Boatmad.com

Old 23-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Museum

Heard a strange story this morning at the Co-op in Marlborough (the one up the road from Salcombe) - it seems a film crew had been filming at the "nuclear Shelter" - you know the secret ones that everybody knew about, and it was because it was to become the new National Powerboat Museum ......... anyone heard anything?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Heard a strange story this morning at the Co-op in Marlborough (the one up the road from Salcombe) - it seems a film crew had been filming at the "nuclear Shelter" - you know the secret ones that everybody knew about, and it was because it was to become the new National Powerboat Museum ......... anyone heard anything?
Hi Cookee, the story is correct! They are looking to house the Basildon collection there, I think they're waiting planning, planning for building alterations, and a traffic issues.

Blue mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Thats good news, perhaps i will get to see the collection after all
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Tropicana Power Boat Museum

Quote:
If that fails to get planning perhaps Weston Council could be talked into setting the museum up in the Tropican on Weston Sea front,they could fill the old swimming pool and float some exibits-its been empty for years and the last planned development has collapsed.That along with the new Pier could make Weston popular again-Just a Thought-it might even get a grant?
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

....traffic issues....... ........Has anybody seen the lanes around there.

Would be nice though.

Nice bit of Co-op gossip though Cookee
Temporarily Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Occupation: Boat trailer manufacturer and performance marine parts supplier
Interests: ocr
Boat name: PLUM DEEP
Boat make: Phantom 19xl
Cruising area: uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
If that fails to get planning perhaps Weston Council could be talked into setting the museum up in the Tropican on Weston Sea front,they could fill the old swimming pool and float some exibits-its been empty for years and the last planned development has collapsed.That along with the new Pier could make Weston popular again-Just a Thought-it might even get a grant?
Romantic idea but cant really see the practical side of museum pieces floating around in a pool in western.
Be nice to see on show somewhere though
wanagofaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #7

There are three possible locations for the Museum collection to go to at the moment. The one above is just one of them. The most advanced at the moment would seem to be one at Poole. An excellent location in the heart of power boating country. Should pull enough visitors there to make it commercially viable.
amott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #8

Hopes for relocating museum to Poole

A suitable building has been located in Poole and the people behind the project have dispatched proposals to Basildon but there are still many hurdles to jump before any announcement can be made. The biggest obstacle is getting 'Change of Use' of the building. Poole Tourism is fully behind the project but another division of Poole Council, the planners are not so enthusiatic. If Salcombe's proposals get the green light, we wish them luck as the main objective is to ensure the museum collection remains intact.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
According to my mother in law our local paper "The Gutzache" says it is happening and opening sometime in the new year
Old 18-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #10

only thing in Basildon worth haveing GONE
pain -tera 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #11

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

We have already offered to help on behalf of your club Cookee !!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Urgent Appeal for Motor Boat Museum.doc (84.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 18-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #12

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Basildon

I was at the old museum at Basildon yesterday with some 'friends' loading 50 odd outboards onto a truck to be shipped down to the bunker. The CMBA put out an appeal for volunteers (see Bob's attachment above) as there is a very real possibility that what remains there with go to the scrap man as the date by which everything had to be cleared has long passed. At least one more load to go. Probably more. There are plans for another run as soon as the weather improves after Christmas. The bunker is planned to be open to the public.

It a very sad sight there with 11-12 small boats still inside - a mixture of speedboats, Thames type boats & a few racers. Two offshore boats are outside, the red/white gas turbine jobbie that was discussed on this site recently & the big Unipart cat (apologies for my ignorance as to their identities). Several old large & heavy inboards still await moving. Some of the smaller boats are also going to the bunker but the problem is getting them in as the entrance is narrow & protected by a blast wall which makes things tricky.

Whilst this old stuff may not appeal to all ("only thing in Basildon worth haveing GONE") it is still part of our marine heritage & without some of it the boats/engines we all love to play with would not have evolved & it SHOULD NOT be allowed to go to the scrap man. I for one will be back there again when the call comes through for helpers to load another truck. OK so my main interest lays in the historic craft but surely you guys can see that this stuff needs saving.

Interestingly whilst there was no money available for the museum to remain open, there was enough (about 250k+ at a guess looking at it) to build a brand new suite of offices, cafe & visitor centre for the Watt Tyler Park.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #13

Interests: Computing, caravanning
Boat name: In-my-dreams
Cruising area: I wish

Anybody know what has happened to my "nom-de-net" ??

Wish I had some space to put store things. I know that before he died I went there with my Dad and he left a load of (very) old magazines, etc., just hope they've not been burnt or re-cycled; don't think they were on display but they were heritage type stuff as the Museum was certainly interested in them at the time. Crying shame and utter disgrace about what has happened there.
surfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfury View Post
Anybody know what has happened to my "nom-de-net" ??

Wish I had some space to put store things. I know that before he died I went there with my Dad and he left a load of (very) old magazines, etc., just hope they've not been burnt or re-cycled; don't think they were on display but they were heritage type stuff as the Museum was certainly interested in them at the time. Crying shame and utter disgrace about what has happened there.
surfury if you need anything picked up and stored ?and they will let me i can store for you as long as it is not too big i am just up the road from the site CANVEY let me know if i can be of any help
pain -tera 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain -tera 28 View Post
surfury if you need anything picked up and stored ?and they will let me i can store for you as long as it is not too big i am just up the road from the site CANVEY let me know if i can be of any help
Thanks for the offer, I have problem that I don't drive (but wife does - and it's not that far round on M25). Just want to do my bit so that history doesn't get trashed.

To be honest as I cannot remember what it was that he donated, but have was probably some boating mags from early days, not really powerboat stuff mind: it might also explain where my collection of Powerboat and Waterskiing went, and also the other, I think, weekly (maybe fortnightly) mag I bought, very cheap with a blue band top and bottom on the cover and photo in middle.
Old 18-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #16

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfury View Post
I know that before he died I went there with my Dad and he left a load of (very) old magazines, etc., just hope they've not been burnt or re-cycled; don't think they were on display but they were heritage type stuff as the Museum was certainly interested in them at the time. Crying shame and utter disgrace about what has happened there.
A lot of the archive has gone to the Maritime Museum, Falmouth already & the other stuff is destined for the bunker. There is still some archive stuff at Basildon, but none is going to be thrown away - always assuming the council doesn't give the order to bin all the remaining museum stuff.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
A lot of the archive has gone to the Maritime Museum, Falmouth already & the other stuff is destined for the bunker. There is still some archive stuff at Basildon, but none is going to be thrown away - always assuming the council doesn't give the order to bin all the remaining museum stuff.
So it travelled up from Cornwall 20 years ago and is now back down in Cornwal about 5-10 miles from where iit started out. Small world.

@ Alacrity, Thanks, that is great news to hear, Dad would have been pleased to know his efforts weren't wasted; mind he could have himself a trip all those years ago mind

I just hope the council actually ask before binning. I am sure another league of volunteers would visit (once the weather's cleared). I certainly would.