Boatmad.com

Old 29-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #1

Cruising area: Norfolk broads

Question help required buying first boat

looking to buy my first boat but dont want to get out of my depth.
so far looking around the phantoms and mariahs are what i spend most of my time looking at. need a good allround boat as it will be used from cruising the broads to going out to sea and pulling the odd water ski can spend up to around 8 thousand at the moment could do with some advise on what to look out for.
cheers.

lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #2

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: Jack'd up, hellraiser
Boat make: Bernico 19 ET, ring 16
Engines: merc 135, merc 175, yam 90
Cruising area: Plymouth

by the sounds of things, your talking about two completly different styles of boats, and with that kind of money you can get your self a nice enrty level boat in either categorey. as a general rule of thumb, a mariah, wont go as fast as a phantom, and it weighs more, but you have the option of having a bowrider, and even if you dont get one, you will still have more space than a phantom. if you want to constantly take 3/4 people out with a donut, pair of skis and a wake boards, the phantom will definately start to feel a little cramped. but without a shadow of a doubt, a phantom is a million miles more fun. hoped this has helped in any way

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #3

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

Check out the Seaquel that Gav builds. I had one of the early Shetland built boats for over 12 years and can vouch that its a very safe boat and ideal for what you want to use it for.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #4

very helpful cheers. the fact they are different boats is where i have a problem as i dont know to much about owning a boat yet thought it might be an idea to ask people that do. is there much difference in cost between maintaining an outboard to a inboard. i take it there are less things to go wrong on a 2 stroke outboard but do they require more maintance than an outboard.

cheers
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #5

Interests: water sports
Cruising area: The bath

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
very helpful cheers. the fact they are different boats is where i have a problem as i dont know to much about owning a boat yet thought it might be an idea to ask people that do. is there much difference in cost between maintaining an outboard to a inboard. i take it there are less things to go wrong on a 2 stroke outboard but do they require more maintance than an outboard.

cheers

Sounds like what your lookin for is a 20ft Phantom that was BUILT for skiing, with a very good and reliable low hours, low maintenance engine....

Now where can you find one of those...hmm I wonder...

oh, here's one..

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=6468
Old 06-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #6

funny you should say that i have been looking at your boat does look nice seen a few pics on boats and outboards. just not sure how i would get on with a foot throttle at 5 mph on the broads. i know the bloke that owns and builds the broom speed boats may see how much he can custom build me a little broom viper for.can you combine a foot and hand throttle on the phantoms.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #7

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

InControl Systems make a really good one.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #8

Interests: water sports
Cruising area: The bath

Broads

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
funny you should say that i have been looking at your boat does look nice seen a few pics on boats and outboards. just not sure how i would get on with a foot throttle at 5 mph on the broads. i know the bloke that owns and builds the broom speed boats may see how much he can custom build me a little broom viper for.can you combine a foot and hand throttle on the phantoms.
If the engine is in gear the boat will tick over and chug along at a nice sedate pace, perfect for the broads - honest guv.

Any faster tho' and you cant see past the nose of the boat until you get up on the plane. But whether its slow, fast, calm or choppy its a great boat - IMHO.

A friend has a 'Ski Nautique' boat, great for skiing/posing but he wont take it out unless there is calm water and no more than a 10mph wind. No good in choppy waters or at sea so he uses it about a quarter of the time I can use my Phantom.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #9

im lucky in the fact i have it all on my doorstep, i have the broads about 10 meters infront of my house and the sea 20 minutes down the road it seems daft not to own a boat round my way.got a few mates with small boats most fun iv been in so far is a broom capricorn with a mercruiser 5.7 v8 350 magnum inboard in, looking for similar performance and a boat thats abit different