Boatmad.com

Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #1

Interests: anythin thing that goes fast
Boat name: supposedly screaming chicken but still unsure
Boat make: 16 ft. phantom
Engines: 90 hp yamaha and 75hp merc
Cruising area: open ocean

phantom 16

hello everyone im new to this site and i just want to share my phantom 16 with back to back seats. I'll post a few pics and just give me your thoughts about it. Some are a race and the other few are the before pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	21221   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	21222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00071-20090804-1849.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	21223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00068-20090804-1750.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	21224  

16 ft. Phantom
90hp yamaha
phantomboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #2

Just out of curiosity, how much did you buy the hull for? I saw it sitting up in St. Davids for a while but was put off by the step cut into the side. Too bad you guys had engine problems on Sunday, I was looking forward to seeing the 16' run in some chop. And do you happen to know where any other P16's are? I know of one for sale, but it's in rough shape and needs work...

doppler491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #3

Interests: Powerboat Racing and F1
Boat name: Fugazi II
Boat make: Phantom 18
Engines: Mercury 150
Cruising area: AYC

Hi there and welcome to Boatmad.

Do you happen to know the history behind your 16 did it ever run in the UK before it came over to your Island, I was just wondering whether its one of the 16's we may have raced against in th 1990's.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #4

Boat make: Argo 21
Engines: 2.5 EFI
Cruising area: Channel Islands

very nice! im liking that, any more pics? how fast does she go?
scooby_hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomboy17 View Post
hello everyone im new to this site
Made it over from S & F then
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #6

im not sure how much we got the hull for but i know it was a deal. I had to get everything for it from gas tank to tachometer, it was basically a shell and put together 48 hours before the race. When it was running nice for the time being it got to about 5500 rpms. it felt as if it could do more though. i dont know anyone else that is selling but there are a few left on the island.

16 ft. Phantom
90hp yamaha
Old 13-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby_hugh View Post
very nice! im liking that, any more pics? how fast does she go?
more pics r comin soon after its completely done

16 ft. Phantom
90hp yamaha
Old 18-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #8

Interests: field hockey, race cars, boat racing
Boat make: phantom 18 feet race tandem seats: Banana USA 23 feet race
Engines: 140 hp Evinrude Monty USA modified, and 2.7 Evinrude modified by Monty and Evolution in USA

Talking Bermua Triangle Racer

Hey phantomboy17,

I used to own one of the race deck 16's in Bermuda but it unfortunately sank off Shelly Bay one race day and was never found again the year after I sold it. Next to the 21 skater and the 18 phantom the best boat that I had and could run in the rough.

Most 16 race deck Phantoms that ran in Bermuda were top of the class when they ran the Monty or Evolution modified Evinrude 56.1 cubic inch 70 hp motors with the DAH cleaver props. The stock yammis and mercurys ran good but were not competitive - not to say that they can't be.

However once the B 19 Bat boat came along the stakes in the class increased and there was no competition the 16 was always second best except if it was super rough !

Sell that yammi and find one of those modified 70's or talk to Michael at A&P Marine about a good source for props for the yamaha 90 motor - DAH propellers is familiar with Bermuda and the Phantom boats and may have something that works .

Not sure about whether the last owner improved the performance of the boat by adding the steps.

Good luck with the racing and its nice to see new blood in the sport.
Bermuda Triangle Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Triangle Racer View Post
Hey phantomboy17,

I used to own one of the race deck 16's in Bermuda but it unfortunately sank off Shelly Bay one race day and was never found again the year after I sold it. Next to the 21 skater and the 18 phantom the best boat that I had and could run in the rough.

Most 16 race deck Phantoms that ran in Bermuda were top of the class when they ran the Monty or Evolution modified Evinrude 56.1 cubic inch 70 hp motors with the DAH cleaver props. The stock yammis and mercurys ran good but were not competitive - not to say that they can't be.

However once the B 19 Bat boat came along the stakes in the class increased and there was no competition the 16 was always second best except if it was super rough !

Sell that yammi and find one of those modified 70's or talk to Michael at A&P Marine about a good source for props for the yamaha 90 motor - DAH propellers is familiar with Bermuda and the Phantom boats and may have something that works .

Not sure about whether the last owner improved the performance of the boat by adding the steps.

Good luck with the racing and its nice to see new blood in the sport.
Thanks alot for all the advice. The 90 yammi was given to me by a sponsor thats the main reason its on my boat. But yes i will go round A&P Marine and ask about those props for the boat. It's just difficult because everyone else see's their vision for the boat (some good and some i wont agree with) but not mine. I'll just take it as is and hopefully when I get a little older I will be able to completely buy a boat of my own. Once again thanks... N im trying to bring more new blood in the sport as well

16 ft. Phantom
90hp yamaha
Old 20-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
sharkbite

Interests: darts and racing boats
Boat name: Pure Adrenalin
Boat make: Phantom 20
Engines: mercuy xr2
Cruising area: northshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomboy17 View Post
Thanks alot for all the advice. The 90 yammi was given to me by a sponsor thats the main reason its on my boat. But yes i will go round A&P Marine and ask about those props for the boat. It's just difficult because everyone else see's their vision for the boat (some good and some i wont agree with) but not mine. I'll just take it as is and hopefully when I get a little older I will be able to completely buy a boat of my own. Once again thanks... N im trying to bring more new blood in the sport as well
ok, i just thought i would let you know, that i was the last person to run the 16ft phantom that sunk not to be found again. with the mariner 90hp and an8 inch setback, i got the boat to top out at 66mph with a 141/2 x 26 pitch tillman prop. lots of testing was done. that boat was my baby. very awsome in the rough,even gave the big boys arun for the money!!!!!!!!!!
sharkbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
ok, i just thought i would let you know, that i was the last person to run the 16ft phantom that sunk not to be found again. with the mariner 90hp and an8 inch setback, i got the boat to top out at 66mph with a 141/2 x 26 pitch tillman prop. lots of testing was done. that boat was my baby. very awsome in the rough,even gave the big boys arun for the money!!!!!!!!!!
What can you tell me about other race Phantom 16s in Bda? Speed wise, yours must have been one of the fastest? And what can you tell me about the white P16 that almost took line honors? It was eventually passed INSIDE the pylons by another boat...low 50-mins I believe...not bad

doppler491 is offline   Reply With Quote