Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

You never been to abersoch then?

Old 31-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #162

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Nope. Been to most places in the UK and not yet found somewhere that would compare to over here!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #163

Interests: Boats/Cranes
Boat make: Revenger 29 RIB
Engines: Illmor V10/625hp.

Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon McMath
Some facts.

Pete Berrow did not build any part of the boat,it was delivered to him needing only to be rigged and upholstered,therefore he could not have known about the quality, good or bad below the deck and neither could Revenger.

Pete has never worked for Trio mouldings.

The boat was built as a pleasure boat and never with the intention of racing it,Pete entered a basic race and won and was hooked.

Pete slept fine after selling it because after two seasons as a pleasure boat and five years of racing including winning the UKOBA championship,then coming third,then second two years running before finally winning the national championship,the only glasswork he did was to repair a hole torn in the side after a bad landing,remember to finish first,first you have to finish,and a badly prepared and maintained boat doesnt usually do this,Berrows engine bay was so clean you could have eaten yoghurt off it !!!

I suggest in the future you get your facts straight before you start slagging someone off on a public forum,when Pete came to Guernsey last year he made a point of finding you,and giving you some memorablia from when he owned it approx nine years ago and offering advice based on his experience with a boat he loved and adored,surely this is not the actions of someone with something to hide or be ashamed of,what you have found below the deck is as big a surprise to Pete as it is to you ,believe me.

Having spoken to Pete tonight and rechecked the facts before posting this reply on his behalf,his question to you was how can you print his full name on a public forum while you hide behind a pseudonym without printing your own in full !

Gordon McMath on behalf of Pete Berrow.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #164

Gordon,

Firstly I'd like to say that I never wanted this thread to have anything to do with the boats history, who did what, who's to blame, or anything along those lines. It was a build thread and it wasn't me who started the banter about who did what. Every time i mentioned something i heard i made it very clear that it was not fact, it was just what i had been told.

I have never intended to slate someone for something they didn't do. As I've said on every occasion, I really wasn't sure of the facts and i was only going by what I had been told.
From what you say, Pete Berrow is indeed entirely not to blame, and i therefore apologise publically and unreservedly for any comment made by me suggesting he was involved with the build. For what it's worth, he was one of the ones who had suggested he was involved in the build.

Again, as i have mentioned, the engine bay was indeed very clean, if a touch cluttered, though this is to be expected from a race boat after years of changes at different hands! That said, I've spoken to countless people involved with the touring class who have given me a rather different account of the boat's build and condition at the time now they've seen this thread.

It was me who went to find Pete when he came to Guernsey actually, as I had organised it along with Jacques (though Jacques did most of it, paid for him to come over, stay etc so he could help him with the batboat.) Pete was indeed very good to meet, and did give me the folder of photos. I had also spoken to him previously, hence why i was so surprised to find what i did. Again, as i said, i was only going by what i had been told, which i had no reason to believe wasn't true. At no point in this post have I said i knew who did what, and you'll also notice i was never the one to start discussions about who did what, i only ever answered questions. I even requested that people stay away from that subject as I didn't want to get into it, I don't really care. What's done is done. I paid the money and got my boat. When i found issues I've got on and set about fixing them. All i ever wanted to do was create a build thread for people to see my progress.

From what i understand, and from what you've said, when Pete attempted to pull the wool and asked trio to build him a boat (lets not forget the wrong he did here in the first place), he must have looked at it at some point, or told them what spec he wanted.
If he'd just been honest and ordered a proper fecking boat, non of this would have ever happened. He's not as minty white as you make him out to be.

As for me hiding behind a pseudonym, my name is James Larbalestier, as I have said on here many times before. I'm called Larby on this forum, and many others, as this is the name I'm known by to everyone I know, since the age of about 5. Most of the people over here wouldn't know who 'James Larbalestier' is. If you look you'll see I also regularly give out my email and phone number without hesitation.

At the end of the day, this is an open public forum where people are free to say what they like. I call a spade a spade and sometimes i mess up, we all do sometimes. I never intended to accuse anyone wrongly of anything, I was only going by what I'd been told, as i said every time. If you, Pete, Trio, Mr Sloggett or anyone else for that matter would prefer the whole thread be deleted or edited then that's fine with me, maybe i could start again from now fousing just on the rebuild, or if they'd prefer I could just give up completely.

I guess given the new facts, the question is; why did Trio build it so poorly (which they did, even for a leisure boat), and why did revenger sign it off as one of theirs without adequatly checking the build quality.

Anyhoo, as I've said several times now, I really don't care. I just want to build myself a boat so i can go racing, and hopefully post pics of what I'm upto on this forum for people to see. From what emails, calls and PM's I've had, it seems a good few people just enjoy seeing the progress and what goes into rebuilding a boat.

James

Old 31-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #165

Interests: Yodelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Gordon,

Firstly I'd like to say that I never wanted this thread to have anything to do with the boats history, who did what, who's to blame, or anything along those lines. It was a build thread and it wasn't me who started the banter about who did what. Every time i mentioned something i heard i made it very clear that it was not fact, it was just what i had been told.

I have never intended to slate someone for something they didn't do. As I've said on every occasion, I really wasn't sure of the facts and i was only going by what I had been told.
From what you say, Pete Berrow is indeed entirely not to blame, and i therefore apologise publically and unreservedly for any comment made by me suggesting he was involved with the build. For what it's worth, he was one of the ones who had suggested he was involved in the build.

Again, as i have mentioned, the engine bay was indeed very clean, if a touch cluttered, though this is to be expected from a race boat after years of changes at different hands! That said, I've spoken to countless people involved with the touring class who have given me a rather different account of the boat's build and condition at the time now they've seen this thread.

It was me who went to find Pete when he came to Guernsey actually, as I had organised it along with Jacques (though Jacques did most of it, paid for him to come over, stay etc so he could help him with the batboat.) Pete was indeed very good to meet, and did give me the folder of photos. I had also spoken to him previously, hence why i was so surprised to find what i did. Again, as i said, i was only going by what i had been told, which i had no reason to believe wasn't true. At no point in this post have I said i knew who did what, and you'll also notice i was never the one to start discussions about who did what, i only ever answered questions. I even requested that people stay away from that subject as I didn't want to get into it, I don't really care. What's done is done. I paid the money and got my boat. When i found issues I've got on and set about fixing them. All i ever wanted to do was create a build thread for people to see my progress.

From what i understand, and from what you've said, when Pete attempted to pull the wool and asked trio to build him a boat (lets not forget the wrong he did here in the first place), he must have looked at it at some point, or told them what spec he wanted.
If he'd just been honest and ordered a proper fecking boat, non of this would have ever happened. He's not as minty white as you make him out to be.

As for me hiding behind a pseudonym, my name is James Larbalestier, as I have said on here many times before. I'm called Larby on this forum, and many others, as this is the name I'm known by to everyone I know, since the age of about 5. Most of the people over here wouldn't know who 'James Larbalestier' is. If you look you'll see I also regularly give out my email and phone number without hesitation.

At the end of the day, this is an open public forum where people are free to say what they like. I call a spade a spade and sometimes i mess up, we all do sometimes. I never intended to accuse anyone wrongly of anything, I was only going by what I'd been told, as i said every time. If you, Pete, Trio, Mr Sloggett or anyone else for that matter would prefer the whole thread be deleted or edited then that's fine with me, maybe i could start again from now fousing just on the rebuild, or if they'd prefer I could just give up completely.

I guess given the new facts, the question is; why did Trio build it so poorly (which they did, even for a leisure boat), and why did revenger sign it off as one of theirs without adequatly checking the build quality.

Anyhoo, as I've said several times now, I really don't care. I just want to build myself a boat so i can go racing, and hopefully post pics of what I'm upto on this forum for people to see. From what emails, calls and PM's I've had, it seems a good few people just enjoy seeing the progress and what goes into rebuilding a boat.

James
RES IPSA LOQUITUR
Old 31-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
RES IPSA LOQUITUR
Pretty much, yeah! Though I hadn't even gone by that, I had a load of people supposedly confirming what i thought too.

If about 10 posts were deleted, no ones name would be mentioned. Maybe that's the best way to deal with it.

James

Old 31-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #167

Interests: duh ......
Boat make: Seaquel 600XS & Seaquel 700XS
Engines: Merc 300XS
Cruising area: Veluwemeer/Ijsselmeer

I have done my own bit of rebuilding of transome and floorwork , on my old 18ft Phantom and the Seaquel 600xs i own now , but never as big as this rebuild project .
I have one word for this kind of rebuild and your patience in doing it :

RESPECT

Keep up te good work James !!
Ph@ntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #168

Thanks mate, means a lot

James

Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #169

Well im sorry that Pete couldn't have replied for himself.

Still keep up the good work Larby.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #170

Boat make: Not decided yet
Cruising area: Sea

Send a message via ICQ to Kieron
Keep up the good work James, I really enjoy reading about these re build projects, following the progress and the pictures and seeing the boat re built.
Only wish I had the time / patience /know how/space etc etc to do it myself.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #171

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

I popped up the other day to have a look around and grab some bits... It was pretty shocking! Serious delamination everywhere and a wafer thin layup (especially if it was built as a leisure boat as opposed to a race boat).

I don't know any of the parties involved at all except for Larby, so it's not for me to pass judgement on anyone. All I can say is that it's good to see the boat is being rebuilt properly, and she'll be a right looker if Larby sticks with the colour scheme we chatted about the other day!
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #172

Interests: Yodelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
I popped up the other day to have a look around and grab some bits... It was pretty shocking! Serious delamination everywhere and a wafer thin layup (especially if it was built as a leisure boat as opposed to a race boat).

I don't know any of the parties involved at all except for Larby, so it's not for me to pass judgement on anyone. All I can say is that it's good to see the boat is being rebuilt properly, and she'll be a right looker if Larby sticks with the colour scheme we chatted about the other day!
PINK
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #173

Interests: Boats & Cars
Boat name: Blue Lagoon
Boat make: Fairline Targa 34
Engines: Volvo Penta 285 KAD Diesel x 2
Cruising area: Herm, Sark, Guernsey, Jersey

Wicked project, takes alot of balls to take on a big project! when are u hoping to have it done by? I'm thinking of being a guard boat this year?
Spax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #174

Interests: Boats/Cranes
Boat make: Revenger 29 RIB
Engines: Illmor V10/625hp.

Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon McMath
Pete doesnt own a computer Jon,and im away all week,so i am keeping him posted at weekends.
When Pete asked trio to build him a boat the san tropez was already in production,the only involvment in the spec or build he had was to tell trio that he intended to fit a big block rather than the standard small block,i agree Pete is less than minty white and i should know this because i have known him for 16 years,he is however NOT a liar,the boat was delivered to him complete with hull and deck bonded together,fuel tank and deck in place,although he tried to get one out the back door as far as he was concerned he paid proper money for a boat built to Revengers spec,other than ripping up the deck how could you check ? if that boat had been built as badly as you say then surely this would of showed up during 5 years of hard racing ? I saw how well this boat was looked after first hand as i was there when Pete was racing.
When Pete sold his batboat to your friend Jacques he pointed out a stringer that had started to delam before he agreed to buy it,if you dont believe me ask Jacques,again not the action of a man with something to hide.

Gordon McMath
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon McMath View Post
Pete doesnt own a computer Jon,and im away all week,so i am keeping him posted at weekends.
When Pete asked trio to build him a boat the san tropez was already in production,the only involvment in the spec or build he had was to tell trio that he intended to fit a big block rather than the standard small block,i agree Pete is less than minty white and i should know this because i have known him for 16 years,he is however NOT a liar,the boat was delivered to him complete with hull and deck bonded together,fuel tank and deck in place,although he tried to get one out the back door as far as he was concerned he paid proper money for a boat built to Revengers spec,other than ripping up the deck how could you check ? if that boat had been built as badly as you say then surely this would of showed up during 5 years of hard racing ? I saw how well this boat was looked after first hand as i was there when Pete was racing.
When Pete sold his batboat to your friend Jacques he pointed out a stringer that had started to delam before he agreed to buy it,if you dont believe me ask Jacques,again not the action of a man with something to hide.

Gordon McMath
Ok, whatever you say. Note to self, the sun shines out of Pete Berrows arse.

At what point did I say that Pete is a liar? Don't you feel this is all getting rather out of proportion now? I've apologised for the mistake I made and offered for you to ask that the whole thread, or any part of it, be deleted.

I don't think anyone who's seen all the pictures on this thread can doubt how badly the boat was built. Just for starters, have you not seen there was no bedding under any of the stringers. The stringers were held together with nothing but resin and nails. There was a join through both layers of every longit 3 ft forward of the engine bulkhead with nothing but 2 bits of 10mm ply and some screws holding it in place. The stringers had 1 to 2 layers of csm holding them in place. The fuel tank was 3" too narrow and held in place by a couple of bits of bare pine screwed to the stringers, so could fly about.
Is that what you would call a well built boat? Tell me, how would you feel if your revenger was built like this?

Can we please just drop this now so i can either get on with this thread, or have it deleted so i can start a new one.

James

Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #176

Quote:
Ok, whatever you say. Note to self, the sun shines out of Pete Berrows arse.

At what point did I say that Pete is a liar? Don't you feel this is all getting rather out of proportion now? I've apologised for the mistake I made and offered for you to ask that the whole thread, or any part of it, be deleted.

I don't think anyone who's seen all the pictures on this thread can doubt how badly the boat was built. Just for starters, have you not seen there was no bedding under any of the stringers. The stringers were held together with nothing but resin and nails. There was a join through both layers of every longit 3 ft forward of the engine bulkhead with nothing but 2 bits of 10mm ply and some screws holding it in place. The stringers had 1 to 2 layers of csm holding them in place. The fuel tank was 3" too narrow and held in place by a couple of bits of bare pine screwed to the stringers, so could fly about.
Is that what you would call a well built boat? Tell me, how would you feel if your revenger was built like this?

Can we please just drop this now so i can either get on with this thread, or have it deleted so i can start a new one.

James
So why don't you move..

You seem to want the last word.

Your not alone the most reputable of people in this industry can F--- a revenger up.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #177
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I really don't think it's fair to try and turn James into the baddie here! He's a victim (of someone)

Lets move on.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
So why don't you move..

You seem to want the last word.

Your not alone the most reputable of people in this industry can F--- a revenger up.
Eh?! I'm not following you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I really don't think it's fair to try and turn James into the baddie here! He's a victim (of someone)

Lets move on.
Thanks Jon, all I want to do is write a build thread!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

Lets move on.
I'm not but I wouldn't like to sell something thats had a hard life and then get slagged for it.

Its called sold as seen. If your not sure get a survey.

Lets face it the last couple of years i saw that Revenger race i don't think it hit 50mph.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #180

Quote:
Eh?! I'm not following you...

!
er if you want to drop it why did you reply to Gordon's last reply and carry on about the original build