Boatmad.com

Old 17-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Could this really happen.

Just been sent this from a friend. Thought it might lighten the day.

Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour east of Bakersfield, CA, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22 foot boat, going. It was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power they applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they put into a nearby marina, thinking someone there may be able to tell them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working condition The engine ran fine, the out-drive went up and down, and the propeller was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.
NOW REMEMBER...THIS IS TRUE.
Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer!

If this IS true wouldn't they have seen the straps?
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

I think it's a bit of an old story ...

it seems to get a mention most boat sites, listed here under "LIFE AT THE RAMP"

http://www.bayweekly.com/year01/issue9_18/lead9_18.html

Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #3

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

It may be possible ML...

let me throw myself in the confession box, having been around boats with my parents from toddling age I was always fairly confident, however around the age of 15 one night after school me and my mates had decided to go boating for around one and a half hours in our 15-16' and between 30-40hp machines this we had done many times before without a hitch, however in my teenage haste I rushed my boat in first from it's stored position in the boatyard by untying the tarpaulin as usual, connected the 5 gallon tank, (that had as usual been stretching my arms for ages) in with flares and life jackets etc and pushed my boat down the slipway and into the water went back to help one of my mates move his boat down the slipway...as mine was in the way I grabbed the ropes and pulled it back up to the far end of the launching slip bay and went back again to help my mates do the necessary stuff with theirs...so now all boats were in the water I walked back to mine at the end of the slipway and then it stuck me the engine well was very close to the water...bugger I thought I have forgotten to stick the drain plug in yelling at my mates to hurriedly pull their small boats around mine so I could get back to the slipway before it sank... I told them to go on I would catch up around Brownsea Island...me and my friend pulled the boat towards the slipway to ground the boat before it sank however as we got close to the slipway up popped the front of the trailer winch and then the horrible truth struck me the trailer had dropped just enough to be under the water and I had failed to notice the front strap tied to the front tow eye of the boat or indeed the two rear straps going too the rear ski tow eyes although these had been underwater...so you see ML it is possible even if it was done by a teenager in haste...PS I DIDN'T TELL MY MATES WAITING FOR ME IT WAS THE TRAILER AND NEITHER DID MY FRIEND THANKFULLY...SAVED FACE FOR ANOTHER DAY I HOPE
Old 17-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #4

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

A window fitter who owns a brand new extreme 24 decides to fit a new bilge pump to said boat. He reverses boat down slipway and trys to reverse boat off trailer, after trying for a good while he drives back up slipway and looks around boat to see what the problem is, It turns out he'd used a 6" frame fixing screw to fit the bilge pump and screwed the boat to the bunk on the trailer.
Old 17-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

OMG. I guess these things DO happen when you are in haste trying to launch your boat. Very up front of you CFUN to admit to it to the whole of Boatmad.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #6

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
OMG. Very up front of you CFUN to admit to it to the whole of Boatmad.
ML.
Thank you ML it was a fair few years back now being I believe in the JF, Tony, Bluefin age bracket...But it still makes me cringe a bit when I think of it...AHH well as they say you have to make mistakes to lean and I have defo made some of them in my time
Old 18-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #7

Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

good story :-) reminds me of a small chesna airplain at work, wanted to take off with his pushbar still attached ! TOWER FROM Oscar - Zulu - YANKEE *** We noticed a strange sound whilst taking off ! DUH!

ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote