Boatmad.com

Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #21

Cruising area: tyne

much has been said about it already and i don't want to stir up any other arguments about it. but to say that malta has a third world culture, with crap food and thieving locals e [/B][/QUOTE]

well then lets not say anything else about it apart from you,ve got a wonky boat

sinkunit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #22
hello

So to conclude, chaudrons do have nice straight lines (but therein lies the problem), malta is just plain ridiculous and Jon has a small brain !!!

Everybody happy now? Good!!!

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #23

Boat name: In Contempt
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: Twin Mercury Pro Max 300x

a wonky boat which most brits want but can't get unless they come over here for it, as some have already done with a lot of satisfaction in return and no third world treatment
chaudron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #24

**** off its as straight as barrymore
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #25
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Originally posted by chaudron
a wonky boat which most brits want but can't get unless they come over here for it, as some have already done with a lot of satisfaction in return and no third world treatment
go boil ye head
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #26

and by the way someone should show the trademark registration which Steve Baker had of Phantom boats before we can start talking about copyright theft
Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #27

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
but to say that malta has a third world culture, with crap food and thieving locals is just plain ridiculous...and by the way malta not many years back was a british colony so maybe we are still trying to get rid of the negative influence
It was a british colony until the sixties as far as I'm aware, and I haven't been there since the 80's, but I stand by what I said!

Every night there were powercuts, the food was dire, quite often inedible, and that was in both a 5* hotel and the local restaurants. The thieving locals statement is because my hire car was broken into once, the fuel from it was stolen twice, and the waiters tried to fiddle the bill on more than one occasion. On top of that my bags were "gone through" by the hotel staff when I left them with the concierge on the last day!

Basically, it was a shite holiday, in a shite country, with shite food and service! The weather was quite pleasent though!

What really pissed me off was that i went there on the reccomendations of friends, who when i returned said that threy thought it was crap as well.

Out of interest, many years ago my father had a business partner who was Maltese, the partnership was disolved when we caught him stealing from the till!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #28

two ticks its in my pocket somewhere. just because its a shit but obvious copy it does not make it right. look at the chauldron web site then flick to some phantom pics its a bit hard to spot the difference. maybe phantom would be still be a viable business if some pricks did not rip his eyes out
Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #29

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
and by the way someone should show the trademark registration which Steve Baker had of Phantom boats before we can start talking about copyright theft
I'm confused, I assume your the guy I spoke to at Cowes, and you seemed a sensible sort of person. How can you defend someone who has quite obviosly stolen someone else hard work, and listen to them describing it as their own?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #30

yes i am the guy you spoke to at cowes. tony i never said it was right, or wrong, to copy someone else's design. that is the designers' problem and i don't want to have anything to do with it, i am just a customer and i leave it up to the boat builders to take the matter between themselves. after seeing your last post you might have been partly correct about malta since you did not mention that you were talking about the 80's, not the present, at least you forgot to mention the water cuts back then...what i really don't like is people over here bashing the chaudron boats without ever having been in one or looked at one close up, although i think the pics in the chaudron gallery speak for themselves
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #31
The Doc

Mr Chaudron,

I've posted replies along this lines at least 10 times.

You own a chaudron & so I expect you to love it like your own child. It may be a wonderfull boat; I cant comment.

Will you atleast concede the following:

(A) it IS an absolute copy of a Phantom
(B) Chaudron/ Chaudron owners claiming them to be 'better' really dont comprehend what a mighty statement that is for such a small word
(C) Those whom purchased a Chaudron OR a Raffshore (or indeed a copy of anyone eleses design) when the original product was still on offer; contributed to the splashers willingness to do yet further splashing & possibly contributed to the demise of the original designer/ builder

????????
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #32
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Thank god I have a Cat, no one splashes those !!!
FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #33

Are you blind?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #34
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
I really don't want to join this new debate, which is why I closed the last thread....

...but, reading that statement, it sounds like you're questioning whether the 'Phantom' was indeed Steve Baker's design, or own work.

Surely you're not suggesting Steve splashed something???

jf

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #35

1. i can't say the 33 is an absolute copy of a phantom, phantom never made a 33 and the deck of the 33 is different than that of the phantom 28. obviously they have a striking resemblance, but i guess the phantom hull (bottom) is also similar to an early model Apache.
2. which one is better i can't really say, i think the chaudron is a high quality boat and the two phantom 28's which were at cowes were also high quality boats, and the build pics of jon's 28 just confirm that.
3. i got my chaudron in 2004 so i don't think i contributed to any of phantom's demise. but can say is that up till around 2004 with the exception of a couple of boats chaudron catered exclusively for the maltese market (unlike today) so i fail to believe that chaudron led in any way to steve baker stopping building phantom
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #36
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Okay maybe the odd Skater
FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #37

jon i never said steve splashed anything
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #38
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
but i guess the phantom hull (bottom) is also similar to an early model Apache.
Actually, as a 'geek' in the hull spotting department, I totally disagree with that, the fwd rails of a phantom 28/Chaudron are far more upswept than the Aronow/Wynne/Walters derived boats. But that's not really important here.

The Chaudron 28 is a Phantom 28 with a curved screen replacing the original flat sided item, the 33 is a stretch of that boat.

Steve was aware of Chaudron and their 'products' back when my boat was being built in 2000, so even if they serviced mainly the Maltese customer base, it was widely known about all those miles away in sunny Kent.
But, as we know, persuing this kind of thing legaly, especialy across international borders is virtualy impossible, even with limit-less funds, which Steve Baker didn't have. Remember, Phantom boats was a pretty small company, and rather easy to 'shit on' as a result. This is why the likes of Chaudron blatently steal, don't even give credit to the designer, or even worse, claim it as their own, and in this particular case, even have the front to turn up with a Phantom derived boat in it's country of origin to race! That says something about Mr Chaudron! I wonder if he was 'at large' when TD visited Malta?

The construction techniques used by Chaudron may well result in a strong boat, they look like it in the pics, though I suspect they're rather heavy and as previously stated, building a strong boat isn't that hard, it's building a strong 'light' boats that requires the knowledge & skill. However, as I've said a few times, after looking closely at the plug work (tounge in cheek) and resulting 'finish' of their modified Phantoms, they should employ a *professional* plugmaker to do the mods, coz it aint their strongest point.

The pics in the Chaudron Gallery, look loud, flash and American, but paint is but a thin layer of make-up, they'll still be as wonky as Kinfasts boat, It's in their moulds.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Picture Quiz

Two boats. Different builders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quiz.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	7232  
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote