Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Harmsworth Trophy

Bit of news for yawl.

TRUSTEES WITHDRAW THE BRITISH INTERNATIONAL HARMSWORTH TROPHY

It was announced today (17 March 2005) that the oldest trophy in the history of powerboat racing, the British International Harmsworth Trophy, will not be competed for in 2005. After considerable deliberation, the Trustees have decided that this historic trophy will remain in their custody until such time as it can be raced for, within the spirit of its inception.

Chairman of the Trustees, The Earl of Normanton said from his home, Somerley, Ringwood: “My fellow Trustee, Roy Fisher and I, reinstated the trophy in 2002 and the following year we had the most wonderful centennial celebration, with the backing of the Daily Mail, attracting an International fleet competing in 3 endurance races. This trophy, first raced for in 1903, the year the first plane flew, has always been a true test of both competitor and machinery against the sea, and is regarded as the America’s Cup of powerboat racing. During its history, there have been times when the trophy has not been presented and neither Roy or I can award this prestigious trophy unless we deem that it meets the requirements of the Deed of Gift of Sir Alfred Harmsworth, himself a pioneer of land, sea and air.

“We have looked at a number of options which have been put forward for this season, but none meets the requirements of the Deed of Gift and does not comply with true endurance competition. Accordingly, as Trustees we intend to exercise our right to withdraw the Harmsworth trophy this season, to ensure that this trophy remains as the most sought after in the sport and is competed for in the spirit in which it was originally donated.”

The British International Harmsworth Trophy was first raced for under the auspicies of the Royal Cork Yacht Club before competition moved to the Solent and then onto America. The names engraved in the early years of competition on this magnificent bronze trophy record some of the greatest competitors in the sport of powerboat racing from around the world. One of the races in Detroit in the 1930s attracted the largest number of spectators ever to attend a sporting event, even to this day, with more than one million people lining the banks of the Detroit river to watch the pioneers of powerboat racing battling for this historic trophy.

Further information on the British International Harmsworth Trophy is on www.harmsworthtrophy.com

Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #2

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

so how quick is fabios boat this year

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #3

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

Oh bugger. I'll have to cancel the 35' Fountain Lightning with 2 x 525 EFi's now.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Is that "trustee" speak for " I haven't got a hope in hell of ever winning this myself, so I ain't gonna let anyone one else have it".
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #5

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

Sounds like it, it's their ball and they don't wanna play.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote