Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Re: Picture Quiz

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciao
Two boats. Different builders.
Chaudron 28 and Mike Bellamy's Phantom 28. What a remarkable resemblance!

Mike's still trying to sell that 28, complete with patch of plywood covering the hole in the side where someone hit it

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Perhaps he should try selling to a foreign boat builder, they may need a new plug!

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #43
numbskull

Quote:
Perhaps he should try selling to a foreign boat builder, they may need a new plug!
The new 'design' would go to market with the piece of ply moulded perfectly in the side.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 06-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #44
numbskull

Not too sure about the throttle/gear control setup and mounting!

looks like it belongs in the HMS putt-putt, or a Grand Banks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28-9_72.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	7234  

Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #45
hello

Nice up-right steering wheel too!!!

All ahead full
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #46

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

hey jon,does steve baker ever visit this site, if he does ,hes very good at bitting his lips
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #47
The Doc

he's retired.

Anyway what should he get out of his pram about?

As far as i'm aware theres not a single copy of his work in existance
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #48
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by carly baby
hey jon,does steve baker ever visit this site, if he does ,hes very good at bitting his lips
I know he has looked in the past, but the Internet really isn't 'his thing'.
Anne has him busy round the house most'a the time these days.
(He wouldn't approve of my language either )

Old 07-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #49

Boat name: Wildfire IV
Boat make: Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.
Engines: Chevy 454
Cruising area: Turku Archipelago/ Finnish Gulf

Quote:
How Much ???
MikeyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #50

Boat name: In Contempt
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: Twin Mercury Pro Max 300x

Not too sure about the throttle/gear control setup and mounting!

looks like it belongs in the HMS putt-putt, or a Grand Banks

Jon the pic which you posted is of a boat which was built but not rigged by Chaudron. it was rigged in Italy, rather poorly i admit. i am sure you have seen the throttle/gauges dash setup of the 33' boats rigged by chaudron in the chaudron gallery and one can't really say anything bad about those
chaudron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #51

Boat name: Wildfire IV
Boat make: Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.
Engines: Chevy 454
Cruising area: Turku Archipelago/ Finnish Gulf

Looked into the Gallery And sure wasn´t impressed by the build quality...but what would you expect of a man who has a country full of reputable boat/shipbuilders.
The 33´s looked like they were just painted grand...otherswise they sucked in my eyes.

Oh yes I´m now more and more convinced of first getting a fixer upper and then getting a raceboat done myself.
MikeyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #52

Interests: kids & fun
Boat name: Taboo Too
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: 2 x 225 Merc Optimax
Cruising area: south coast & med

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Davis

What really pissed me off was that i went there on the reccomendations of friends, who when i returned said that threy thought it was crap as well.

Sounds like your talking bo***cks or what you think are friends, don't really like you! Either way, shows you have awfull judgement.
Conmen/theives (maltese waiters in your case) will allways try to take advantage of the intellectually handicapped, especially if they do not like them. And as you point out, it seems even your friends don't even like you.!

Out of interest, many years ago my father had a business partner who was Maltese, the partnership was disolved when we caught him stealing from the till!!!!!!! [/B]
From your quote above, it would seem that you inherited your
bad judgement, poor intellect & lack of likeability from your father.
(This assumption is made purely from your quotes, as I have never met your father I maybe totally wrong & therefore no insult was intended towards your father)

My harshness is a direct response to your ignorance & total lack of respect for the country & people of Malta. If u know your WW2 history, u would know that if it was not for Malta holding out against the German & Italians we would probably have lost the war. As Rommel would have taken north Africa & Egypt, leaving us British with no oil! Malta was bombed flat & its population almost starved to death. They could easily have opt'd for neutrality or surrendered & not suffered at all. Lucky for us Brits & the rest of the free world, they honoured & stuck by their friends, showing more courage, respect & moral fibre than you & other forum members could even comprehend. Don't take my word for it,
use the web to increase your knowledge as libaries probably frighten you!

To finish: If u are right & the maltese have directly copied Phantoms, then they can't be small minded or stupid as in my opinion, out of all boats of the type to copy, they chose the best, by a long way. To say they put SB out of business is total crap. No Chaudrons were in the UK before 2001 at least. SB retired for his own reasons, it was not due to Chaudron stealing all his customers, as this forum proves, he had & obviously still has a large loyal customer base in the UK & beyond. SB sold his moulds
to others either before or on retirement. So where can you buy 1?
Its not just about design & construction. Marketing your product is equally important, is it not. So to all you boat knowledge experts where can I buy a legit new p28?

Sorry for the length again, its the result of being a boring intellectual & a good education!!!
kinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #53
numbskull

Why don't you use your 'interlect' and phd in Mathematics and go work out how your P25 splash with a 225 ran 80mph in 6' seas!

Fkkn Jackanory!

Interlect and education,....maybe, i don't know you, common sense, absolutely **** all!

good night Einstien.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #54
The Doc

can I safely assume thats the last of him
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #55

Interests: powerboats
Boat name: Thumper
Boat make: Fletcher
Engines: Johnson 225hp
Cruising area: Carlingford

Guys its suposed to be a forum for thought and discussion and to encourage fellow boaters to join and participate. This slinging personal insults really hurts the credibility of boatmad. Crap happens in this world. We learn to overcome.
Brian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #56
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Yeah BB, back in the old days the mods would moderate or ban but not take part in the name calling / mud slinging
FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #57

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #58

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally posted by kinfast
From your quote above, it would seem that you inherited your
bad judgement, poor intellect & lack of likeability from your father.
(This assumption is made purely from your quotes, as I have never met your father I maybe totally wrong & therefore no insult was intended towards your father)

Oh shit, you don't like me, now I'm sad...assume all you like, I'm not at all bothered. Insult my father all you like, he's unlikely to care. As for bad judgement, I ain't the one with the Chaudron!

QUOTE]Originally posted by kinfast

My harshness is a direct response to your ignorance & total lack of respect for the country & people of Malta. If u know your WW2 history, u would know that if it was not for Malta holding out against the German & Italians we would probably have lost the war. As Rommel would have taken north Africa & Egypt, leaving us British with no oil! Malta was bombed flat & its population almost starved to death. They could easily have opt'd for neutrality or surrendered & not suffered at all. Lucky for us Brits & the rest of the free world, they honoured & stuck by their friends, showing more courage, respect & moral fibre than you & other forum members could even comprehend. Don't take my word for it,
use the web to increase your knowledge as libaries probably frighten you!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the history lesson, but to me that's what it is, History. I don't doubt that they are a brave and proud nation, but it ain't gonna change my opinion of them. I had a shit holiday, the locals steal from your hire car, waiters "try" to fleece you, food was crap, sorry, but thats how it was! To many other places in the world to enjoy, than to waste time and money visiting a crap hole!

So to all you boat knowledge experts where can I buy a legit new p28?

[/QUOTE]

I'll make some enquiries, but you probably wouldn't want to spend that much

its the result of being a boring intellectual & a good education!!!
[/QUOTE]

I'd have to ask your wife for the answer to that one!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #59

I'm flattered that you think us mods are elevated to the status of godhood, but I'm sorry to tell you it's not true, we're red blooded humans like the rest of you!!

The issue with kinfast is he seems unable to grasp the whole concept of theft. Irrespective of whether you like chaudron's rigging, or any of the minor modifications they've made to the design, they took a number of Steve's hulls and stole the design.

ALL of the indicators are there, including the very special wedge in the rear of the spray rails.....

Furthermore, kinfast uses the "current" fact that phantom are no longer in business to justify it all - but forgets the fact that Steve had a europe wide network of dealers selling his products, and a major contribution to his retirement was the proliferation of inferior copies saturating the market!

Personally, I'm in favour in banning kinfast. But I aint the boss.

And b4 anygoes down the legal route - yeh, it's been tried many times, but as soon as a you attack a splasher, their company goes bankrupt, the molds disappear, and you've wasted yer money. It can costs 10's of thousands to successfully pursue a claim, and usually you get nothing back.

If anyone splashed one of Tony, or Adam's boats, I'd happily hold em down while they're beat em with a big stick. So all things considered, Jon's approach is comparitively mild. I share his frustration with kinfasts apparent lack of comprehension of the situation. I'm beginning to think kinfast is just on a windup mission.

FWIW, I have a degree in marine engineering - so I feel reasonably happy my level of knowledge is sufficient to judge design differences (or lack of) between hulls, and to a reasonable degree, their impact. I don't consider ANY of the changes made by chaudron to be fundamentally their own design. Changing a screen a bit and stretching a (nearly) parallel sided hull does not constitute a "new" design.

Perhaps, they are now coming up with some of their own designs and have made wooden plugs - I don't really care, because their history is all about splashing, and they're proud of it!

Chaudron are splashers and contributed to Phantom going out of business - but aren't even man enough to admit it. So then you have this stupid argument about how great phantom were, but oh, chaudron are better at xyz. Bullshit. All the "own design" work on the chaudron is shite. Look at the wonky spray rails, the nasty deck with the dogleg in. Perhaps if they'd made their entire own deck and it was a masterpiece you could argue their workmanship is reasonable. But it isn't.

This isn't of course saying phantom are perfect - and certainly Steve never pretended that they were. In fact, whether you like the styling or not is irrelevant. Steve put his heart and sole into his boats - the least we can do is show our support for the genuine products!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #60

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

what i cant understand is why trio dont advertise the fact that they have the genuine phantom moulds (not all) and you can still buy these boats brand new,its like a big secret and they dont want to tell anyone

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote