Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Just to give a small History lesson the first Cowes- Torquay was held in 61 and was won by a boat called Thunderbolt driven by the great Tommy Sopwith with an ave speed of 25 MPH. The following year it was Tramontana with an Ave speed of 37 MPH. As we all know the speeds did not really get going until the 70's and even then the speeds hit the mid 70's. Like i said times have moved on.

Dear Professor Manchester,

Your history lesson is much appreciated but actually between 1961 and 1968 the speeds ranged from 24.4mph to 48.6 mph according to the offshore bible. The quantum leap came in 69 with Aronow driving his Cary 32 and averaging 66.5.

Your humble and grateful student.

Ben

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #42
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Dont forget those are average speeds over 250+ Nm, Open water racing not spectator can racing. There is a big difference.

RYA are you conversant with the "Peter Prinicple"

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #43

Dear Professor Mazer,
Your history lesson is much appreciated but between 1961 and 1968 the speeds ranged from 24.5mpg to 53.0 mph according to THE offshore bible (Graham Stevens)
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Dear Professor Manchester,

Your history lesson is much appreciated but actually between 1961 and 1968 the speeds ranged from 24.4mph to 48.6 mph according to the offshore bible. The quantum leap came in 69 with Aronow driving his Cary 32 and averaging 66.5.

Ben
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #44
Ben

Have I mis-read the bible according to Crouse?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #45

What does crouse say surfury's speed was in 67?
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...rquay.Pdf.html
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #46
Ben

Um.......er...............53.

Please don't call on me again Sir.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #47
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

Cool ctc

does any one know if theres anymore talks on bringing the race back,i would have thought it would need planing soon,
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #48
blind dog

ctc 08

i was told at the weekend theres a possability the race may run as torquay cowes torquay does anyone know if this is of truth
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #49
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I'm hopefull that something will happen re: CTC.

I've spoken to a few people and all agree that if the rules could be sorted so that there's a very simple setup, mebbe only two generic class's, if you don't fit one, you get lumped into the other, a bit like it was with Touring, and Grand Touring and with rules that don't encourage out & out race boats, but rather 'poker run' type boats, there could be quite a few who would have such a boat, for that one race a year, a couple of poker runs, and a bit of performance pleasure boating.

Every year all the old fossils gather at Cowes, they come as much to see their old pals that they haven't seen since the last Cowes, as they do to watch the racing. Those guys would ALL love to do the famed CTC, even if it were run as a Poker Run or ralle, or even as pleasure navigation type race. I include myself in the 'fossil' list.

If there was only that one race each year, they wouldn't be terrified of busting the boat all the time poker running, or pleasure boating because of upcoming events, so they'd actually get used outside of the race arena, making a powerboat a worth while thing to have.

Many of the RB boats will be a tad redundant after june next year, and I'm sure such an event would be perfic for those.

I don't think we should talk burty big bollocks about doing loads of similar events, coz it'd ruin it.

One race a year, not too many rules (if any), ideally no licence, idealy no RYA.

It's enough of an endurance event, to attract those who remember real offshore, and enough of a famous title, that I can honestly say I don't know anyone that I feel would say 'na, not interested'.

Nick and I would be up for it, that's for sure, but the thought of doing a season long load of races, jumping through hoops for organisers whilst throwing £50 notes at em doesn't appeal. The essence for me is the 'One race a year' aspect with no red tape, or dickheads with clipboards.

Probably not run out of the Cowes Yacht haven though, as I think they charge Powerboat P1 £25K for using the haven, which would make this type of thing a non starter.

Tony Hamilton reckons he could have quite a few boats based out of his yard on the Medina, could be a start at least.

I think it's a realistic thing to hope for, as the cost of doing it, still only runs over one weekend, as long as the base on the Solent isn't a crazily priced. I'm assuming the Torbay Yacht club would help at that end of course.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #50
blind dog

ctc

i got the feeling it had been talked about but running in reverse,i dont know how true,he also said he wasnt sure if p1 were going back to cowes cos of costs amongst other things,all i do know is the ctc is a race you should do at least once and i would for sure
Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #51
numbskull

CTC-1 max engine capacity 13 litre, minimum length 24 feet, minimum weight 1500 kilos. no headers allowed in CTC-1

CTC-2 anything bigger than the above

No canopies, no forced induction petrol engines

Cats in seporate class maybe.

simple, lests go.........

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #52
blind dog

Cool ctc

ile have some of that
Old 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #53

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Tricky one this. P1 still hold the Rights to the CTC until 2009 and then the Rights return to the BPRC. The trouble is they (BPRC) will probably not DO anything with it.

I don't know what P1 would do if 20/30 boats sneaked out of the Medina, lined up in the Solent and shot off to Torquay. I should imagine there would be lawyers from P1 jumping up and down all over the place and certainly the Harbour Master wouldn't be too pleased. I would love to be there though and many others would also.

Frankly the BPRC have got themselves into one hell of a mess with the CTC. They have licensed the race to P1 for a pittance and were walked all over by P1 and then P1 don't run the race, which incidentally they should be doing according to what I have seen. Someone needs to unravel the whole mess but I am a loss as to how. Unless of course you run it as a Rally, race, sorry Rally, down to Torquay, stay overnight and race/rally back next day, could that be possible? Or, do it as a Poker run or is that too ridiculous?
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #54

Boat make: Apache
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
CTC-1 max engine capacity 13 litre, minimum length 24 feet, minimum weight 1500 kilos. no headers allowed in CTC-1

CTC-2 anything bigger than the above

No canopies, no forced induction petrol engines

Cats in seporate class maybe.

simple, lests go.........
But this would mean I could'nt run mine
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #55
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Tricky one this. P1 still hold the Rights to the CTC until 2009 and then the Rights return to the BPRC. The trouble is they (BPRC) will probably not DO anything with it.

I still don't believe that a bit of paper, can stop say, me, organising an event that happens to run from the solent, to torquay, and back. it's absolutely nuffink to do with them. If it meant running it as a 'form' of poker run, so be it.

All this talk of a club 'owning the rights' to an event, is exactly what I mean about red tape, the RYA, and all the other hoop jumping bollox were expected to swallow, coz they say we have to!

If i decide to have a fast run down to torquay and back, I can, if I choose to invite roger severy along with his boat to run alongside, I can. there ya go, we already have a race! anyone else wanna come?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #56
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToll View Post
But this would mean I could'nt run mine
what motors u running on the RB?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #57
blind dog

Cool ctc

if it came to it and you decided to organise it and you want help count me in
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #58
numbskull

I'm not sure I'm qualified, and also sure there's already plenty of people/clubs that would be happy to if the need for it became strong enough. But, you never know.

I'd seriously love to do it without any connection to the powerboat mafia. their greed would kill it overnight.

If it were this 'once a year' event with most competitors being old timers, who don't race at present in any official classes, non of the drivers would give a shit about about being dragged over the coals by the mafia for competing in an event not sanctioned by them, so they could go 'swivel' as far as I can see.

Bring on the revolution!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #59

i'm sure most if not all of the p1 drivers would be up for it too, if you think about it they turn up to race not for the bo**ocks that seems to follow soon after. surely a historic race like ctc would get them all snatching at the bit for something a bit more special than round the cans?
rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:02 AM   #60
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I still don't believe that a bit of paper, can stop say, me, organising an event that happens to run from the solent, to torquay, and back. it's absolutely nuffink to do with them. If it meant running it as a 'form' of poker run, so be it.

All this talk of a club 'owning the rights' to an event, is exactly what I mean about red tape, the RYA, and all the other hoop jumping bollox were expected to swallow, coz they say we have to!

If i decide to have a fast run down to torquay and back, I can, if I choose to invite roger severy along with his boat to run alongside, I can. there ya go, we already have a race! anyone else wanna come?
There is, as far as I know, nothing stopping you from running such an event without any race club, RYA or UIM involvement. However, any RYA affiliated club and any RYA licence holder would get 'done' for participating in such an event, and a non-licence holder may find their right to hold a licence later would be refused, rendering participation in any future event run under UIM or RYA rules difficult.

But if you are determined to run 'outside' the system, you have the law on your side, giving you the right to do so. However,,, not having the RYA onside will make it more difficult to get official sanction from the harbourmasters. Not having that will have impact on insurance if you were to have a 'race'. Racing without specific insurance for racing means that any damage caused by anyone participating is not covered by your standard insurance, which will be hugely financially disasterous if something went wrong. Getting insured without the backing of the officially recognised body is interesting, but not impossible.

In summary, you can definately do it, but it would probably be better to organise it 'within the rules' by using an RYA affiliated club, and running it as a basic race, with event licences for the competitors. An RYA affiliated club may be able to negotiate a financial deal with the RYA for a block of event licences, and getting the various permissions or approvals to run the event from the harbourmasters will be a lot easier!

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote