Boatmad.com

Old 15-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #41

In the shed..

1990!, wow... i will upload some pics tomoz as its now int he workshop being " de-stickerd'" lol...

Just want a cheap XR2 or 90 yam for it now...hint hint...

dodgydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #42

Boat make: rib/cat/mono/tri
Cruising area: i DONT CRUISE anywhere

Send a message via AIM to PHANTOM EVOLUTION
not owned or raced ?????

a cheep one !

PHANTOM EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #43

No..

I said a cheap one...
dodgydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #44

Boat make: shakespeare hydracat
Engines: 6.2 mercruiser
Cruising area: weymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
i think i saw one of them on the way to portland bill the other day, chessel beach i think its called! said shakespeare 230 or somet on side. i saw steps and two hulls!
hi thats my boat you saw at chesil beach. it is a hydra cat powered by a mercruiser 6.2 v8 on a bravo 1 leg. just rebuilt in 2007 for this season. would love to find out more about these boats. can anyone help?
terry
ninabillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #45

Interests: Boats, Bikes.
Boat name: Juice
Boat make: Haines Signature 2100s
Engines: Mercury 225
Cruising area: Hawkesbury or the Harbour

Hi guys,

This may seem like a huge coincidence buuuutttttt,

I used to work for Francis Whitley @ Shakespeare International, Hartlebury, Worcs, Uk, oooh would have been '95/'96 - late '98 until I went on to manage my own business.
Prior to that I worked up there '87-'89 on and off and in between the two spells I kept an avid interest in what was happening, really interesting stuff, post 92 ish, I think when Francis bought Shakespeare. Lots of early techniques in infusion, vac bagging etc.. He employed a guy called Steve Davis as his GM (nice guy Steve), runs a company from the premises or used to called Nautiquipe (spelling may be incorrect) at the mo I think.

The two cats shown in the earlier shots were definately at the Shakespeare premises, and as 'Johno' (I'm wondering if the Johno is the John I may know) says were perched at the top of the yard next to the old railway station at Hartlebury on the Birmingham to Worcester line.
These were indeed Francis and Stuarts race boats.They sat there for years along witha Shakespeare 510??? race boat if I remember right.

The Hydracat development was complete when I got there and had already been shown at the Earls Court boat show in '93/'94, I'm not sure exactly on the year.
Myself along with a few others built the only 1 or 2 that ever got produced after the original. Deck and hull moulds got parts manufacured, stringers, bulkheads and bearers all built into the hull and then the deck mould with part inside was inverted and located onto hull mould with opposite part inside, jointed and then released.
The finishing joint was then dressed and the boat fitted out.
I remember the first one out which went to the show had a heavy flake metallic blue finish on the deck which would be the one that was used for all the promotions. The Hydracat just didn't sell wether it was down to price, lack of interest or just the fact it wasn't pushed it's not my place to say but at the time it looked fantastic.
I think prior to this or around the same time came the 960 with twin magnums, what a beast, we even produced one in signal red!! Big heavy monster but again sales weren't there.
The 650 was launched at a similar time and was in my opinion Shakespeares 'best' boat, beautiful lines and an excellent finish and build quality.
Victory design 830, inhouse start to finish, fantastic craft, great interior, luxury witha price to match.
Then the cheeky 600, now that was a looker, fantastic build, best quality fittings and the greatest attention to detail.
I have heaps of photos and brochures to do with Shakespeare over here with me in Aus, wherever I have worked over the years I've always enjoyed being interested and enthusiastic about the business and obviously collect history as I go. At the time I would have been in my early to mid twenties, young fiesty and carefree.
To work for a family business owned by the Whitleys was soooo memorable, Francis was the nicest man you could ever want to meet, he would have as much appreciation for the guy that swept the floor as he would for his GM and nothing was to much trouble for him. He would even creep into the factory when you weren't looking and 'muck in'. Very very nice fellow.
I have always said as I've met new people,that the only job I've felt upset moving onwards and upwards from was that one, but we all have to move on.
For that experience I thank the Shakespeare business and Francis of that time.
I would love to here what happened after 2003 when I came out to Aus, the last I heard they were doing a lot of contract work under license for RIB manufacturers. I do hope the name continues.
Please pass messages on wishing well,

Cheers,

Damon
Damon2100S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #46
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

That's a nice tribute to Francis, who is indeed, one of the nicest fellas you could ever hope to meet.

He's done a couple of Poker runs with us, loves the thrill still, and is in fact building a Race Version of the 960 for next years Round Britain event.

he drops in on this site from time to time, so will no doubt see your post.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote