Boatmad.com

Old 15-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #21

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Anyone who where this is on the net, is the there photos on the net?
Would mind a look at that, brilliant.
gaZ
Gazza it was not a car I found on the net I remember it from the drag strip, and I also read about it in one of those performance car mags around 96/97 I think

Old 15-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #22

I reckon you're pretty much on the money there.

If you inject it such that it'll atomise, throw in the right amount of air, and a spark to get things started, it should burn.

Traditional injectors did not have high enough injection pressures to atomise the fuels, plus I also suspect the spark voltage has increased too to encourage reluctant fuels to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
Mercury started a long time ago with optimax outboards on diesel for the US army,but never heard anything again .
OMC/Bombardier Genmar also did this ,and can be found on the net under : MFE outboards

I believe they run to 200 hp ,you can switch these outboards from gasoline to #2 diesel ,or kerosine ,and is still spark ignited
So a controlled ignition can be made ,no self igniting.

I still believe their only made those for the army /marine because everything in the army is running on # 2 diesel or kerosine ,they even convert quads for the army to diesel /kerosine power

The trick is according to MFE that if you inject under high pressure ,and probably heating the fuel it can be spark ignited ,take a flower spray can and fill it with diesel spray it and hold a lighter ,and it will throw a big flame ,if you just drop diesel on the floor you will have a hard time to ignite it .

It must have different switchable ECM settings that belongs to each fuel ,I never saw one in real ,but cant wait to hear one running ,just to hear what sound it makes on those fuels.

If that engine where this topic is about makes 300 hp ,and rpm,s in the max 4000 ,s it is a torque monster that will produce probably 450 ft /lbs or so max,so I think that poor lower will explode under a load .

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #23

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

Maybe you all are getting to excited about seeing
Quote:
Similar Performance to 300HP four stroke
what hp would a diesel engine have to equal a petrol engine in the torque specification

clever advertising spin maybe?
Old 15-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #24

http://www.mercurygovsales.com/technology/optimaxjp.php

petrol, diesel or avgas!!
rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #25

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

one other thing, in a car you need to be doing a lot higher mileage to offset the price of a diesel engine against a petrol engine, unless you are in a working enviroment in a boat will it really pay off in the long run
Old 16-11-2007, 01:06 AM   #26

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph@ntastic View Post
I am curious how the standard 3.0L lowerunit and midsection from Merc will do with the kind of torque a diesel generates
the 3.0 ltr gearbox's are extreemly robust!
theres a chap with a 300 promax on a 2.5 efi style shortshaft and a 2.5 gearbox and the 300 had killed 3 or 4 gearboxes last time i spoke to him lol!
he haddnt had the engine long either!

I have got a pic but my sata drives not working at the mo (needs driver re installing) when i sort it out i will upload a pic of it.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #27

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Quote:
Mercury started a long time ago with optimax outboards on diesel for the US army,but never heard anything again .
OMC/Bombardier Genmar also did this ,and can be found on the net under : MFE outboards

I believe they run to 200 hp ,you can switch these outboards from gasoline to #2 diesel ,or kerosine ,and is still spark ignited
So a controlled ignition can be made ,no self igniting.

I still believe their only made those for the army /marine because everything in the army is running on # 2 diesel or kerosine ,they even convert quads for the army to diesel /kerosine power

The trick is according to MFE that if you inject under high pressure ,and probably heating the fuel it can be spark ignited ,take a flower spray can and fill it with diesel spray it and hold a lighter ,and it will throw a big flame ,if you just drop diesel on the floor you will have a hard time to ignite it .

It must have different switchable ECM settings that belongs to each fuel ,I never saw one in real ,but cant wait to hear one running ,just to hear what sound it makes on those fuels.

If that engine where this topic is about makes 300 hp ,and rpm,s in the max 4000 ,s it is a torque monster that will produce probably 450 ft /lbs or so max,so I think that poor lower will explode under a load .

How very interesting!
It just show you learn something new everyday!
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #28

Interests: fast boats/porches
Boat name: bernico cat
Boat make: bernico 26 cat 2x 2,5,s
Engines: merc,s 2,5 EFI,s
Cruising area: ijselmeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesBalls View Post
the 3.0 ltr gearbox's are extreemly robust!
theres a chap with a 300 promax on a 2.5 efi style shortshaft and a 2.5 gearbox and the 300 had killed 3 or 4 gearboxes last time i spoke to him lol!
he haddnt had the engine long either!

I have got a pic but my sata drives not working at the mo (needs driver re installing) when i sort it out i will upload a pic of it.

You are right they are robust,but a 300 pro max runs 6700 rpm or so ?
so it put out around 250 ft /lbs at 3500 -4000rpm or so ,the diesel is only tuning 4000 rpm max and will give max torque at around 2300-2700 rpm
when the crankshaft is turning at slower speeds the loads are heavy at the shafts and gears in the lower unit ,I,ll bet a lower unit from a 2,5 EFI sportmaster can handle 400 + horsepower as the rpm goes up to 10000 or so
the torque will not increase ,only rpm and horsepower do.

sterling
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #29

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
You are right they are robust,but a 300 pro max runs 6700 rpm or so ?
so it put out around 250 ft /lbs at 3500 -4000rpm or so ,the diesel is only tuning 4000 rpm max and will give max torque at around 2300-2700 rpm
when the crankshaft is turning at slower speeds the loads are heavy at the shafts and gears in the lower unit ,I,ll bet a lower unit from a 2,5 EFI sportmaster can handle 400 + horsepower as the rpm goes up to 10000 or so
the torque will not increase ,only rpm and horsepower do.

sterling
Thats what i ment about the torque of the 2.5.... as the 300 promax has lots more torque it kills the 2.5 gearbox,
as i understand the torque of the engine is direct to the stress on the gearbox,

Also our 300 promax has 370 ft pounds of torque , not sure about the standard though
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #30

Cruising area: tyne

with prop 30"pitch and that ratio is still only about 55 at 4000