Boatmad.com

Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

rya newsletter

got mine today,lots of info as normal,but watch what you say on here because they are watching you

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

What did it say then?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #3

website misuse-word of warning- there are many competitors forums on the web and used wisely,they are a good place to air new ideas and views.there have however been complaints made to this office about the content of some of these "chat rooms",to the point where it was requested that the rya legal depertment make a ruling. please be advised that if you are using the web your comments are in the "public domain",any defamatory remarks or statements could well fall under the laws of libel (the written word),(slander being the spoken word).it may only be a short while before anyone allededly maligned may take legal action against those who have maligned them. so please take this as a warning to check your facts before committing to print,otherwise it could prove a very costly legal exercise.also bear in mind that this may also be viewed by the rya as "bringing the sport into disrepute".we are not asking for cesorship ,but merely request that you write and conserve with a bit more caution............................ words of the rya not mine
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

I'm no expert but from my understanding the "Judge" makes a Ruling not a legal department.
While on that topic could the legal department translate this

RYA Web Site
"Event Licence use 2008 - still confined to 2 per person per season, the price of which can be removed from the licence fee when applying for a full licence from the RYA to compete in national racing.

De-restriction for ELs 2008 - this relates to those competitors who only participate in established basic races, eg RMYC Club Classic Series, AYC Shakedown, UKOBA and ORDA basic races (attached to other national/international events), These racers may have multiple Event Licences for 2008. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ESTABLISHED NATIONAL EVENTS where a full licence is required, only pre-existing basic events.

Please note that the Basic Restricted full licence was scrapped for 2007, the above ORC decision negating its use."

So you are restricted to 2 Event licences but if a basic was held at the above you could do the 3 RMYC, 1 AYC, & plus anything ORDA do say 3 =7 (UKOBA dont count coz thats Honda) but the ORC Scrapped it but then negated it's use

Sorted got it now !!!!!

Edit: this could be a good Thread

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #5

what happened to all the basic races? this year there is 3.brass monkey,poole cancer research,and round the island end of season(very trickys i guess). so that means no club classic at poole this year (was a 3 race series)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

I would like to express my opinion but.... Censored

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
link please

Carl, can you put a link up i.e. (RYA) re that wording?
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #8

its just from there news letter sent out in the post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
I don't do mornings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
what happened to all the basic races? this year there is 3.brass monkey,poole cancer research,and round the island end of season(very trickys i guess). so that means no club classic at poole this year (was a 3 race series)
Brass Monkey and Cancer Research (now Cancer Charities) are the 2 heats in the RMYC Club Classic series. RM's September race was cancelled due to lack of entries in 2006/2007 - so scrapped for 2008.
D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

August 24th - Minehead.

The V24 Powerboat Club should ( subject to confirmation SUNDAY ) be putting on an event for BASIC boats.

This would be a short trip along the beaches at minehead, through the 'marker poles' and accross the channel to Bary Docks. Then around the racing bouy at Bary docks, returning to the 'marker poles' at Minehead, along the beachfront to the finish.

The records will be calculated for each individual boat doing the run from the 'marker poles' to the race bouy at Bary and returning. It is approximately 30 miles or 15 miles each way plus the few miles 'messing between the cans' at Minehead.

Each boat will get an official RYA certificate of performance for their record leg, and there will be the awarding of trophies for the race itself.

I think this particular event is a good one, as it mixes a bit of the close inshore round the cand malarkie with a good old fashioned long distance leg accross the channel and back.

This event and the RTI event on the 15 November will both have 'rough weather' alternates. The RTI will have a 'round the cans' in the western solent, using the same start and finish line that the RTI would have used, so the decision to swap to rough weather course can be taken up to muster! ( learning from previous experiances! )
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #11

Interests: Water Ski Racing, Basic Racing
Boat name: Bad Boy 717, Hotshot 777
Boat make: Phantom 21, Phantom 21
Engines: JSRE Merc 2.5 EFIss 280hp, Merc 2.5 x 2
Cruising area: Weymouth, Weston and rest of UK

any money back from southampton event Marc?
Bad Boy 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #12

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

v24 club

what happened to the largs event that you calendared for march at the clubs and classes meeting
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Boy 717 View Post
any money back from southampton event Marc?
This could be quite an apt question, given that thread is about the RYA.

I think I'm right in saying that Marc ran that event without any profit built in, and the majority of the costs of entry went to the RYA. Maybe then, you and the other drivers who didn't actually get a race on the day due to weather (the decision made ultimately by a senior RYA official) should campaign for the RYA to return the licence and other event fees.

What I'm saying is, I don't think it's Marc who has 'kept' your money.

Maybe the RYA would like to comment, one way or another?

I wish you well.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

Given the comments I've read in the RYA news letter, if Jon is correct in his belief, as an outsider to racing but as an interested observer, that's seems a reasonable approach.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #15

thanks Jon, as ski racer who delves into power boat racing world a couple of times a year, I am unaware fully of how it works with fees, refunds etc. No implication or any thought of Mr Lamont holding on to anything
Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
Large member

Actually, due to some 'delays with paperwork', I have not actually gotten my hands on the entry fees yet. They are still 'in transit'!

The entry fees were broken up into two sections: One to pay for the crane which launched the boats, and the second to go towards the 'thing' we were raising the money for, which in 2007 was Ben Ridd's physio work. The RYA 'calender fee' (which was £360 ) and officials fees were paid by me personally, and not out of the race entry fee.

As Driver Dry Berthing paid 100% of their crane fee to the same 'good cause' that the V24 Club paid their portion of the fees to, we ( V24 Club, Drivers Dry Berthing, Competitors & Safety crew (100% of the safety crew declined diesel costs and travel money!! ) raised over £800 for Ben. ( Ben has been given the money, I will wait a while before I get hold of the entry fees thenselves, and balance my personal books... )

According to 'the way things work' - aparently - If the event had been cancelled we could have obtained a refund ( I was told ) but as the boats went out to muster, the event had 'started' and that was it, fees due. I dont know - but that was how it was explained to me.

If any entrant is not happy about the event not running, and would like to get their entrants fee refunded, then please PM me privately, and I will sort it out with the entrant privately.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the RYA day licence money, as that went directly to the RYA. I did petition John Puddyfoot to refunt these licence fees, but he said he could not set the precident and declined to do so. But I did ask.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Large member

Just a short note on the event, and costs....

The RYA fee is only a small part of the costs of an event. In this case it was £360. In most events, a crane has to be hired at a cost IRO £800 for the day. For us, Drivers Dry Berthing 'charged' only £25 per boat for the crane, and donated all of that money as well. Some ( most? ) RYA officials claim their fee or their travelling costs, or both. Which is sortof reasonable actually. They have to give up a day of their time and it costs them actual money to go to the event, so they should get their out of pocket costs refunded IMO. Half of this events officials did it for free which was good, and the others climed very reasonable costs, which I was happy to pay for.

Some potential officials ( who we did not 'employ' ) were simply taking the piss, with requests for multiple hotel rooms, and travel costs which were outlandish, so some RYA officials are not doing anything good for the sport, and hopefully they simply go away.

The final 'BIG THING' - and it really is a very big thing - is the cost of the safety crews. You have to have a paramedic on the water, which costs £180 a day. You have to have a minimum number of safety boats, who require transport costs reimbursed, hotel rooms, their fuel costs paid. This is sort ot reasonable - you cant ask guys to come up from the deep far west of west, with his rib and crew, burn up cash in diesel, looking after the event participants and go back home several hundred pounds out of pocket! It is reasonable to pay these guys reasonable costs. Again, like the RYA officials, there are a few 'safety crew' who really just take the piss, and thankfully, I did not need their help.

So in an 'ordinary' event, you are looking at the following costs:

RYA fee : £360
Crane : £800
Officials : £600
Safety : £1200
Notice to mariners/port authority fee etc : £120
Foods : £200 ( to feed the officials and safety crew )

Cost to run event: £ 3280

So when the National event costs £250 per boat, remember it takes 13 boats to break even! And most events in 2007 did not hit that mark!

The RTI event basic breakdown:

RYA fee : £360
Crane : NIL - Thanks Drivers Dry Berthing
Officials : £150 - Thanks to their personal effort!
Safety : £NIL - Yes - NIL - the guys came from Devon, Wales and London and all the safety and committee boat work was FREE due entirely to these guys good will. They were each personally out of pocket, but did the work anyway, and no real supprise, I think all the safety and committee boats are BoatMad members!
Notice to mariners/port authority fee etc : £75 - Discounted - thank you QHM
Foods: £120
Returning Officials from IOW by ferry: £75

Total race organising costs: £780
Total race fees from competitors: 735

Total accounting loss: £45.

This event only made a £45 loss 'on the books' due to the ferrbies given by safety and this was probably only due to the fact it was a 'good cause' event. Why I say 'on the books' is that there was additional costs: about £300 in travell to arrange the thing, including three meetings with the harbourmasters, and about £100 in phone calls. And Drivers Dry Berthing put in a lot of 'stuff' for free, as did several others like JF who setup entertainment etc...

Offshore Powerboat Racing does not make money. It may make some money if an event is sponsored for big bucks by some corporations, but it isnt....
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #18

Thanks Marc,
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
what happened to the largs event that you calendared for march at the clubs and classes meeting
Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
It is definately a draft version.

The V24 Club AGM is Sunday, and the events we are organising will be confirmed individually only on Sunday!
It may not be possible to put on a National event when there are no V24's entering any National event.... The cost justification of putting on an event for 3c and OCR ( ie the loss of money incurred ) does not weigh up well against the clubs focus to push V24 racing and basic racing.

As posted previously....
Quote:
the events we are organising will be confirmed individually only on Sunday!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #20

Boat name: rinng peas

Quote:
I did petition John Puddyfoot to refunt these licence fees, but he said he could not set the precident and declined to do so.
i woz torkin.... sory hee woz torkin bollux. de presidence woz sett at torkey finuls 2006

garF

The gArfish is offline   Reply With Quote