Boatmad.com

Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #21
Jon

Interests: Being Rude.
Cruising area: Kings Road

Cheers.

However, you said it was grey! The one in Tony's Garage is Green!

Make sure you leave your wallet at home if your going to see TD.

Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #22
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

The Maelstrom Bimini is green, or at least it was.
And to confuse a little more, the Maelstrom Bimini wasn't from Maelstrom, it was from a 21

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #23
Jon

Bloody "Honkentosh"!

Ive already seen the green one and that aint off no bloody Formula!

Whats the score ya Cuzens Cuzen?

What are you selling? Do you own it? And how much are you looking for?

Bloody Marine industry. . . . . .

I took a 4 month old Delco marine battery back to the Chandlers today, plonked it on the counter and said " Could you replace this for me please, ive had it on charge for the last 48 hours and its Fecked".

"Have you had your Alternator checked out mate?" said the pirate behind the counter.

"No, i reply. Why would i check out my alternator when i was trying to charge the battery with a mains charger?"

"Oh, i better go and see the boss"

5 minutes later . . . .

"Well, if you leave it with us we will send it off to Delco to have it checked. Should be about a week!"

"What, your avin a larff". I says. "If id bought this battery for half the price at halfords, they would just replace it there and then. What kind of customer satisfaction is that"?

With that the Boss who is female arrives hastily on the scene claiming that they are being reasonable and that they always deal with things like this in this manor.

To which i replied that "Just because you always deal with things like this does not make it right".

The boss replied by suggesting that in future i buy my batteries elsewhere!!!!!!

I replied to this by stating that this would indeed be my intention and that their business would not see another nickel of my hard earned dosh.

The upshot is that i have left them my battery to do with what they want.

Then i started counting up the cost to me of their piss poor service and attitude:

£2.50 per day electricity charge at the marina.
£75.00 for a ****ed battery.
Wasted time in taking time off work to do some work on the boat that i couldnt do because i had a ****ed battery.
Wasted costs in fuel for abortive trips down to the Marina.

Total cost to me for dealing with a shit outfit: Approx: £500.00.

And they wondered why i was curt when dealing with them.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #24

Interests: boats
Boat name: bambino
Boat make: extreme 24 sr8
Engines: 496 ho / 2.5 offshore
Cruising area: solent poole

the bimini cover is green ime sure the top is grey and it is for sale everything is for sale and i did say its ment for an extreme but the mountings are formula screen mount type if its wide enuf itle be cheap . also my old chav if it wernt mine i definatly wood not b ofering it to ya
ya cuzuns cuzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #25

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

"From the Horses mouth"

The Bimini is a stainless frame with a grey acrylic cover trimmed in dark green, (very tasteful)

It was made for me in 1996 for an Extreme 21 that I exhibited at the Southampton Boat Show.

The width of it is 6 foot, as it fits a 7'2" beam extreme, and it's only claim to fame is that it stays put at 55+mph, but it don't keep the rain off, and doesn't really keep the sun off either.

When it's up it stands about 3 foot above the mounting points, and is around 5 foot in length, so it's probably a bit small for a full size boat!

I ain't got a clue who owns it now, and I don't really care, all I know is that I only had the one made, so it wasn't a popular extra!
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #26
Jon

Thanks for clearing that up Tony.

It will be no good for me then.

I guess ill have to start looking across the pond again.

Cheers anyway Ya Cuzens Cuzen.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #27
Jon

This is the Formula custom set up im after, Fugly, but bloody useful for weekends away in British weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	campertop.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2916  
Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #28
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

nice skeg!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #29

Looks like mine.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #30

Stipped Bare!

Hi there, I looked t this boat yesterday as i am very interested in buying, however the only thing that is putting me off is the antifoul. Was it on when you owned it? How long did you have it in the water for? It's also got quite a large chunk out of the skeg. Di you know anything about how this happened?

Hope you can help.
Bindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #31

Hi Bindie,

Dont worry about the antifoul i stripped it all off about three years ago, which wasnt to difficult as the gelcoat had never been keyed properly. Im amazed the antifoul stayed on!! You could easily strip the antifoul and polish the hull if thats what you would prefer. Hull was in excellent condition beneath the antifoul.

The skeg was damaged when i bought the boat. The previous owner had hit an underwater obstacle damaging the prop, skeg and sterndrive. The boat was awaiting the insurance settlement just as i was buying it. The mid section of the sterndrive was the only thing replaced by the insurance company and it was a new unit.

The boat was sold new on Lake Windermere and spent its life cosseted by its first owner for approx 12 years before passing into the ownership of the guy who damaged the drive. I then bought it down to the South Coast where it spent 7 months of the year in brackish water and the other 5 months drying out. I was sorry to see it go and only sold it due to working overseas, if i wasn't now in the market for something bigger i would snap it up again. She had impeccable manners in all seas and would cruise at about 35mph at 3000 rpm's and top out at 54mph at 4800 rpm's. She is a very practical sports boat that manages to please the ladies with the sunlounger and sink whilst providing plenty of thrills for the driver. Excellent wind protection by the screen which also provides great visibility.

If i can be of any further assistance, just let me know.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #32

Stipped.

Thanks for the prompt responce. Before you re aplied antifoul, did you key and prime the hull? It would certaily be my intension to strip it all off to cut and polish etc. but that does depend on how well the antifoul has been applied. If it has been put on properly it will be hard to get off.
I will ask James how much prep. work he went in to before he re applied this year.

You mention the middle part of the leg has been replaced, does the damage to the skeg affect any part of the performance in your view?

One other question,, has it always been called "Sexy Beast"

Sorry to lumber you with so many questions, it's in my nature to be a little over cautiouse.
Old 26-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #33

When i stripped the antifoul off, i just cleaned the hull of stains, did a couple of very small gelcoat repairs to chips on the sprayrails and then applied two coats of primer and three coats of antifoul. I did not do any additional keying to the gelcoat (couldnt bring myself to do such a thing) and the undercoats and top coats were all applied by roller. Should all come off with a special stripper, right back to bare hull.

The damage to the skeg doesnt make any noticeable difference to handling in my opinion, its more of a cosmetic thing. I had intended to have it repaired by either having it welded back up and then ground and finished or alternatively you can buy the whole skeg and have the old one cut off and the new one welded on. This latter option is a bit drastic in my opinion.

I renamed the boat "Sexy Beast" when i bought it. Prior to that it was called "Curly 3". I think the guy i bought it off named it that.

There is a member on this forum who new the guy who had it before me. I cant remember his name but he has a picture of the boat on windermere with four Elvis Pressely's on board, collars an all!

The boat as i bought her from Windermere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2764 copy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	12458  
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #34

Thank you very much for all the info. and picture. I will have a chat with the boat yard I use and see if they are happy to take on the resteration of the hull. They are going down to look at it for me next week sothey can see for themselfs. Looking at your photo I guess that she spent most of her time in the water while in the lakes.