Boatmad.com

Old 13-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #21

yes Simons coming going over Thursday night i am putting the boat in at drivers next wednesday

gingerboyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #22

Boat make: Sunbird Cuddy Cabin
Engines: 4.3 Volvo
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
So you dont think drink laws should be introduced for boating? Why on earth not? Drunk or drink impared people should not drive boats! Its simply wrong, and it is obvious some people dont understand, so make it illegal and lock them up.

If you dont drive drunk, the law does not affect you, so why even be interested in it?
I just don't think such a half-hearted law is worth bringing in. It brings the law into disrepute and gives people more reasons as to why they should flout the law in general.

Also, the number of deaths caused by drink driving of boats is extremely small, in single figures. So why go to the expense of debating this in Parliament when there are far more urgent things to talk about and put right?

If it came in as a package with compulsory endorsable boat driver licences and compulsory third party insurance, coupled with powers to breathalise drivers and arrest them if over the limit I could see the logic. Then you'd have parity with road traffic, which is a system that works relatively well.

As I see it, people will flout the law, because it only applies to them if they have an accident. And no-one has accidents do they? Thats why people don't carry flares, or vhf or wear lifejackets....

delphius1 is offline   Reply With Quote