looks interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1960s-Bristol-...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know anything about it?

Nasher

Old 29-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #2

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

I wouldn't mind bidding for it but can't collect and know no one in Dover who would house it for a couple of months.
They are fun boats and quick. Built by Charlie Shepard who founded racing in Bristol Docks also built one of my circuit cats and Keith Horseman's Round Britain entry "Western Credit" in the 1969 race..
They were also good at throwing you out when it wanted

TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #3

Bristol Racers

A few pieces of trivia re the Bristol boats in ad.

Hamer-on taken in 69 at ITV World of Sport meeting at Iver.
Misschevus taken at Fairford circa early seventies.Looks like a MK II version.

Misschevus listed in Winderemere 3hr prog as driven by R.Ramsey.Won it`s class SI at 47.92 mph average using a 1477cc merc.Bill Shakespeare copped it during practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAMER-ON.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	14741   Click image for larger version

Name:	MISSCHEVUS.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	14742  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the info FLYING FISH

This boat has been up for sale a couple of times before, thought it had sold a few months back so the deal never worked out for whatever reason.

So difficult to find any info on these type of boats from that era, does anyone know if any film footage or more info/photos exist?

I seem to remember a Mk II Bristol still competing during the 1980's, one or two 80's built boats along with extremely similar modern day versions are still running today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T850 start lobmbc 06.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	14743  
minto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #5

The blue Bristol(2nd from right no 71) was my old boat. It was actually built in 1981 when I bought it new to mate up with the new Yamaha 60D.
The outfit won the Bristol race 4 times. Once in the hands of my brother and by myself in 88,89 and 90.
The boat sat at my fathers in W wales in dry storage until i sold it to Bill owen from Carr Mill a few years ago. It has been used by his son Joe with a 70 CES Yamaha for the last couple of years after his move up from the Junior ranks. The boat has now been mothballed again and Joe is now using a Tornado hull(same as the boat on the right of pic) which is basically a development of the Bristol.
I'll try to upload some more pics from the 80's in the next couple of days.
taffy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #6

Bristol Racers

There are further photos/films of Bristol boats which I have amassed in the circuit archives I keep.Scanning/transferring it is the time consuming bit.It can be done, but really one needs to know what one is aiming at,otherwise we could be talking hours of work,as I know from the offshore stuff I`ve done for Boatmad.Meanwhile attached is another circuit pic taken at Southampton Docks,30yrs before Honda thought it a good idea to have a circuit race there.Jackie Wilson leads with Don Ross in the Uncle Den schulze cat behind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOUTHAMPTON RACING.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	14744  
Old 31-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #7

FLYING FISH, sounds like you have an almost unique collection of material related to these craft. I now realize it's you that has contributed a huge amount to the offshore galleries here on Boatmad, I'm sure I speak for many when I say your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I don't know how extensive your circuit stuff is, but it would be great if you had any shots showing the various Bristol hull shapes from the early years until late 70's early 80's. Could I ask what venues your film footage is from and an idea of the years they span?

Many Thanks for your info so far and a Happy New Year to all on Boatmad.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #8

Circuit Archives

The first race I saw and photographed was at Iver (World of Sport series) which may have been 67 not 69 as I mentioned on pic.Then went to the Paris 6HR races from 1970 onwards off and on.I took Super 8 of 1970 race much like the offshore stuff I did.When video appeared in 73 ,I started taping the Bristol races on a Phillips N1500 machine.Not much on the box then.The odd chasewater race and several Fairford races,the one off Thames race come to mind.Then in 81 when video really took off there were more races to tape.Offshore is more No1.I never know if this site embraces the circuit scene,perhaps as circuit is almost dead in this country.Come to think of it national offshore is not far behind.When you think the UK was a main player for all racing not that long ago.It`s a world stage now,but UK isn`t part of it.
To get all the old circuit films on to a website would require the assistance of a certain person who at present is caked in grp prior to his RB08 adventure,and any work of that nature is on hold until he crosses the finish line,or is scooped up from an Irish Sea swell.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Not so.

I'm sure, that if there's sufficient interest, there could be another 'Graham Stevens' section alongside his already famous 'Offshore' entry on the Media site.

The RB thing is keeping me busy for sure, but to show I can multi task, I will today & tomorrow encode a few more of the Offshore vids, working down the list, and get them uploaded. Can't promise how many, but will certainly do a few.

Work proceeds on Project 31, Thursday. Then off to Barcelona on the 6th for a few days, to earn a crust.

PS. We'll have none of that 'being scooped up' talk thank you!!!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #10

scooped?????????? NAH need a crane
HAPPY NEW YEAR J F.................
PS. Bollox is still of his ginger nuts!!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

And a very happy new year to you too Tim.

Enough with the 'crane' talk!!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #12

Old Vids

Ummm! That was a nice piece o` bait for the cuddly one.Must log that.
Good to hear you have rinsed the resin out of your mits and can use em for other things.
Pushing my luck,I`ll suggest a selection from 63,69,73 & 74 CT.
I would imagine `scooped up` is a term the crew of a coastguard helicopter would use when on patrol.You could always wear a pair of flourescent orange trousers for easy indentification as pioneered by TBC in his Black Tornado/Scavenger days.The neck brace would be optional,as displayed in the offshore films of that ilke.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #13

Jesus H whatsit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you realy got a pic of me after I broke my neck??? That was at Beaulieu '71 at the season opener still raced all season first in the neck brace then in plaster to waist!!!
Doctor at B'ham couldn't understand why neck was not healing s went to the infamous Tom Tucker in Park St London who sent me to get plastered I then turned up with crash hat in hand, nurses went mental as they thought i had ridden a motor bike to the hospital So put helmet on and said now you can make my cast
Did one race with Norman Ricketts at Royalk Motor and I made some comment about needing tape to stop brace coming of so Alf Bullen and poss Keith Horseman put a padlock on it and p*zzed of wit the key
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #14

Still got part of the orange trousers, use it in the car to clean windows
Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #15

Those Irish swells are definitely something you wanna rule out of your life.

Thanks for getting back so quickly FLYING FISH. Your library of circuit footage sounds excellent, Chasewater, Fairford, Paris, Iver and other such venues seem to hardly exist on film at all.

If JON allows a small circuit page to be tucked away on here somewhere, I'd be extremely grateful for your efforts in any material you might add when time allows. I have some odd cine/video footage of my own laying around from offshore and circuit, but require some much needed advice on what I need, and how to transfer it to computer.

TAFFY97
I thought the number seemed significant on the following picture. A Bristol at Bristol, probably mid to late 70's, it's definitely a time when boats still had amusing names.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bristol No97.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	14750  
Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #16

Interests: BOATS
Engines: XR2- 2.5 EFI

Bristol

any one got a short shaft engine that will fit one of these good boats so i can start and use mine ?
HAVE A GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #17

Hi Graham, I'd be more than happy to assist again creating a circuit racing photo gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
There are further photos/films of Bristol boats which I have amassed in the circuit archives I keep.Scanning/transferring it is the time consuming bit.It can be done, but really one needs to know what one is aiming at,otherwise we could be talking hours of work,as I know from the offshore stuff I`ve done for Boatmad.Meanwhile attached is another circuit pic taken at Southampton Docks,30yrs before Honda thought it a good idea to have a circuit race there.Jackie Wilson leads with Don Ross in the Uncle Den schulze cat behind.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #18

Interests: Osprey Powerboat Rescue Team, Photography
Boat name: Osprey Rescue
Boat make: Osprey Built, 21ft, Drop Front
Engines: Mercs
Cruising area: UK National/World Series

Send a message via MSN to CarlEOgden Send a message via Skype™ to CarlEOgden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hi Graham, I'd be more than happy to assist again creating a circuit racing photo gallery.
I aim to do some Circuit Racing photography this year so would post images as well.

Not got much but do have a couple of National Events, some club racing from Carr Mill and Barrow plus some Jet Ski Racing from Barrow last year.

Carl.
CarlEOgden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #19

Circuit Info

Thanks Matt for your kind offer to create a circuit gallery.Another job on my list.Can`t say it is imminent as I am in the middle of wading through offshore pics to create a portfolio of photos to accompany the builders lists that were done.I have some circuit pics already scanned but they need titling, and I would like to scan a few more before they begin to get fungi on them.So what with this and the circuit films (VHS/Cine transferred to DVD,and then to Jon`s DV format for him to upload on to the web),I would think once we have drawn breath on the offshore,we can turn our attentions to circuit.Hope this also answers `Mintos` question on what is involved in getting pics/films on to the web.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #20

Hi Minto,

Thanks for that one. Not a 100% sure but I think that is Malcolm Cox who used to race at Carr Mill. I'll check it out.
It would have been mid 70's i would have thought because he moved uo to NF as it was then.I started racing in 1978 with a Concorde/Volvo Penta 600GTX and was allocated 97 as my race number by the RYA.
My son now races this number in juniors.

taffy97 is offline   Reply With Quote