Boatmad.com

Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #1

Interests: providing the best equipment to the public
Cruising area: stuck inland currently!

Engine Cooling Pumps

Hi guys,

I'm hawking our new gear again, and making sure that everybody knows that there really is an alternative out there when it comes to engine cooling and the ongoing problems with year on year failures of one of the most critical components of your engine.

Please check out our new site which is representative of our current range. We have literally designed and built two new pumps for some of our new customers gained through the Southampton Boat Show and they will be coming to the site soon. One is for Goldenarrow Marine and the Lombardini engine range, a little small for some of you guys I know! and an absolute monster four stager for PDTeeports for bilge and deck wash. We're hoping that we will be able to come up with some engine applications for that one soon so I will keep you lot abreast of details and pictures to follow soon.

And the site to see
www.kpm-marine.com
All future pump bodies and filters will be coming out in black and gold hard anodizing. Very sexy!!

Get in touch with us at Avon Boating Ltd if you require more information. You can get all our details on the contact section.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

I am not getting on with the site for good clear info, are they for outboards! i guess its this one

Mercruiser and Mercury KPM112 Mil Spec
Replaces pump part numbers:
Jabsco – 43210-0001
Quicksilver – 46-72744-A32
Mercruiser – 46-807151-A9
Mercury – 46-807151-A9/A8/A2

if so how much are they, they look very expensive.

Sorry Its not clear, I am having trouble reading this! http://www.kpm-marine.com/aboutpumps.html

And sorry but isnt this the same impeller thats been swap around for a photo shot! it has the same damage http://www.kpm-marine.com/aboutpumps.html

regards

Steve.

Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #3

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear that you're not finding the information easy to understand, the site is brand new and was written by the design engineer of KPM. Flow rates are a thing of mystery to me too! If you have any specific issues please PM me and I will try to get it sorted out.

I have spoken to Jules this afternoon and I will try and translate some of what he has said.

First off these pumps are only for the inboard engine user and not outboards, maybe one day we will turn our attentions to the bell housings and gaskets plates found in all outboard legs. But just not yet.

The KPM Mercruiser rebuild kit, KPM112, replaces the plastic housing that is currently used on the Mercruiser and Mercury inboards. This model simply bolts onto the nose cone as a direct replacement. RRP is £155 + VAT and though these are more expensive than a standard rebuild kit you are getting way more for your money. KPM have sold hundreds of these kits in America over the last five or so years and have not had a single failure reported. Infact the customer in the Florida Keys who has run the same impeller for over 1500 hrs including as many beach landings uses this very model.

As to the image I have to agree it does not look good and we have to apologise for the lack of information surrounding it. This will be changed soon. The story behind this image though is "yes, it is the same impeller turned around". This is the impeller that the designer carries around with him to demonstrate to the public at shows.
The impeller was first run-dry for 3 hrs in a KPM pump. We can actually do this test for 24 hrs and still have no significant wear appear, but for the purpose of this test it was 3. That impeller was then put in a very common rival pump with the open end (the right hand image) then protected by our slipseal. The other end (the left hand image) was allowed to run in the rival pump as it is normally meant to do. We ran it dry for only a few minutes. The left hand image shows the damage that happened in that short time. The blades started to disintigrate and the end warp and crack. I hope this explains for you, though I do agree it is a poor choice of image. This we will get sorted.

A final word on pricing, we will get these up on our Avon Boating site soon. We do expect them to come in some 30-40% more than expensive than the standard replacement pumps. But remember they are the only pumps in the world to meet and exceed SOLAS specifications, KPM have had no reported failure at all. KPM are so confident with their pump design that the two year warranty that covers the pump also includes the standard neoprene impeller.

If you need anything else just drop me a line.

Jade
Avon Boating Ltd
Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #4

I wanted to buy some screen mounting bobbins as used by pascoe on the v24's, supplied by KPM. Despite calls to Jules' mobile & emails, never got a reply. I'm not the only person who has found it impossible to purchase off KPM, many others have tried too. Please tell me customer service is going to improve significantly along with this new marketing drive.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #5

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

I tried on several occassions to buy parts from them, gave up in the end!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
The Doc

i best not go 'there'
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #7

I appreciate the comments that are coming from you guys, and while I will not pretend that things have always run smoothly with KPM in the past, their engineering and design work can not be faulted on a technical level.

But they are no longer handling the marketing and promoting of the range, that is now up to us at Avon Boating Ltd. We are the UK agents for them and are aiming to create a network of dealers that will handle the range for us. Golden Arrow Marine are the first of such and through development with ourselves and KPM we have had a new pump designed and built for the Lombardini engine range that they offer.

Peter Norman is our business developement manager and comes with a long background in sales and marketing. He is handling all the details to do with KPM, if you want further information contact him direct. It is in our best interest to make sure this works for everybody. Customer service is very important to us, so if you have a problem please bring them up with us. We will try our hardest to sort them out for you.

Regards

Jade
Avon Boating Ltd
Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I wanted to buy some screen mounting bobbins as used by pascoe on the v24's, supplied by KPM. Despite calls to Jules' mobile & emails, never got a reply. I'm not the only person who has found it impossible to purchase off KPM, many others have tried too. Please tell me customer service is going to improve significantly along with this new marketing drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonboatingltd View Post
Peter Norman is our business developement manager and comes with a long background in sales and marketing. He is handling all the details to do with KPM, if you want further information contact him direct. It is in our best interest to make sure this works for everybody. Customer service is very important to us, so if you have a problem please bring them up with us. We will try our hardest to sort them out for you.
No, not the right start....

The right start is to reply with something along the lines of...

Quote:
Yes, we have them in stock, give me a call on 088403233393 and we will arrange delivery of these to you next week.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #9

The UPC you were looking for currently has no record in the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
Yes, we have them in stock, give me a call on 088403233393 and we will arrange delivery of these to you next week.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

and the company number Registered in England No. 123456789 does not appear on the Companies house webcheck....
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #11

I was kinda hoping, but instead I've got a lathe on my christmas list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
No, not the right start....
Old 09-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #12

On the companies house number, this number has been used while KPM are awaiting the date of incorporation to come through. KPM Marine DE Ltd is the new company that will be solely responsible for the production and design of all KPM pumps and filters. The other companies such as Team KPM Racing Ltd,KPM TurnkeyLtd and the parent company MA Lloyds will be focusing on other areas of their business such as the manufacturer of parts for Lotus and Aston Martin. I can assure everybody this is no sham company shell looking to avoid their customers.

As for Avon Boating Ltd, we were incorporated on 9th July 2005. Before that the business existed as GH Rose & Son and hasbeen operating since 1898 here is Stratford-upon-avon from the same premises. We are traditionally a hire fleet operator but have expanded over the last few years. We took over a chandlery called Hollywood Marine and that now operates in Stratford Marina. We have been advertising the availability of the KPM pumps in the UK through many publications, the most important of which has been the BMF Boating Business of whom we are a full member. We have literally spent thousands of pounds this last five months trying to get the KPM name up off the ground and this against a background of one of the worst years we have ever experienced due to the flooding we had over June/July time. We have no intention of seeing this product fail.

Matt as for your screen bobbins you were after, I am unaware that KPM made those. I will enquire with Jules on Monday to see if they still do them, though I do know that he has now sold his pascoe and has not raced for a few years now.

if you are unsure about anything please contact us.

Regards
Jade
Avon Boating LTD
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

I am very interested in your bilge alarm systems - contact details are on my website - thank you!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #14

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonboatingltd View Post
Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear that you're not finding the information easy to understand, the site is brand new and was written by the design engineer of KPM. Flow rates are a thing of mystery to me too! If you have any specific issues please PM me and I will try to get it sorted out.

I have spoken to Jules this afternoon and I will try and translate some of what he has said.

First off these pumps are only for the inboard engine user and not outboards, maybe one day we will turn our attentions to the bell housings and gaskets plates found in all outboard legs. But just not yet.

The KPM Mercruiser rebuild kit, KPM112, replaces the plastic housing that is currently used on the Mercruiser and Mercury inboards. This model simply bolts onto the nose cone as a direct replacement. RRP is £155 + VAT and though these are more expensive than a standard rebuild kit you are getting way more for your money. KPM have sold hundreds of these kits in America over the last five or so years and have not had a single failure reported. Infact the customer in the Florida Keys who has run the same impeller for over 1500 hrs including as many beach landings uses this very model.

As to the image I have to agree it does not look good and we have to apologise for the lack of information surrounding it. This will be changed soon. The story behind this image though is "yes, it is the same impeller turned around". This is the impeller that the designer carries around with him to demonstrate to the public at shows.
The impeller was first run-dry for 3 hrs in a KPM pump. We can actually do this test for 24 hrs and still have no significant wear appear, but for the purpose of this test it was 3. That impeller was then put in a very common rival pump with the open end (the right hand image) then protected by our slipseal. The other end (the left hand image) was allowed to run in the rival pump as it is normally meant to do. We ran it dry for only a few minutes. The left hand image shows the damage that happened in that short time. The blades started to disintigrate and the end warp and crack. I hope this explains for you, though I do agree it is a poor choice of image. This we will get sorted.

A final word on pricing, we will get these up on our Avon Boating site soon. We do expect them to come in some 30-40% more than expensive than the standard replacement pumps. But remember they are the only pumps in the world to meet and exceed SOLAS specifications, KPM have had no reported failure at all. KPM are so confident with their pump design that the two year warranty that covers the pump also includes the standard neoprene impeller.

If you need anything else just drop me a line.

Jade
Avon Boating Ltd
Thanks Jade Yes marketing is the showboat of every thing new. Its got to be right.

Your have to come up with an outboard one soon cos theres alot of them out there. And Jet skis

Ill take a look at them if your at a Boatshow.
Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbysteve View Post
You'll have to come up with an outboard one soon cos theres alot of them out there.

I suggested this to Jules a couple of years ago. Huge market I reckon. He didn't seem too interested at the time.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #16

Thanks guys,

I've spoken to Jules a couple of times on the subject of outboards. We have a small workshop servicing Mariner/Mercury outboards but only really deal with smaller engines as our market and area of operation dictates. But even in those I have come across burnt out and melted water cooling housings. Those of you with larger and more powerful engines probably suffer this on a more regular basis.

For the time being though, its just going to be inboard engines. For the more popular engine lines like Yanmar, Mercruiser and Volvo Penta (particularly MD22) we have stock ready to go. Though if you have other engines that need new pumps contact us and we will come up with whatever is needed. But the more people that demand a better designed outboard pump there are the more I can push Jules into giving it some consideration.

Keep your feedback up, we will try to sort out whatever you have.

Regards
Jade
Avon Boating Ltd