Boatmad.com

Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #41

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
so true !!!

All of the above proves it is very hard to have a objective comparison between those 150hp engines. I'd love to see dyno'd engines run against each other, and even then we'll be discussing about no 2 hulls, no 2 props, no 2 drivers are the same,...
There are a lot of feelings, opinions and experiences out there as it should be off course. There is also always a commercial interest that lurks around the corner, that's how the world works.
Don't forget 150 horses are simply 150 horses, so what you are really after is how these horses (and torques) are delivered throughout the rpm range and what's most efficient in racing.

Unless you have money enough, one would choose the engine you can get the best deal on from the dealer you trust the most and make it run as good as possible for ya.

Having seen the Merc 150 ProXS and Rude 150HO run in F3 waterski racing it's my feel the Merc and Rude come close to eachother. As I said earlier in this thread, I'd prefer the Rude, but bottomline is you can't go wrong with either of those 2. As I never saw it run I don't have a 'own' opinion on the Yam 150, even though I run a Yam 200 on my P21 and I simply love it...

T.
All good points. What I will add is see what warranty deals are going. It may sway your final choice.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #42
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
Don't forget 150 horses are simply 150 horses, so what you are really after is how these horses (and torques) are delivered throughout the rpm range and what's most efficient in racing.

T.
Actually no - the Pro XS and the HO are both tuned above the rated horsepower - they won't tell you by how much though! I'm told the Merc 200XS which is the race offshore motor that the most recent version is around 225hp - but that is unconfirmed.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #43

[QUOTE=RossM;241513]You say that, but the Hydrolift ran 92mph down Windermere with an XR2 on the back.

Paul's does go well, but then do does Jake Swans P19 with the 150HO, & the whole FF150 crowd.

None of them are as quick as Jeremy's Phantom 19 with the stock 130 yam on the back though!

6 of one & half a dozen really, an engines an engine, personally I favour the simpler, lighter conventional two stroke engine, whether it be a mercury or a yam (lets face it the non direct injection rudes aint worth a wank) but there not as good on fuel, but hey, if you're racing why am I mentioning fuel consumption!?

For a pleasure or fishing boat, that's not going to be battered about offshore, I'd not be fussed running any of the direct engines.

People have had good and bad experiences with all of them.[/Q

Stock 130 lol
team16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #44

Interests: boating, wakeboarding, snowboarding, fitness
Boat name: Outlaw
Boat make: Phantom 21ft
Engines: Yamaha 200hp
Cruising area: Zele / Kanaal Gent-Terneuzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Actually no - the Pro XS and the HO are both tuned above the rated horsepower - they won't tell you by how much though! I'm told the Merc 200XS which is the race offshore motor that the most recent version is around 225hp - but that is unconfirmed.
True! I'm very much convinced of this.
However I've been involved in a forum discussion elsewhere on this hp-subject. And it seems one doesn't make any extra friends by telling an engine makes more hp's than what's allowed in it's racing class.

Bottomline is that the HO doesn't have a official hp rating. The Pro XS does have a official hp rating of 150hp, but these are likely to be very strong horses ! I have no doubt these engines can be set to 150hp as they should be for 150hp class racing. But out of the box they are believed to produce much more.

Now, running an engine that has more than 150hp in a max 150hp class is called cheating. As long as you are not caught, and you keep your racing credible, you might get away with that. Till the day comes you do get caught and must face the consequences. As a spectator though, I'd like to see fair racing off course...

Greets, T.
Toffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #45

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

I would say the 150 HO E-Tec was the best engine I have owned - for its size. Not just the power it gave - but its general characteristics.

It was raced and given a hard time - but if just a race engine I might still be tempted to consider the Merc - just for the better saddle / gearbox combination. But would take some convincing.

Then the Yamaha looks really good too - but the least known of the three to me. I was going to fit one of the new 150's to my RIB though - but not a UK available motor - so had to go with the 200.

As someone said - no one makes a bad engine now - so makes deciding actually more difficult!