Boatmad.com

Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #21

That was my thinking too Chaos.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #22

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
Bryn and Tony @ Trio Mouldings ?
Yup, I am sure it was them although Bryn & Tony must be retired by now. I see though that the company is still operating in Botley. http://transportation.zibb.co.uk/pro...0+2hb/25917669

Perhaps a call to ask some questions about models etc.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #23

Midas Marine were building the boats for Revenger when I bought mine 15 years ago
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
RINGPIECE

Interests: Boats and drinking Beer?
Boat name: Ringpiece/Pink Beaver
Boat make: Ring Ranger 21/26 Revenger twin 450hps surface drives
Engines: 200 Honda/twin 450 V8s
Cruising area: Thames/Pirates of the solent poker runs

Revenger

Here we go does any one now the history and year of my revenger {pink beaver} ex TANGLEFOOT ex SUPERLUMINAL .
Ringpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #25

Boat make: Revenger 25SC
Engines: not big enough

so by that comment i take it this is a common question or is pink beaver been round the block?
ODCarsEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
RINGPIECE

Revenger

Its so nice to see the old boats coming back on the water yes my boats been round the block a few times i must say took it to Malaga spain sold it there because could not use it because of the ban on fast boats doing drug running there is a compound just outside malaga that would break your heart with ribs stacked on top of each with new engines impounded for drug running any way the revenger came back to me dont ask why long story mine has a pair of 350ish merc v8s and mike bellamy drives on and she is good for the high 70s very lively boat indeed not for the faint hearted at high speeds but you will enjoy, hopefuly when you are done join the PRA for our poker runs also COPC it would be nice to see the revengers back on the water again i would still like to know it bit more history about my boat best of luck with your rebuild:
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #27

from what i can gather i now own Sweet Revenge (P77) / Daddys Toy (P23)
Single Merc, single exit exhaust on stern and the impressively engineered mounts that Adrian Bright talked about in his article online. There are a whole host of modifications that Adrian wrote about that match this boat perfectly, and Adrian himself he is very keen to see pictures to confirm yes or no. Either way the restoration is under way, and to be honest i only bought the boat because i thought it looked nice and had a v8! had no clue of any of the history of Revenger or the boats as individuals
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #28

Boat name: ananab
Boat make: ocke mannerfelt b-23
Engines: merc 200
Cruising area: solent

Revenger

Trio Mouldings are no longer trading but they were involved with building revengers
worldchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #29

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringpiece View Post
Here we go does any one now the history and year of my revenger {pink beaver} ex TANGLEFOOT ex SUPERLUMINAL .
Yours was first raced by a chap called Will Haycock and called Ambassador Comunications, he first owned the ex Lady Arran one which was red and renamed Sherry and Haycock.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #30

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCarsEngineering View Post
from what i can gather i now own Sweet Revenge (P77) / Daddys Toy (P23)
Single Merc, single exit exhaust on stern and the impressively engineered mounts that Adrian Bright talked about in his article online. There are a whole host of modifications that Adrian wrote about that match this boat perfectly, and Adrian himself he is very keen to see pictures to confirm yes or no. Either way the restoration is under way, and to be honest i only bought the boat because i thought it looked nice and had a v8! had no clue of any of the history of Revenger or the boats as individuals
I have several articles / pics of your Revenger will sort out and copy for you if interested. Great boats I love them , would be great to get several together.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #31
RINGPIECE

Revenger

That would be great so I can piece some history together if people ever ask about the boat thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edge View Post
I have several articles / pics of your Revenger will sort out and copy for you if interested. Great boats I love them , would be great to get several together.
you have photos and articles on P77?!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #33

The Hey Day of the Revenger, snippet taken from the Cowes report of 1984 in MBY.

Colin Stewart, driving his Mercruiserpowered Revenger Disprin the Fast One,
maintained the pattern of his success this year when he led the cruiser fleet across the finishing line yet again. This time the Countess of Arran in Laura Lucy (RevengerlMercruiser) was close astern, but was still no match for the faster Disprin.

ML.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #34

Just found this old post on Boatmad - from back in 2010 - all about Revengers. Some great info on many of the old Revengers there by John Fuller, "Flying Fish" and others together with some pics.

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16356

ML.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #35

Interests: Sportscruiser technology and lifestyle
Boat make: Sunsation 288 - SOLD!
Cruising area: Wherever

Smile Revenger information

Well I guess I had to join in and put you guys right eventually!

Yes, it looks almost certain the OD Engineering Revenger is the former raceboat ‘Sweet Revenge / ‘Daddy’s Toy’. And yes, I rigged it in 1988, launching it the day before a horrendously rough Needles Trophy, and with Nick Goozee - who had never driven, let alone raced a boat before - holding the wheel, guided and throttled it to a class win and third cruiser overall against one other A-Class and about ten B-Class boats. We didn’t do Cowes but repeated the result in both heats in Guernsey, then on to Southampton, and finally, Bournemouth. I then took her to Windermere and with the support of that equally “thoroughly nice guy” (Thanks for the compliment – the sentiment is mutual) at Techteam Windermere, took the A-Class record to 57.68mph.

The great danger with forums is misinformation, albeit with good intentions. I will tell you what I know but express reservation where I am not 100% certain.

The Revenger product was instigated and I assume financed, by Michael Sloggett, an insurance broker – I think in Slough. The original sportsboat design was by Don Shead in 1982 and the name evolved from the earlier Shead designed ‘Avenger’ brand. Plancraft was commissioned to build them but the first sportsboat plug – I am pretty certain - was made by Gordon Wright because I remember him telling me about it. I seem to recall that Roger Trotman rigged the first one with an outboard.

I believe Plancraft then did some positive work on development of SC version – terminating the lower spray rails which originally ran all the way back to the transom – but the Shead history I have, implies that the deck moulding was from his drawing board, but it’s not specific so I’ll leave that one open!

The early SC models of Colin Stewart, Lady Arran and probably Mike’s boat, were a timber internal fitout. By about ’86 Will Haycock had bought Lady Arran’s boat, calling it ‘Sherry & Haycock’, and I had rebuilt one engine and run few races with him.

By 1988 when I ordered ‘Sweet Revenge’, Trio were producing an internal moulding which really tidied up and simplified the interior. That moulding may also have been a Plancraft development but again I am not certain. Bryn and Tony at Trio did great to work getting ‘Sweet Revenge’ exactly as I wanted it - my thanks to Captain Chaos for reminding me of their names. A brief story on ‘Sweet Revenge’ is on my blog/website.

In early 1989 Will Haycock sold the ex ‘Lady A’ boat to Colin Curran, who called it ‘Fat Boy Racing’. Both Will and Rob Humphrys then ordered new B-Class Revengers.

Rob Humphrys was very particular that his boat be a family boat first and a raceboat second, the boat was initially called ‘Renegade’ and then Plant and Tools’. He ordered his boat with a fully cored hull, directly from Sloggett and had is fitted out by Trio – but he was adamant that he wanted me to rig the boat and install the engines. I had suggested the (then) new, OMC Cobras because they did a dedicated left hand rotation drive – unlike Mercury who didn’t have a left-hand Alpha at that time. Unfortunately it suffered a series of drive failures until I re-rigged it with King Cobras in 1989.

For reference, the ‘Lady A’ boat had two right-hand Alpha’s and the whole installation (by Ron Masterman) was offset two inches to compensate – Colin Curran subsequently got Jim Brooker to make a left-hand lower. (I subsequently fitted the first Mercruiser left-hand Alpha in the UK to Mike Ring’s original cabin Ring 27!)

Will was more flexible and the rule change to allow fixed surface drives appealed to me! His boat was called ‘Ambassador Communications’. The Lancing Marine surface drives were a nightmare to get sorted and reliable but when it was right it was unbeatable and I throttled it to a string of wins and took the ORDA West Country championship with it when Will damaged his knee.

Both these boats warrant a story of their own. At one stage Rob had amassed seven second places but when he did win, it was a big one, taking The Round-the-Island race at Cowes, overall! It was the first (only) time ever by a Cruiser-Class boat!

Rob sold the boat to Dr Hudson but some misguided home-grown modifications had really upset the handling by then. I’m not sure what Dr Hudson called it but it may have reverted to ‘Renegade’. I think Tony Cordial acquired Will’s boat and appropriately called it ‘Tanglefoot’ – before its reappearance as ‘Pink Beaver’ – whatever that means!

I sold ‘Sweet Revenge’ to Tony Strawson who called it ‘Daddy’s Toy and took the A-Class championship with it in 1989.

They were heady days and we were regularly taking first and second place in the B-Class boats with Tony not far back taking A-Class.

Then I somehow ended up in bed with Mike Ring and …… now there’s another story!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #36

Great report Adrian, all true and spot on. The Revenger 25sc has been one of the great boats in our sport even though it was only 25ft.

Just one thing, the deck for the sc was modeled and laid up in Guildford by Roger Dobson (Plancraft) with the help of my brother. I remember distinctly both of them working out how the rear was going to look and also how much height they were going to give it to ensure you could use the cabin properly.

On reflection, if only they had extended it to 27ft at the time I would have kept with them for years but as it was my wife wanted a bigger cabin as we used our boats in those days for both pleasure and racing!! Remember the PCRA Adrian?

ML.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #37

Interests: Sportscruiser technology and lifestyle
Boat make: Sunsation 288 - SOLD!
Cruising area: Wherever

Thanks Mike, and I accept your explanation. One thing is for sure, the cabin/deck was beautifully proportioned and worked perfectly with the hull design. Always an attractive boat.

And yes, many times when I was racing with Will Haycock we said "if only it was a couple of feet longer", especially in big seas battling with the 27 Hunton.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #38
RINGPIECE

revenger

Well thats a fantastic story told by a true old salty dog' as they say they always pop up out of the wood work many thanks for the imfo work out [pink beaver] for your self they used to be in cowes on cowes week?????
Old 23-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #39

Just to add to this thread. The BPRC have just posted this pic of Disprin in full flight. She was such a quick boat in her time.
ML.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10885032_10152580644811961_3322522746969197886_n.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	43604