Boatmad.com

Old 01-02-2005, 01:07 AM   #21
hello

On the mercury outbaords they use tubes that run down through the manifold or spacer on a EFI motor. The manifold/spacer has to be drilled acordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intakecross.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2801  

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:25 AM   #22

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

JBD

So one of those tubes is fuel and the other N2O, right?
How is the fuel and gas metered? Are the jets in the line or at the exit of the tube, ie. 6 fuel jets and 6 gas jets?
When setting it up is there a corresponding fuel jet for each gas jet or is it trial and error?
What about the engines normal jetting, I suppose that stays as it is if there is extra fuel being delivered with the N2O. Do you need an extra fuel pump or can you tap into the engines fuel supply pump? Regulator?

Sorry for all the Q?s, I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks, Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #23
hello

Not sure about that to be honest, its just a pic I found on S and F when we were trying to figure out how to fit Burty's kit. Burty's kit injected methanol as well as N2O so you may be right, one tube for each. On EFI motors they drill they reed plates but more commonly they fit the 1" intake spacer and drill that instead.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydrostream
Burty, was it a nitrox system?
Dunno, cant remember. it was a blue bottle. ask OCRDA he will know
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #25

Re: JBD

Quote:
So one of those tubes is fuel and the other N2O, right?
How is the fuel and gas metered? Are the jets in the line or at the exit of the tube, ie. 6 fuel jets and 6 gas jets?
When setting it up is there a corresponding fuel jet for each gas jet or is it trial and error?
What about the engines normal jetting, I suppose that stays as it is if there is extra fuel being delivered with the N2O. Do you need an extra fuel pump or can you tap into the engines fuel supply pump? Regulator?

Sorry for all the Q?s, I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks, Alan
-1 fuel line, 1 n2o line
-the fuel and n2o is metered by the jets (I've got the sizes some where, I'll find them and post it)
-some kits have the jets at the exit of the solenoid, some at the entry to the manifold (there are reasons for and against both methods)
-leave the original engine jets alone, as long as the kit is set up correctly it should provide the right amount of fuel to compensate for the n2o.
-depending on the capacity/type of your existing fuel pump, you may need to run a second one
-it is possible to build a kit yourself at a fairly low cost (most difficult part is finding a suitable bottle)
darexms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #26
hello

Re: JBD

Quote:
Are the jets in the line or at the exit of the tube, ie. 6 fuel jets and 6 gas jets?
Yes the jets are in the line. They're like spray rails with holes in the tubes corrisponding to each inlet on the manifold. Dont know much about it either so not sure about jetting and stuff. Burty's setup had an dedicated methanol tank, pump and regulator if my memory serves me correctly. Dont know who made the system but the bottle was NOS.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #27
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Yeah the kit i have has the jets in the solonoids and they have tubes which connect to the nozzle which you drill in to the manifold on efi cars you can get away with drilling one nozzle into the manifold before or after the butterfly and this supplys all cylinders. The jets you buy come in a 2 so like mine the nos is a 50 jet and fuel a 25 jet, I know they say just beacause its a 75 shot that doesnt mean it will be 75 hp more. On my cossie i had 100 shot of nos but i only got another 55bhp on the rolling road.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #28

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

taz isnt that 55bhp achieved due to losses in transmission wheels friction etc. Dont quote me on it but i rekon that would be close to 75 hp at flywheel.

50 and 75 jets are sensible anything over 100 is insane and a hell of a lot of extra power. Do remember most nos systems are instant power all at once and on full throttle so think of the extra sudden loads on transmission etc.. unless you got half a grand for a progresive system controller... mmmm
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #29
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Quote:
Originally posted by glen76
taz isnt that 55bhp achieved due to losses in transmission wheels friction etc. Dont quote me on it but i rekon that would be close to 75 hp at flywheel.

50 and 75 jets are sensible anything over 100 is insane and a hell of a lot of extra power. Do remember most nos systems are instant power all at once and on full throttle so think of the extra sudden loads on transmission etc.. unless you got half a grand for a progresive system controller... mmmm
Yes you are very true but the rolling road i use to use calculated the transmission loss before they told us the bhp figure they quoted the power at the flywheel.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #30

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

shame really i was gonna put some on a scooby when i get one.. makes me think twice for the money

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote