Boatmad.com

Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
pcm

It Seems Very Strange That Here On A Website Named Boatmad, We Can Post Pics Of What We Think Is A Really Nice Project And A Very Expensive One At That, Also A Mighty Gamble On Our Part To Undertake The Building Of A What We Would Call A Traditionally British Powerboat. Made Here In The U.k.
Any Words Of Encouragement From Shall We Say The Hardcore Boatmad Possee, Nah....
Perhaps Weve Just Wasted 9mths Developing Something New On Top Of A Classic Designed Hull With A Fantastic History,without Deviating From The Fact This Was Always Going To Be A Marshan 21
(at This Point I Personally Would Like To Thank Colin Sleap For Allowing Us To Purchase The Original Tooling And Retain The Name Marshan 21).
I Think For Our Next Project We'll Buy Some Scabby Battered Old Phantom 18 Of Ebay .use Emulsion Rollers And Some Dulux, Sticky Back Plastic And Chewing Gum, As It Would Probably Generate More Interest For The Usual Suspects.

pcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #22

Interests: EXTREAM WATER
Boat name: HYPERACTIVE
Boat make: MARSHAN 21
Engines: MERC 2.5
Cruising area: SOLENT AND BEOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm View Post
It Seems Very Strange That Here On A Website Named Boatmad, We Can Post Pics Of What We Think Is A Really Nice Project And A Very Expensive One At That, Also A Mighty Gamble On Our Part To Undertake The Building Of A What We Would Call A Traditionally British Powerboat. Made Here In The U.k.
Any Words Of Encouragement From Shall We Say The Hardcore Boatmad Possee, Nah....
Perhaps Weve Just Wasted 9mths Developing Something New On Top Of A Classic Designed Hull With A Fantastic History,without Deviating From The Fact This Was Always Going To Be A Marshan 21
(at This Point I Personally Would Like To Thank Colin Sleap For Allowing Us To Purchase The Original Tooling And Retain The Name Marshan 21).
I Think For Our Next Project We'll Buy Some Scabby Battered Old Phantom 18 Of Ebay .use Emulsion Rollers And Some Dulux, Sticky Back Plastic And Chewing Gum, As It Would Probably Generate More Interest For The Usual Suspects.
This is a fantastic moment i think most of the views must of left most people speechless no body can denigh how big the impact of the Marshan from early 70s right in to the 90s had on not just uk waters but as a world leading british powerboat with more wins than the other two NON AVAILBE!!!!!!!!21 powerboats that are allways compared to the Marshan 21,,,,,, you have turned a raw race winning british powerboat in to perfection.. RACE WINNING PERFECTION...... The Marshans are Here

Hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #23

Interests: Boating
Boat make: Hydrostream HST
Engines: Merc 2.5 200
Cruising area: The Schelde

Nice work! I think the new design makes it look bigger than a 21ft.

Are you planning on modifying the transom in the future so there is no "recess"? The deck sticks a bit further than the transom.

Most people just dont realise how much work and time is involded to do things like this.

Whats the weight on the hull and what is the expected speed/performance?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #24

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
What exactly is the point of this rant? Did you just do this for pats on the back and an ego trip?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #25

Interests: Anything with wheels or an engine
Boat make: GTX530, Marshan 21
Engines: 125 Opti/150 Pro XS
Cruising area: Solent

Wink

I Think that the fact that the British powerboat industry is on its last legs, the regeneration of a classic is exciting and something which the British boating public would fully back. What is unusual is after 1300 views, only three comments. One from an existing marshan owner in the uk, one from France a third from the Netherlands for which thank you for your comments, that is all we were seeking.
double scampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #26

Sorry, I stand corrected, a forth comment, from Belgium. Thank you, glad you like the new design. Pm me and I can give you the tech data etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #27

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Well i commented on your other thread as did others wishing you all the best. But i honestly think you have to do this for yourselves first and purely for the enjoyment.... As i did with mine.

I dont think you can say you have wasted 9 months... And when its floating and running you will feel proud with your achievements.
Remember with the styling its your interpretation and you must be happy first and not worry about others while doing the build. What would be worse would be hundreds of people telling you what they would like to see or how they would do it.

The saying that a camel is a horse that was designed by comittee is quite apt for this sort of thing.

Good luck once again.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #28

Powerboat racing is a way of life not just a good boat design because Mr Baker and Mr sleap, Mr ring were all up on the same Dream.... well they were all winners in the fast ride that is powerboat racing!!!!! If they hadn't got involved in yesterday ware would the ROOST be today? Andy@ Team Hyperactive racing Marshan 21.......................................
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #29

Interests: powerboats / Ribs / Young Boys
Boat name: Luna-sea
Boat make: Sharp 19'6
Engines: Evinrude 235hp

When is the maden voyage planned for would be good to see some stats. Also what's the plan for production? Base model includes?? plus engine etc. Just to ad done with the project, boat looks awesome
odyssey aka Blue streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #30

[QUOTE=Hyperactive;225254]Powerboat racing is a way of life not just a good boat design because Mr Baker and Mr sleap, Mr ring were all up on the same Dream.... well they were all winners in the fast ride that is powerboat racing!!!!! If they hadn't got involved in yesterday ware would the ROOST be today? Andy@ Team Hyperactive racing Marshan 21...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #31

Cool

[QUOTE=Hyperactive;225256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperactive View Post
Powerboat racing is a way of life not just a good boat design because Mr Baker and Mr sleap, Mr ring were all up on the same Dream.... well they were all winners in the fast ride that is powerboat racing!!!!! If they hadn't got involved in yesterday ware would the ROOST be today? Andy@ Team HyperactNO RANT JUST A FAST RIDEive racing Marshan 21...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey aka Blue streak View Post
When is the maden voyage planned for would be good to see some stats. Also what's the plan for production? Base model includes?? plus engine etc. Just to ad done with the project, boat looks awesome
The boat goes to France on Wednesday morning and will be back in the UK some time in the week of the 17th. Prices for the boat are expected to be in the region of £8,500 including VAT for a bare hull and deck mould with built in bow tank. A completed boat (excluding engine!) with front and rear seats, petrol tank, bilge pump, clocks and hydraulics are expected to be in the region of £16,000 including VAT depending on the spec.

The boat mould has a fully enclosed deck so it can be built as such, or made much lighter without the side panels and floor built into one mould aka the original marshan race boats. Weights will therefore vary depending on how you would want the build. Will pull all this information together and include on our website as soon as we can.

Regards.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
As a boat builder myself (we did a thread on our build if you search for BananaShark), you will find that the Boatmad "Public" will post when they have something to say and not before.

As to whether you have wasted your time then if you started this project looking for comments then it certainly was a waste of time, if you started it with a view to selling boats then I would wait a bit and see if you can sell some!

I am sure I speak for many on here when I wish you all the best with this project and hope you sell some boats - Would I have started something like this? Probably not but that doesn't mean you're wrong!

Good luck.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #34

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Looks stunning Pete. Sorry I havent made it over to see it yet. Good luck at boatshow
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #35

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Thumbs up

Quote:
Only just seen this thread,you get a big thumbs up from me mate,nice one
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #36

Hi Pete the 21 has turned out nice all you guys have done a A1 job
Love the new lines on the new deck mate you should all be over the moon
All the hard work has paid off from my point of view well down
russ williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
pcm

get your moulds of the liar russ and will do same to p21 mate
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
pcm

all
i wasn't having a rant, so please do not take some comments i make the wrong way.
its just sometimes i feel this website is the phantom club.
After 15 yrs of building high end ribs for a living its nice to be able to build a hard boat again.
i would love nothing more than to see a welcome return of the great british sportsboat, in fact the next project may even be based around a 10m shakespeare hull
or
25' marshan anyone
Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #39

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Think what you've done with the Marshan is a big
Had a new Marshan in the 80's and loved it, and I can understand your frustration at not getting a whole load of feedback asking about pricing and delivers etc. Just thinking out loud on a public forum here ... (Never a good thing) ... but to me in trying not to state the obvious, today is not yesteryear and although not a spotty 20 something anymore I just don't think their is a great deal of buzz from most of the young these days like their was in the 70's and 80's to get into this style of boating. Coming from Poole back in the day, their was in certain small circles a loud buzz to have a fast boat, go racing if poss even if unaffordable, but where is it now, most people seem to be re-doing the old 18-25' boats back up at their leisure and making a great job of it, that's if they are into pointy boats at all. Perhaps one could hope all the original guys that liked these fast boats would be tempted into as you say a 25 with small cuddy for that added touch of luxury but their again many probably no longer own a boat at all now and if they do its a diesel cruiser. what do you guys think about the general buzz from the public that are not on this pointy boat enthusiasts forum, will they buy into it or wont they???
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #40
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
all
i wasn't having a rant, so please do not take some comments i make the wrong way.
its just sometimes i feel this website is the phantom club.
After 15 yrs of building high end ribs for a living its nice to be able to build a hard boat again.
i would love nothing more than to see a welcome return of the great british sportsboat, in fact the next project may even be based around a 10m shakespeare hull
or
25' marshan anyone
Just as an observation, wasn't it the introduction of those "High End Ribs" that destroyed the "Great British Sportsboat" industry in the first place?

Good on you for taking a classic and making something of it, just please don't listen to those superyacht tender clients and go putting a rubber band round one now though.