Boatmad.com

Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #1

Interests: Repairing my boat
Boat name: TABOO
Boat make: ******** 25
Engines: Mercury Optimax 225
Cruising area: North Wales

'Round Anglesey Record !

- Peninsula Ribs Round Anglesey Record Attempt - Update: (06/02/07)
Ian Greenwood of Peninsula Ribs has set the benchmark for future round Anglesey attempts with a time of 1 hr, 35 min, 10 seconds.

Here is Ian's account in his own words...

" After a year of planning and then 3 months of strong winds, we managed to set a GO date for the Circumnavigation of Anglesey record for Sunday February 4th 2007.

We departed Beaumaris Pier at 10:30 with two RYA timekeepers clocking us off. The BBC had a film cameraman and the Daily Post had a stills photographer onboard another RIB just off the start/finish line.

The run through the Menai Straits was flat clam water and hardly any other craft out. This allowed us 47 knots for the full length, even through the Swellies. This was an experience!
After leaving the Straits at Caernarfon Bar we ran up the west coast of the island. South Stack was clear and visible but as we approached Holyhead the fog loomed ahead of us. The visibility in these fog banks was good so we had no reduction in speed. Next point was Skerries Lighthouse, this was turned and then the fun began. All across the top of Anglesey was rough. Not the roughest seas we get, but sufficient to slow us down to 37 knots. This had an impact on the overall time. Once approaching Puffin Island we could open up again and entered the Straits at W.O.T. The run past Beaumaris Pier was great fun and a relief as my biggest concern on the day was getting all the way round. What a waste of a year of planning and all the spectators time if we didn’t make it.

So there it is! 1 hour, 35 minutes and 10 seconds (68nm distance travelled). It is up there now for others to go for. Black Jack isn’t the fastest boat in the world, but this record isn’t just about speed. The planning is more important than putting the boat in the water, so if you fancy a go, speak to HotRIBS.com as the trophy they supplied is housed within the clubhouse of the Royal Anglesey Yacht Club and they must be involved in all attempts to beat me from the early stages.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Kevin Goulding and Mike Deacon for the support, publicity, sponsorship, help and advice they have given me. This was my first record attempt, somehow I don’t think it will be my last."

Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #2

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
- Peninsula Ribs Round Anglesey Record Attempt - Update: (06/02/07)
Ian Greenwood of Peninsula Ribs has set the benchmark for future round Anglesey attempts with a time of 1 hr, 35 min, 10 seconds.

Here is Ian's account in his own words...

" After a year of planning "
What on earth is there to plan about a 68nm trip around a lump of land, other than "do we go clockwise or anti clockwise".

Those ribbers are "drama queens"........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
- This was my first record attempt, somehow I don’t think it will be my last.""
Isle of Wight next then, 2009!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

This is enough info!

Especially with respect to that oul tossa Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
Those ribbers are "queens"........

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

yea the main issue is the canarfon bar and the bit under the menai bridge. its just tidal. not that hard to plan i agree but still takes some thought. i think the planing he is refering to is geting the bbc onside and geting caterers to provide free food so he had some spectators for the cameras. and geting a trophey organised, some sponsorship and media atention.
andyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #5

Well done , nice to see someone new setting a record.
the shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

Boat make: Avon
Engines: Yamaha
Cruising area: Irish Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
What on earth is there to plan
You fool. You just don't understand how difficult it was. The Welsh are meaner than the Scots and to get them to provide free burgers and hotdogs for allcomers was an outstanding achievement.

grInch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grInch View Post
You fool. You just don't understand how difficult it was. The Welsh are meaner than the Scots and to get them to provide free burgers and hotdogs for allcomers was an outstanding achievement.

gerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote