Boatmad.com

Old 22-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #1

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Round Britain Race!

As there are no longer any long distances offshore races such as the London-Calais-London, London-Ramsgate-Brighton, Cowes-Torquay-Cowes and Poole-Cherbourg-Poole I though it might be an idea if we talked up a Round Britain Race. The last time that was held was 1984, 22years ago. There have been plenty of speed attempts round Britain but no race and I don’t quite understand why. Every single competitor who raced last time admits to it being one of the main events in their lives and an adventure and naturally it would be. 40ft waves for two to three hours off Lands Ends would prove the mettle of any man and boat. What do you guys think? Would you want to take part? The boats are much better made now than in 1984 but the cost of taking part would be very heavy indeed. The infrastructure is there i.e. UKOBA who of course organised it last time and there are people like Tim Powell still around who have vast experience in races like this but would there be a hunger for such a one off life time experience by guys like you out there, that’s the question. Is it just a daydream or could it be a reality and how many boats would take part. Don’t forget that even a 20ft RIB completed the trip last time and they were very brave. Me? I’m too old for it!

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

I would like to start with something smaller - like the Poole-Cherbourg-Poole. That would be really cool.

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #3

Well, the Poole-Cherbourg-Poole race would be a start that's for sure. The Royal Motor Yacht Club at Poole has hosted that sort of event before but mostly on a timed trial situation. DGS has the record at the moment of 1hr 06 mins and a few seconds and that was back in the mid 1990's, almost ten years ago, that would take some beating when you think it's 60 miles across. that was just one way by the way. The trouble is VeryTricky there is only you who is interested at this point in time which is a shame and quite a surprise to me.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Hmm lets see 'round britain then Poole Cherbourg Poole then Calais Dover Maybe we arent as brave as we used to be or as we think we are
FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
hello

Re: Round Britain Race!

Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
40ft waves for two to three hours off Lands Ends
Quote:
the cost of taking part would be very heavy indeed.
Quote:
The trouble is VeryTricky there is only you who is interested at this point in time which is a shame and quite a surprise to me.
To be honest your not really selling it very well are you!!!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #6

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Round Britain race would be fantastic- I'm sure I have a customer who would send a boat over for it.

But really don't know how many teams you would get. In some ways it is easier now because engines have become more reliable - but it's always going to be big money.

Thinking of which has there ever been a time in racing with so few 'money people' in the sport!
Old 24-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Well, the Poole-Cherbourg-Poole race would be a start that's for sure. The Royal Motor Yacht Club at Poole has hosted that sort of event before but mostly on a timed trial situation. DGS has the record at the moment of 1hr 06 mins and a few seconds and that was back in the mid 1990's,
MMmnn. It was '96, but we (Ian Cutler and I) won the Salterns trophy for the fastest sports boat with 1hr 6 mins (should'a been quicker, but a Roca speed rail fell off on one side, messing things up a little) We were 3rd overall. reckon we'd have done it in under the hour had the rail stayed on. It made the boat list horribly, nessesatating the use of bags of port trim tab to keep it level, which scrubbed a load of speed off. We only averaged 64 mph, where as is should'a averaged over 70.

DGS was in the twin Volvo DPX Velocity 32 'The Poker Run' which did it in, I think,, 58 mins.

Mark Pascoe was outright winner in 52 mins in the Fabio Buzzi rib 'Techno 40' at an average of 82mph.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
The Doc

I gotta report of that race at home in an ole mag that a mate gave me.

seems the likes of the vid capture of the '84 round britain start will not be seen again.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #9

Wessing thigs?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
The Doc

?
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #11

He's edited it.

Nessesatating - Loch Ness monster?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Thinking of which has there ever been a time in racing with so few 'money people' in the sport!
I think perhaps 'moneyed people ' are tired of being ripped off? Not by you Adam - let me make clear - But there are a load of opperators fleecing anyone they think has money.

If you get burned a few times you bugger off and do something else.

Having said that - one of the most fun things I did in boating was the Deauville Rally last year. I really enjoyed that whole trip. They are planning a London - Deauville - Calais - Poole. That should be fun - but its not a race. I would really like a race!
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #13

Not trying to sell nutting "Johnny Boat Dude" just interested in everyone's opinion.

Tell us more about the race Jon. I'm sure DGS has a certificate showing his total time which i will try to steal off him. How many boats took part and how many got back. What was the sea state and was there an evening "get together" over there and did they have support boats all the way across. Did you cruise back in convoy or did you race back? Sorry so many questions but it's interesting history.

I did the Martell run to Cherbourgh in Commanche in 1986 and the French filled me half up with water as well as with petrol so the run back was interesting.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #14

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
I made the boat list horribly, nessesatating the use of bags of port trim tab to keep it level
Not taking the mick at all! but is that due to you being a heavy mofo or the way you drove the boat?
Old 25-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
..... the French filled me half up with water as well as with petrol so the run back was interesting....
Oh, the French and their wacky sense of humour....
Old 25-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by MrRob
Not taking the mick at all! but is that due to you being a heavy mofo or the way you drove the boat?
Old 25-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by MrRob
Just a wee typographical error on my part, should have read 'It' rather than 'I' refering to the loss of the Roca (ocke mannerfelt) speed rail (one of four fitted) meaning the st/bd side had twice the lift of the port side, making the boat list at speed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jono
Shut it Casanova!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 25-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #18
numbskull

Quote:
Tell us more about the race Jon. I'm sure DGS has a certificate showing his total time which i will try to steal off him. How many boats took part and how many got back. What was the sea state and was there an evening "get together" over there and did they have support boats all the way across. Did you cruise back in convoy or did you race back? Sorry so many questions but it's interesting history.
When I get home tonight, I'll see if I can dig out the certificate (and trophy) and post a pic or two.

About fifteen boats I think, would need to check up the Motor Boat & Yachting article to be sure.

Sea state was very favourable, a sweep boat followed up the rear (oohh eer).

Ian and I arrived, re-fuelled, had lunch, and set off straight back on our own. the rest of the crowd stayed for an evening prizegiving and got slaughtered, especially Mark Pascoe!

The others ran back the next day, in far less favourable conditions I think.

We were very dissapointed about the speed rail thing, as we really should have been able to average well over 70 in those conditions (and in a straight line).

The event was sponsored by Cetrek, and the then boss Geoff Ward, who was on the commitee/start boat.

A great event!....but not a race, it was a timed event.

A lasting memory for me (which requires poking a bit of fun at someone) Is being in the Poole Pottery restaraunt for the morning briefing, around two hours before the start, and seeing DGS, Tony Dowley, etc (Velocity crew) in the restaraunt, wearing their racing life jackets (not particularly comfortable). I remember commenting to Tony, that he was unlikely to drown in Poole Pottery's canteen, and thinking how much funnier it would have been if they'd had their helmets on too!

They really did look a load of chumps with all their gear on, indoors, for no apparent reason.

They were the days!

Old 25-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #19

Boat make: Ring 25 Sportscruiser
Engines: Mercruiser 496 HO
Cruising area: Solent

I remember the event now, I went across in a spectator boat in advance of the race boats.

CB1 was there and set quite a good time I think, but he's keeping quiet cos he was in a boat with toobs !!
GrahamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #20
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by GrahamF
CB1 was there and set quite a good time I think, but he's keeping quiet cos he was in a boat with toobs !!
.....behind us! ...even with a rail missing!...sorry Chris.