Boatmad.com

Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

Thumbs down Does anyone know of bursledon outboards

If so let him know he's not doing himself any good by not comunicating with with customers. especially with an item he acussed me of testing . He knows dam well i havent.

Sadly its seems theres another untrustworthy outboard sales and service dealer in the south.

Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Lets hear the full story then,if he is a wrongun i think every one should know.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

I purchased simply oil alarm module from them after i had inquired one from marinaurtic in the same day. i had a relapse in comunication that afternoon with marinautic thinking they didnt have one for me on my arrival back home that night i got 2 calls, 1 from marinautic saying they had one for me, so the next morning i phoned bursledon and a employee said ok to refund and so i drove down to them while the proprietor was out, on arrival he still wasn't about. I waited 40 minutes with no sign of him so the employee took the box and said ill receive a refund shortly when he arrives back, i gave them my contact details. When i got home that night i received a call on my answer phone from the proprietor going straight into accusing me of using the module and that i was returning it because he felt i had no need for it as it wasnt the problem with my engine and then when on to say he will refund me but ill take 20% of the refund.
i have reason to test it on the engine, the faulty module is still on the engine and i was on holiday during that week and i was nowhere near the boat to of test it. I also had no reason to test it as i know mine is at fault. I also have proof i was nowhere near the boat including the storage manager knowing i wasnt anywhere near it in the 24hr of this issue, infact i havent been near the boat for 2 weeks now.

Meantime thankfully marinautic posted a module with other parts i needed.

2 weeks have gone by now and i havent no refund of £293.13 at all from them, i have phoned to speak to him and sent a letter with the proof of not using the item and had nothing from him, he wont even speak to me, I dont understand as the guy came across being a good guy! and i felt he would be handy for future business as he is local to my cruising area.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #4

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Why did you not want to keep the first one you bought from bursledon outboards (what was wrong with it?) and get the rest of your parts from marinautic?

If the Part from bursledon outboards is of "Marketable Quality" then Legally they do not have to give you a refund because it is "Fit for Purpose" to be honest I cant see a moral reason for giving a refund either. IMHO
Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam

Having put my glasses on it seems they are prepared to offer a refund but with the deduction of a "Re-stocking charge" of 20% - Not unreasonable..
Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #6

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

How was it paid for?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
Why did you not want to keep the first one you bought from bursledon outboards (what was wrong with it?) and get the rest of your parts from marinautic?

If the Part from bursledon outboards is of "Marketable Quality" then Legally they do not have to give you a refund because it is "Fit for Purpose" to be honest I cant see a moral reason for giving a refund either. IMHO
We were just egar to get the boat out again that week during our break so i was on the hunt a little to fast.
Nothing wrong it, it didn't even get as far as out of the box into my hands, marinautic had a set of HT leads which i ask for too so i then thought its best to purchase as a job lot from one place, so i did the right thing to phone bursledon first with an apology for messing them and then to ask to take it back, the guy on the other end of the phone from bursledon didn't have a problem with it so thats why i then drove back to them. The thing is i haven't been able to speak to the proprietor since the day i purchased, not by phone email nor a reply to a letter we sent, what worse is that he hasn't even refunded us back even with a 20% deduction. i would of thought a professional businessman wouldn't have a problem with communicating with customers.

The reply to Wild thing,

We paid using a debt card as he had a condition to charged 2.5% if we used a credit card. Hindsight we normally us a cedit card but i didn't think I'd get myself in this pickle with them.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

pity that you did not use the credit card, things would have been very simple then.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #9

Interests: FISHING,MOTOR SPORT POWERBOATS & THE ODD TIPPLE
Boat name: NORFOLK & CHANCE
Boat make: SUNSEEKER MANHATTEN QUITE BIG
Engines: BIG ONES
Cruising area: MED/ SOUTH COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbysteve View Post
I purchased simply oil alarm module from them after i had inquired one from marinaurtic in the same day. i had a relapse in comunication that afternoon with marinautic thinking they didnt have one for me on my arrival back home that night i got 2 calls, 1 from marinautic saying they had one for me, so the next morning i phoned bursledon and a employee said ok to refund and so i drove down to them while the proprietor was out, on arrival he still wasn't about. I waited 40 minutes with no sign of him so the employee took the box and said ill receive a refund shortly when he arrives back, i gave them my contact details. When i got home that night i received a call on my answer phone from the proprietor going straight into accusing me of using the module and that i was returning it because he felt i had no need for it as it wasnt the problem with my engine and then when on to say he will refund me but ill take 20% of the refund.
i have reason to test it on the engine, the faulty module is still on the engine and i was on holiday during that week and i was nowhere near the boat to of test it. I also had no reason to test it as i know mine is at fault. I also have proof i was nowhere near the boat including the storage manager knowing i wasnt anywhere near it in the 24hr of this issue, infact i havent been near the boat for 2 weeks now.

Meantime thankfully marinautic posted a module with other parts i needed.

2 weeks have gone by now and i havent no refund of £293.13 at all from them, i have phoned to speak to him and sent a letter with the proof of not using the item and had nothing from him, he wont even speak to me, I dont understand as the guy came across being a good guy! and i felt he would be handy for future business as he is local to my cruising area.
Bursledon Outboards are good guys and you have jerked him about, at this time of year they are working flat out and can well do without time wasters and sh-- stirrers like you, maybe you should apologise for your actions, he is not legally bound to give you a refund and a 20% surcharge sounds a good deal to me.
OLD PHART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PHART View Post
Bursledon Outboards are good guys and you have jerked him about, at this time of year they are working flat out and can well do without time wasters and sh-- stirrers like you, maybe you should apologise for your actions, he is not legally bound to give you a refund and a 20% surcharge sounds a good deal to me.
Why do you think that? you don't know me, I don't jerk people about nor waste peoples time. I haven't had the opportunity to speak to him personally as said in previous mails above. And mainly i haven't jerked him around or wasted his time at all. I am not here to shit stir either, just asking if any knows him to then ask that i can PM that person to ask him to contact me Please.
Like i said in my title Does any know of them! i would of thought you would of just said to me yes i do! so that i can talk privately to you.
So as its out in the open, and you of them, Please can you ask him to ring me. Thats all i ask.

Steve.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #11

Interests: DIESELS
Boat make: TECKNO 40 (ONE DAY)
Engines: SEATEK 960s

Parts

If we order any Yanmar parts then they are not wanted Barrus charge 50% to return. 20% is normal in this trade.
TECKNO 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
I am not here to shit stir either, just asking if any knows him
Must have been a different Shelbysteve then!
Quote:
Sadly its seems theres another untrustworthy outboard sales and service dealer in the south.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKNO 40 View Post
If we order any Yanmar parts then they are not wanted Barrus charge 50% to return. 20% is normal in this trade.
Thats OK! thou this wasnt an order from Barrus, The module was already on the shelf.

I am aware of what you guys are saying if only if i had the same kind of comunication from this chap i would be fine even if he takes the 20%! as long as he would just speak up and just take the surcharge if that makes him feel happy! but all i have is no communication from him or a refund less the 20%, he also has the product in his hand, so he has 300 pounds of mine and by this time has probably resold the module.

He should not of blamed me for using the product thou! that still angers me.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Must have been a different Shelbysteve then!

trust you I only said it seems
Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #15

Interests: Bikes, boats and engines etc.
Boat make: Cobra RIB
Engines: Mercury Optimax

I have had varied dealings with them, he (steve I think...) is a nice guy and easy to talk to. He did not keep up his end of the bargain when he worked on my boat:

The bad:
Short version:
-Took boat for repair, said it would be done by the weekend.
-I rang every other day for 3 weeks he said he was doing it.
-I took the boat back he tried to charge me storage for the entire time
-I paid the original time he said it would take
-It still wasn't fixed, I was dubious as to whether they had done anything.
-He said it was the CDi, it was a broken wire.

The good:
-Friendly staff
-Helpful over the phone (free advice)

In hindsight and having had dealings of my own with customers now that I have my own business, they only tend to remember bad experiences. With regards to the refund it is common for suppliers to charge you if you order incorrectly or simply don't want the part anymore. If the fault is with them they don't charge.
As to whether he has sold the item since it's possible but remember he had to purchase the item before you paid for it. Not to mention he is a small business in these difficult times and summer is here so he is probably now very busy.
On the flip side he hasn't returned your call, whcich is pretty unprofessional. I suspect this is down to poor communication by his staff. Pop down there in person I suspect it will be sorted easily.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #16

there was a discussion over on rib.net about him,think it came out ok, will do a search and see what I find.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #17

This is what i cannot understand Jizm.

They are all a Friendly bunch of guys. He was chatting to me about his Fletcher 199 that they were all refitting with the same outboard as my 199, telling about it drying from being under the hamble river for a year etc, then all of a sudden he left this message on the answer phone. I've had other people listen to it and they all say how shocking it is for a businessman to leave to a customer.

There's no one on this forum that has taken something back, thats the kind of business it is. I to have a interest sales and if someone feels the need to return it, it doesnt worry me in the least to give them a refund. as long as its in the same condition as it left me.

Jizm as you Quoted: With regards to the refund it is common for suppliers to charge you if you order incorrectly or simply don't want the part anymore. If the fault is with them they don't charge.
As to whether he has sold the item since it's possible but remember he had to purchase the item before you paid for it.

I agree and I'd have some kind of conditions on the wall or tell the customer before the order takes place.

But in this case the produce he sold me wasnt ordered for me, it was sat on the table behind the counter. I just turned up out of the blue not even knowing he'd have one in stock,

I have to say that when he did reach over to hand it to me the box lid was already open and the wiring was hanging out. He blamed me for using it, how do i know one of the team didnt use it before i purchased it and he put the blame on me? Is this why he wont communicate? who knows?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #18

Quote:

I have to say that when he did reach over to hand it to me the box lid was already open and the wiring was hanging out. He blamed me for using it, how do i know one of the team didnt use it before i purchased it and he put the blame on me? Is this why he wont communicate? who knows?
Quite likely the unit was good, but as you say he had probably used it for testing himself. He isn't really doing himself any favours by letting this thread drag on as it may be putting new customers off.
Old 16-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
danny boy

Interests: Anything with petrol in it
Boat make: Ring 21
Engines: Merc 200 v6

I work for Burseldon Outboards and would like to thank all you guys for your support regarding this issue.

We have now refunded this guy less 20% for re-stocking, as he knew that this part was due to be fitted to the owners own boat and that we would be ordering a replacement that day.

Mr Shelby and his wife were not at all interested in any other refund than 100% and were very quick to start with the usual letters threatening legal action. Until they decided to call E P Barrus (our supplier) who told them that we were quite resonable as they would charge us 25%.

What this guy doesn't tell you is that before he had purchased this item he had spent 45 minutes picking our brains about his possible problems.

We are flat out at the moment during this nice weather, keeping everybody on the water and could well do with out day trippers wasting our time.

You wouldn't order a pizza from Dominos to then shoot up the road and get one from Pizza hut!

END OF.
danny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny boy View Post
I work for Burseldon Outboards and would like to thank all you guys for your support regarding this issue.

We have now refunded this guy less 20% for re-stocking, as he knew that this part was due to be fitted to the owners own boat and that we would be ordering a replacement that day.

Mr Shelby and his wife were not at all interested in any other refund than 100% and were very quick to start with the usual letters threatening legal action. Until they decided to call E P Barrus (our supplier) who told them that we were quite resonable as they would charge us 25%.

What this guy doesn't tell you is that before he had purchased this item he had spent 45 minutes picking our brains about his possible problems.

We are flat out at the moment during this nice weather, keeping everybody on the water and could well do with out day trippers wasting our time.

You wouldn't order a pizza from Dominos to then shoot up the road and get one from Pizza hut!

END OF.
Finally communication, although not from the right man sadly!.

Fair play to you Danny for speaking up for Steve and nice to see that people do still have faith in their boss, even if they do lie to their staff and advise them that they have refunded someone when they clearly haven’t. It seems that he is not telling you the truth, which is a shame as this doesn’t show any loyalty to his staff.

I am glad that you didn't say anything about me using the part. It’s a shame that your Boss will not speak to me directly or even apologise for his accusation on voicemail. As you know yourself the only communication on the phone was with you and another colege as Steve would not return my calls and you were the only 2 picking the fone up that day.

Your Quote:

You know very well that this is not right. I already knew the module was at fault two days before. I was in that yard for less then 15 minutes before purchasing the item. It was your boss that was talking to me about his Fletcher and the oil pump spindle in which I didn’t bring up. If he was to busy to chat like he did then he should of explained and got on with things, I would have had no problem with that.

Danny you should recall I was chatting to you for 45 mins waiting for your boss to come back at lunchtime the next day during the refund. The only conversation you and I had was about those battery Boost/recharges on the wall and a little about the revenger picture on the wall, there was not alot else to say as you were in and out doing other things including your lunch.

Your Quote:
Mr Shelby and his wife were not at all interested in any other refund than 100% and were very quick to start with the usual letters threatening legal action.

Mate we wrote a letter 2 weeks after the purchase was made there was no other way to communicate with your Boss as he would not take or return our calls. The first letter had no threating legal action, just an explanation of our whereabouts for the day due to his accusations. The second letter a week later, 3 weeks after the purchase had that title as we were advised by trading standards and comsumer rights to do so. That is business mate not a personal threat to you, if your Boss cannot handle communication then he should hand it to someone that can.

Danny your boss charged £294.13 vat included for that oil alarm module only.

I ended up purchasing an oil alarm module a set of HT Leads and a spare prop assembly + VAT and post & packaging for £284.21 and all items were in nicely protected parcel and the item were in clean untouched packaging. They are still here with me as since the day before my purchase I haven’t been anywhere near my boat.

Your Bosses charge's are a little high don’t you think, if he got the module for just short of £175.00 £180.00 and sold it to me for £294.13 then refunded me less 20% he still had an OK profit. Its no wonder Barrus do charge a 20% surcharge as that box I purchased from you guys was in a greasy mess with crease's on the lid and wires hanging out as if it had been used before me.

As for your pizza ending. I wouldn't order a pizza from either Dominos or Pizza Hut as you don't know what they have been doing to your food before they serve it to you. So if you want more advise with pizza's! go to Zizi's, you get a better deal there friendly staff and great Olives. I would say Pizza Express but the rooms are to noisy and the toilets are never clean.

I have to say I am partly pleased by the outcome as I am very glad my boat wasn’t brought to Burseldon Outboards. God knows what it would of cost for a replacement module to be fitted. In the next week or so I will fit the new one I have, so if you guys feel the need for a second hand one that doesn’t work properly, let me know and I will be happy to post it to you. Even to prove it was at fault as I had to listen to the crap your Boss left on the answer phone.

Please make your Boss aware that there’s no refund as yet. Last checked account today 18th of June at 11.20 am as you have made the effect to replied here on the 16th at 2.58pm.

Regards,

Steve.