Boatmad.com

Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #1

Cruising area: tyne

Just when you thought...

it could not get any worse. after the change the name debate on the motiavation thread. it got the cogs grinding to your worst ever boating experience.heres mine
whist cruising in my reiver with johnson 70 down a well know local river ,thast just happens to hold a market with a crowd of several thousand the engine started stuttering so i said to my pal" give it the gun then". he said" i am"" try again i" said in less than certain terms.at that point i glanced behind as the back seat passenger got in to the front. the engine was smoking slightly . i removed cowl (we have 50 l of fuel in boat) the engine ignited and burst in to flame(oh ****)the escaping paasenger then jumped over board.my navi (term used loosley put the blaze out witha dry power.many many people now watching. we had to paddle aboutr 60yrds to the side with a paddleand a hat but we did get a round of appaulse when we made it.
any body had worse

Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

I think that this could come close to yours, towing my racing cruiser and trailer total all up weight 3 ton with my Range Rover (bloody things were useless for towing) back in 1982 from racing in Fowey Cornwall, had just passed Honiton on the A303 and re-fuelled, As I had been driving for two hours passed the driving over to my brother. Came over a hill and the road dropped away fast. We had found that we could not go faster than 45mph otherwise a snaking effect started. Needless to say my brother lost it and everything got out of hand and we started to snake for over a quarter of a mile until the trailer and boat flipped us upside down into the ditch. The boat skidded down the road on it’s bottom for 50 yards and the trailer was wrecked. All on a Bank Holiday Sunday and we didn’t hit a thing. The leading car coming the other way said we were 6ft in the air as we flipped and he thought that we would be dead. Total damage, one wrecked Range Rover, boat needed extensive repairs to hull and replacement of one drive leg and engine. New Trailer. Insurance company not happy. Us, my brother and I slipped out of that crushed Range Rover like slippery eels as we thought the car was going to blow and never had a scratch on us. I took pics of the whole mess and will post them later. We blocked the A303 for 3.5 hours on a bank Holiday Monday.. Police were not happy!!!

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #3

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
I think that this could come close to yours, towing my racing cruiser and trailer total all up weight 3 ton with my Range Rover (bloody things were useless for towing) back in 1982 from racing in Fowey Cornwall, had just passed Honiton on the A303 and re-fuelled, As I had been driving for two hours passed the driving over to my brother. Came over a hill and the road dropped away fast. We had found that we could not go faster than 45mph otherwise a snaking effect started. Needless to say my brother lost it and everything got out of hand and we started to snake for over a quarter of a mile until the trailer and boat flipped us upside down into the ditch. The boat skidded down the road on it’s bottom for 50 yards and the trailer was wrecked. All on a Bank Holiday Sunday and we didn’t hit a thing. The leading car coming the other way said we were 6ft in the air as we flipped and he thought that we would be dead. Total damage, one wrecked Range Rover, boat needed extensive repairs to hull and replacement of one drive leg and engine. New Trailer. Insurance company not happy. Us, my brother and I slipped out of that crushed Range Rover like slippery eels as we thought the car was going to blow and never had a scratch on us. I took pics of the whole mess and will post them later. We blocked the A303 for 3.5 hours on a bank Holiday Monday.. Police were not happy!!!
KINELL!!!!!!!!! sinkunit i think you have been out done!
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #4

crashing powerboat on A303

This is the pic I promised of the accident. You can see where the boat skidded off the trailer and down the road and part of the roof of the Range Rover crushed. I was the passenger so when the R.R was upside down in the ditch I was aginst the hedge and had nowhere to go so it was a case of screaming at my brother to get out of the window and fast so that I could follow. When you can hear 30 gallons of fuel running out it tends to concentrate the mind! Come on guys, there must be better stories out there than this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pent-up-fury crash.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	9221  
Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #5

Interests: Boating
Boat name: fourplay
Boat make: cyclone 19
Engines: 150 etec ho
Cruising area: weston /painton/ bognor reigis

Send a message via AIM to karl
thought they had colour in the 80's and aint that a mk 1 transit recovery truck ' looks like a photo from 1974
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #6

Interests: Boating
Boat name: fourplay
Boat make: cyclone 19
Engines: 150 etec ho
Cruising area: weston /painton/ bognor reigis

Send a message via AIM to karl
well parked though if only my miss's could park the car as straight as your boat
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by karl
thought they had colour in the 80's and aint that a mk 1 transit recovery truck ' looks like a photo from 1974
Strange thing to say especially as a colour pic wasn't exactly the main thing on my mind at that moment in time. Date can easily be determined by the boat and the model of Range Rover. The boat was a 1981 26ft Fairline Fury fitted with twin 145 Volvo's which won seven races for me plus a 2nd OVERALL in the 1982 Round The Island Race. See pic. Brilliant boat in rough water. This was Cruiser class racing (or production class hence the P number) much mocked in those days by the so called REAL racing fleet but we could field up to sixteen boats at some races and was great fun. People sat up and took notice when cruisers came fourth fifth and sixth in the Round Britain Race of 1984. I have an original video tape of that race and am trying to get it onto DVD this week. Maybe JF will put it onto the server if I ask him nicely, if it isn't there already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pup again.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9223  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

There is some round britain stuff in the video gallery, though only a short 'condensed' version.

here's a link:

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...itain.wmv.html

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote