Boatmad.com

Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #41
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Just come across this site and thought I'd post a pic of mine.

It's a San Marino 1991 that I bought in 1999.

It had a 454 in it which I very quickly managed to destroy terminally so picked up a new 502 and bravo 1. Got it at a really cheap price through Doug Ashley, of Gina campbell fame, when the importers went bust

When new I still had my phantom 18 with 200 merc and it would just about see that off in the calm but with a sea it would leave it standing.

Had all sorts of grief with the engine with mercruiser supplying 2 new long blocks so far. Apparently they suffer from reversion and it seems that they don't do a job on the valves when they put them together. The heads last approx 15 hours out of the factory but 250 plus if Doug builds them up!

It's been a brilliant boat wit the exception of the engine, but is starting to show the wear of 670 hours since I've had it so last weekend it all came to pieces to be re upholstered and probably a spray job.

I loked at the Monza at Medway Bridge and it's been for sale for over 18 months now. I did put a silly bid on it but it was rejected.

There was another one for sale recently in spain that looked like the one on the website. That was going for £18k but had a dicky engine. Never did get over to have a look.

Spoke to the Owner of Revenger at the boat show some years back and he put me in contact with a norwegian feloow who had bought the moulds for the San Marino and Monza. He said that he would build one if you talked to him right but he wasn't interested unless he could build complete which didn't suit me.

And breathe, probably enough for a first post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0443_640x480.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	10598  

Old 05-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #42
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Nice boat!

Never heard of the 502 suffering particularly with reversion though, at least not unless you subscribe to old 'giving it a rev' as you switch it off.

What top speed do you get with the 502 setup?

jf

Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #43

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

If properly sorted and set up I would love to see that out in the RB fleet in 2008. It would be the 4th Revenger entered.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #44
Engine tester

Think the reversion has always been a problem according to mercruiser hence the changed headers and risers through the years. the problem I seem to have though is the installation has the exhausts exactly dead centre height of the swim platform so the exhaust have to head down at a rate and then exit so they tend to be looking at the green stuff.

Also when merc put the heads together they don't do any work on valves they take stock and just assemble. Doug though has the seats recut three way and then seats the new valves. Seems to work.

had a laughable day in suffolk yatch harbour this year on way to norfolk. blew a valve about ten miles out, arrived in harbour 5.30 ish new head built and shipped overnight along with gasket set, turned up at 9 ish and rebuilt and away by 12.00 next day. Don't think the local engineer could believe it.

top end is all over the place. have recorded best of 74.2 mph on gps but at the moment I'm only getting 64.5 some of which is down to using a 26" new fangled 5 blade to try and the revs down. the blade area on them is huge if you haven't seen one yet.

Best speed recorded was with a bravo 1 24"

Engine is coming out in next few days for a quick refresh and I need to get the prop down to PR for litle reworking.

The other thing that affects speed drastically is that she sticks in calm water. You need a good chop for her to really open up.

As for 2008 RB, the last time I raced was OCR back in 1983 so the licence probably isn't up to spec let alone the kidneys.

Also she's 8.2 litre so would she make class nowadays?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally posted by motorvator

There was another one for sale recently in spain that looked like the one on the website. That was going for £18k but had a dicky engine.
I have e-mailed the Broker about that one a number of times but have never received a reply! I presume its been sold now but not removed from the web.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #46
numbskull

Interesting. We raced with a 502 for 3 seasons, 2 of which the motor was modified, in ways that would incourage reversion. The only time we ever experienced it, was when the lanyard was accidentally pulled running flat out. That did get some water in the motor, causing a slight hydraulic effect, but we did get going again and finished the race ok, without any detriment to the motor.
Never had cause to remove a cylinder head in the 3 years.
We still hold the National speed record for class @ 79.37mph which we set with that motor.

It had:

different cam/lifters/rockers (Crane)
different exhaust manifolds/risers
modified fuel pumping & injection system

The first season of racing was in NPC, and the motor was "crate standard".

jf
Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #47
Engine tester

Jon,

Different cam would alter the problem. Apparently the problem really came to a head (pun intended) when the MPI came out and the overlap from exhaust to inlet became pronounced causing the problem.

Merc's apparently built all sorts of see through headers and risers to try and solve the issue but gave up in the end.

Depending how long ago you were as well you probably had the gen 4 or 5 block which ran with oval as opposed to square ports on the gen 6. Those heads are still rated as the ultimate in performance and the change was only made due to the engines use in trucks etc.

Funny you should mention the hydraulic problem. Did exactly the same one day and filled a cylinder completely when we came off the plane and the backwash shoved the exhaust flap through. Again just pulled the plug and we were running again in minutes.
tend to be careful how I back off now.

At turnip, I spoke to the broker at length about it but it took me half a dozen conversations before he would admit that one of the engines was awol. He went through all sorts of blagging about dodgy starter, wiring problems, slightly tight cylinder etc. Was quite amusing really.

That was only in June so I would imagine It's either still there or the owner has forked out on rebuilds and kept it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #48

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally posted by motorvator

As for 2008 RB, the last time I raced was OCR back in 1983 so the licence probably isn't up to spec let alone the kidneys.

Also she's 8.2 litre so would she make class nowadays?
Age is not an excuse, Lady Arran went round last time (in a Revenger 25) and spent her 65th at Oban partying with the fleet!
Your boat would be just fine in Tourism Class S1.
Re Lady Arran, She was a pretty cunning old gal. The boat was fitted with twin 260hp mercs and she entered it as a Class 1. She came third in class!!
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #49
Engine tester

Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
Age is not an excuse, Lady Arran went round last time (in a Revenger 25) and spent her 65th at Oban partying with the fleet!
Your boat would be just fine in Tourism Class S1.
Re Lady Arran, She was a pretty cunning old gal. The boat was fitted with twin 260hp mercs and she entered it as a Class 1. She came third in class!!
How about fear can I use that? Lady Arran doesn't count anyway cause regardless of her age I don't think she ever had any marbles Absolute nutter that has my respect.
motorvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #50
numbskull

Still seems odd to me, as the Crane cam I fitted required leak-down lifters (Rhodes style) as it had so much overlap and a crap, lumpy idle, that was the point of my comment, that with the fairly radical cam we ran, reversion still wasn't an issue, unless switched off at anything other than idle, which to be honest, goes for any motor.

Oh well, ya live n learn.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #51
Engine tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Still seems odd to me, as the Crane cam I fitted required leak-down lifters (Rhodes style) as it had so much overlap and a crap, lumpy idle, that was the point of my comment, that with the fairly radical cam we ran, reversion still wasn't an issue, unless switched off at anything other than idle, which to be honest, goes for any motor.

Oh well, ya live n learn.
Fair comments Jon, The other thing we found helped was to leave the seals out of the valves as well. Ok you use a bit of oil but at least the valves are getting soaked in oil which helps.

The reversion obviously starts the valve stems rusting and it's all downhill once it starts. Interestingly the problem always starts with number 5 cylinder so when the plug fouls there you can bet there's only 20 hours left.