Boatmad.com

Old 21-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

New prop help

Hi guys

Been reading the forum for afew months now but this is my first post so go easy lol

I have just bought a 1998 Sea Ray 280 sunsport with twin 350MAGs in from a place in spain, the boat is spotless inside and out and has had very little use unfortunatly I dont think is has been as well maintained as it looks, this isnt really an issue as I can do this stuff my self

First issue is there is a delay on both engines if the throttle is floored and and is only pulling 4000-4200 rpm WOT it sounds to me like them map sensors are knackerd but I am going to do a comp test and full service first plugs leads cap and arm etc first as I dont know when they were done so I know the engines arnt 100% as they are although they do sound healthy if you know what I mean

Now the main issue its getting huge amount of cavitation/prop slip even if turning pritty steady you have to pull the engines back and turning round quick to get a skiier is a pain, now I have got it out of the water and back to the uk I found it has got the wrong props on

Its got 350 mag mpi with bravo 1 drives 1.5 ratio

When it was new it should have had 3 blade laser II 13-7/8 21 inch pitch
some one has painted the props on it with thick black paint which wont be helping so I have cleaned it off and found it has

A pair of Revolution 4 14-5/8 17 inch pich

I dont know why these have been fitted but there seems a huge difference between a 3 blade 21 pitch and a 4 blace 17 pitch

Laser II`s have been out donkeys should I put a new set of these on as it should or is there something more modern? the yank forums say this boat should do 60mph on flat water trimmed apropriatly but I do want to pull skiers

As it is now it easy pulls 2 skiers out but it should with a 17 on it lol

sorry for the babble

Thanks
Si

Toger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
den

Boat make: Searay 215EC
Engines: Mercruiser 5.0L

Props

Try the mercruiser website, there is info on there
den is offline   Reply With Quote