Boatmad.com

Old 22-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #21

Oh yes it is :-)

"Had a look at the Shakespear Site reckon it's not the first Shapespear Special as it has a stepped bottom first one didn't I'' do a scan and post a line drawing.
ooopsss turnning into an Anorack sorry guys"

Hi, just a quick reply a few years later .
The Avon Special shown on the site is the original Avon Special shown in the line drawings.

You are 100% correct, it was not originally built with the hydroplane hull ( or cobbly bottom as she was known ). This was added in 64 to increase speed, in fact I had the guy in my workshop a few weeks ago who actually built the boat and added the "cobbly bottom" with Bill Shakespeare .

This was Bills personal race boat, although a few other Avon Specials were built including "Mon Amie" in the scanned pic, this one has shorter spray chines than the others he made as well as his hydroplane hull design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962 Avon Special.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	47963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shakespearefairford1962large.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	47964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shakespeare Special 1cobbly bottom.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	47965   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-Daily Mail CobblyBottom.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	47966  

AvonSpecial1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #22

Interests: Doing up my boat
Boat name: Jeepster
Boat make: Marina 16 G.T.
Engines: Suzuki DF50
Cruising area: Thames and the Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
Bill was Killed up at Lake Windermere about 30+ years ago
Wrote abook about Powerboat Racing back in 68 not a bad read for the novice lot of historic facts a figures great old pics too like the one below from the 1966 Rouen 24 Hr race (shakespear Boat)
No32 came 3rd in 66 hull was built in 62
Driven by Les Good
RON WOLBOLD (Blu-Fin & Marina Boats)
Trevor Fox
Had a look at the Shakespear Site reckon it's not the first Shapespear Special as it has a stepped bottom first one didn't I'' do a scan and post a line drawing.
ooopsss turnning into an Anorack sorry guys
Hi BluFin...I am new here and joined specifically to reply to you because I am researching the history of Marina Boats Ltd and I know that Marina Boats bought Blu Fin Marine, but I wasn't sure of exactly when this happened. I do know that after the purchase, Ron Wolbold was taken on as Head Of Boat Development for Marina Boats and after a bit more research I then found an interview with Ron from a magazine on a site about powerboat racing, where it said he took a break from building race boats between 1972 and 1976...So I assume 1972 is when Marina boats bought Blu Fin Marine and when Ron started working for Marina Boats? The thing is, I thought he stayed with Marina till Dec 1979, when the company was sold to both Monark Crescent AB of Sweden and Al Rhodan boat dealers in Kuwait, but the date of his "break" in the article seems to suggest he left Marina in 1976? You are the first person other than myself, Jeff Hemming (Former founder and owner of Marina Boats Ltd) and Mike Vincent (Owner of South Coast Marine, in Bournemouth , who bought Marina Boats Ltd from Monark Crescent in around 1983) that have mentioned Marina in connection with Ron so I wonder if you perhaps you might know more on the connection and can maybe help me fill in the blanks? Regards. Alf.

jeepster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #23

Jeff hemming

My father Jeff hemming is now85. He has lots of original brochures still on all of his boats. I can give you any information you want on hemming and Morris and marina boats you need. He still is in touch with mike Vincent.He and my mother who worked with dad still live in warwickshire. Any questions just ask, I can give you all the information you require. Best regards Julie
Julie hemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #24

Interests: Doing up my boat
Boat name: Jeepster
Boat make: Marina 16 G.T.
Engines: Suzuki DF50
Cruising area: Thames and the Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie hemming View Post
My father Jeff hemming is now85. He has lots of original brochures still on all of his boats. I can give you any information you want on hemming and Morris and marina boats you need. He still is in touch with mike Vincent.He and my mother who worked with dad still live in warwickshire. Any questions just ask, I can give you all the information you require. Best regards Julie
Hi Julie, thanks but I have already spoken to Dot and Jeff several times on the phone whilst doing my research. Jeff already sent me copies of the brochures he still has left, but many of his brochures have apparently gone missing over the years so I don't have all of them. (The Marina 20' Cruiser is missing for instance)..Some turn up as old adverts in now defunct magazines.
I started an owners group on facebook called "Marina Boats Ltd", but not long after that another Marina owner started an owners group on facebook called "Marina Boats Limited". As we were both working towards the same goal I decided to close my group down as long as I was made joint Admin of Marina Boats Limited. We now have over a hundred members and on average I get at least one new member asking to join every week.
I have posted copies of the brochures I have on the site, including the ones Mike Vincent sent me from when he took over the business.
Alf.

jeepster1 is offline   Reply With Quote