expert??)is he allowed back to coniston when he did exactly what i did?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
Unfortunately nowadays you can't just go out and have an accident, someone has to be blamed, and in the case of an organised event such as Coniston, that would be the organisers. As your track record is less than perfect, then imho it would be foolish of them to let you have another go, as if you came a cropper again, questions would almost certainly have to answered.

Years ago i think you had to have been placed either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a national or international event to be eligible to attempt a record, perhaps the reintroduction of that rule might go someway to sorting the problem.
what are the current rules for coniston 09?or do i have my own?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #37

Quote:
You tell em Mark. How's your steering ? Enjoy you stay on Piel
steerings fixed ta,yeah top wknd on piel,be going again for bank holiday wknd
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #38

Quote:
what are the current rules for coniston 09?or do i have my own?
Possibly, you'd have to ask them, but as it's their ball, you probably already know the answer.

I think in the case of Campbell, it was "his event" so he was able to call the shots, plus, where "there's blame there's a claim" hadn't been thought of then!
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #39
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
i normally turn round and trim it level off my eye but cudnt with the bulky life jacket i had on,the gauge was set in a hurry(mistake)as the nose of the boat was up so wot we thought was level was way to high,i thought i had more to go as the gauge was nowhere near the line set on the gauge,if i cudve turned round to see the engine i wud never have flipped,it was a simple mistake,im sure all you"racers"have never crashed or sunk boats in barrow docks have you???????????????????????????????????so why can you all go to coniston and i cant,its called experience and youve to start somewhere,nobodys perfect not even professionals and bearing in mind most people going to coniston arent pros anyway!
The point I was making is that an experienced driver does not need a gauge or to look over his shoulder at the engine to tell him whether the boat is trimmed right or not. They are used purely to select presets quickly before entering a new leg etc.

When you race your bike do you have a lean indicator to know where you are?

I'm interested in how you actually set the gauge as well. Do you wait until the boat is going over then say that's the position?

And before you start with "all you racers" I think you will find that the largest majority of racers here have not actually "crashed" or "sunk" a boat at all. It's called respect and helps with actually gaining a finish which is what racing is about.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post

Experience counts for very little when things go wrong.. Take clubman racing for an example, this weekend at Barrow docks a guy rolled his Phantom 21 due to to much trim on a turn. At Carr Mill a couple of weeks ago a very experienced racer barrel rolled his cat. It can happen to anyone when you get behind the wheel of anything fast.

And besides with the state of the sport how many records would there be to be broken if the old rules were followed.