Boatmad.com

Old 18-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Thumbs down Jack plate and trim tabs

I decided to keep my boat it's a phantom 21 with 225 promax runs a lazer 23 prop, been told to get a 25 cleaver or chopper jack plate and some trim tabs, any thoughts on this and which to go for cheers

Frankwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwood View Post
I decided to keep my boat it's a phantom 21 with 225 promax runs a lazer 23 prop, been told to get a 25 cleaver or chopper jack plate and some trim tabs, any thoughts on this and which to go for cheers
who ever told you that clearly hasn't got a clue......

cleaver is complete opposite of a chopper

if you want a prop which cavitates loads, & handles badly & give you a maybe 2 mph extra top end on a flat calm day, yes get a chopper, 99% of the time the lazer will be faster, purely becuase you can keep the boat in the water & drive it.... safely!

cleaver wont work with you're setup, there mainly for bat boats / cats which need the back lifting, phantoms need the bow lifting.

trim tabs.... down to youre preference....... I took them off my P23 & it runs really stable without them.

What do you want..... faster hole shot, higher average speed, higher top speed etc.

RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Regarding jacks....... I like them, makes setup easier, faster holeshot by dropping engine, faster top end when lifting engine up....... but they are a weak link so get a decent one.

They also shift the Centre of gravity back quite creating more natural bow lift, which makes the boat flighty & ruins your nice high average speed.

The Mutz Nuts, a p20 with a 300 promax, had a jack & was a handful to drive untill I moved weight forward & it transformed handling.

I believe your boat is built quite strong & built heavier so I doupt you'd have a problem with it getting flighty.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Cheers for ur reply think I mite just stick with what I got then cheers
Frankwood is offline   Reply With Quote