Boatmad.com

Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky Racer View Post
Look into Rape seed oil for diesel engines, a chap in our club has just started producing it.
What engines/fuel pumps has he tried it on and did he run 100% bio? Doesn't matter really what base oil you use but rape seed is one of the better ones.

Looking into producing bio-diesel myself about a year ago and it looked a good idea if you had a bit of space. There are plenty of plans on the internet for bio-processors ( Appleseed is popular ) plus pre-built ones ( avoid plastic processors ).

You "have" to register with Customs and pay 27.5p/lt tax, other than that it's whatever it costs to produce. Chip shops/restaurants pay to have oil removed so it should be possible to pick up for free!

Or another option is something link : http://www.expressbiofuels.co.uk/ind...=data_home&a=1

Cheers

Mark

Old 08-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
Pension Dodger

Interests: Offshore water ski racing
Cruising area: !!!!!!!!!

Red Diesel/Charter

Just read this response to the red diesel debate from the ybw forum

I see that the Commission's decision on the derogation specifically defines pleasure craft not to include craft used for commercial purposes and for the carriage of passengers.
Does this mean that charter vessels will still be able to take advantage of red diesel and is it worthwile getting boats coded in order to be registered as charter boats?

I can just see it now Leviathan Power Boat Charters

dbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #23

I suspect that customs will be waiting for all the pleasure boaters to code their boats in order to claim the tax back.

Then in a years time they'll turn up and ask to see your books. When the number of charters/income doesn't match up to the amount of tax you've claimed back you can kiss your arse goodbye.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #24
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Trouble is, to run the boat as a commercial/charter, it would need coding, and would become a company boat, with all the bollox that goes with it, rather than the privately owned vessel it currently is. don't think I like the sound of that.

>EDIT: exactly as Mark just described!!

If the government were indeed 'minded to apply for renewal of the derrogation' and they (apparently) only have a minimum duty that they actually 'have' to charge (ie, not necessarily the full road fuel duty) one would assume they'll only be adding the minimum tax/duty ordered by the EU. Of course, that won't be the case, as no doubt they'll need to charge loads, to cover the cost of collecting and policing the whole load of old bolllox.

It really is a load of shite!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

What do you reckon on buying a load of diesel just now and paying the current duty. Do you think you'll get to use your stock until it's finished?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #26
numbskull

I can't see why not, but then I'm not a customs man, not sure they'd be so friendly.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 08-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #27

our tanks hold 200 gallons, best get them filled !! but this cant come into force for ages, reckon will take them best part of a year to pull their fingers out to police this.. as some boats will still be using red diesel they have in their tanks for the next season at least, so they cant spot check etc

So will commercial boats (local fishing) have to pay full price and reclaim? or will red pumps be open just for them?

with this and the dumb decison to put another lifting bridge at poole quay, MDL will be giving berths away soon !!
Admiral P. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #28

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

I heard today from a supposed well informed source, that the Customs & Excise expect to have it in place within 6 months. The plan is to allow those entitled to a rebate to claim it back much like we do with VAT.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #29

so it just wont be sold as 'red' anymore, i.e it will no longer be dyed?

how do they police the non-use of agriculture diesel into cars? and obviously now into boats? or will it is just be illegal to use it ?
Admiral P. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #30

Dunno, but I do know that at the moment the vat on red is 8%, (i think) but once it loses it's status as red, the vat rate will rise to 17.5%. So it's a double whammy for the government!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral P. Brain View Post
how do they police the non-use of agriculture diesel into cars? ?
Occasional 'spot checks' usually of trucks. I have not heard of a car being 'spot checked' although they do occasionally stop a load of london taxi's to make their point.

Some trucks fit a partition in their tanks, and have a hidden filler for red, and the normal tank has a reserve for the Police to sample.

I have also seen truckers adding 25% cooking oil straight from Asda into their 3/4 full tank... Aparently the smell is mostly disguised and the colour is also similar. At 50 pence a litre for cheap cooking oil it is a saving - especially if you are using several thousand liters a month..
FabFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #32

Cruising area: tyne

they don,t need to dip the tank any more they have a portable machine that tests the exhaust gases . the bastards check regulary at a tunnel near me
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #33

Does that test for 'bio fuel' or can it determine red from standard? If it can - how could it work?

The option I guess would be to buy biofuel once, and then continue running the cooking oils.. If that is what they are testing for.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #34

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFour View Post
Does that test for 'bio fuel' or can it determine red from standard? If it can - how could it work?
I believe it detects a chemical trace from the pigment they use to dye the diesel red.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
I believe it detects a chemical trace from the pigment they use to dye the diesel red.
Ok, so the dilution with cooking oil would still work. Just dont use red diesel. Also - on EBAY there is a bloke selling black and green die for diesel. There is a trucking company I know who dye their diesel to stop staff nicking it. So you could do the same I guess...
Old 13-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #36

BMF calls for "lengthy transition period" before price of red diesel is increased

By IBI Magazine

The British Marine Federation (BMF) and Royal Yachting Association (RYA) met with officials from HM Revenue & Customs yesterday to discuss the European Commission's rejection last week of the UK's application to retain the derogation for low-duty red diesel for private leisure craft in Britain. (click here for full story)

According to a story on the Motor Boats and Yachting (MBY) website, yesterday's meeting was designed to ensure that Revenue & Customs fully understands the marine industry's need for a "lengthy transition period" before the price of diesel is increased next year. As of January 1, 2007, all diesel used for private leisure craft in Britain is likely to be taxable at the same rate as road diesel, effectively doubling the existing price of red diesel to around £1 per litre.

However, BMF executive director Howard Pridding told MBY after the meeting that: "The price won't go up on 1 January. The reality is there will be a period of time in which boaters will continue to benefit from the low duty rate." He added: "We came away from the meeting content that Customs understands the need for a lengthy transition period."

Pridding also said that he expects a period of at least six months before the change could be implemented by the government alone. Moreover, a consultation phase would also have to take place before any action is taken.

(12 December 2006)
Old 13-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #37

Interests: wasting money on boats
Boat name: aquilla .
Boat make: Superhawk 40. Ring 21E. Seadoo gtx. Windy Khamsin
Engines: Kad 300s. 300xs Dbr .d6 370 230 4tec
Cruising area: corfu

The price won't go up on 1 Jan

we will see, i think gordon brown will want his money as quick as he can,also when you look at the price of petrol at marina's diesel will probley be the same
more like 110 per ltr. salterns charge 125 per ltr for fuel so god no's what they will charge for diesel 120
Rockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #38

latest news

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...50mbmnews.html

well 2007 could be alright
Old 13-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #39
numbskull

Anyone who feels strongly about this, should sign this petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Boat-diesel/

Who knows if it will do any good, but it can't hurt.

Old 13-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #40

allready signed