Boatmad.com

Old 20-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #281

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Your mate,Mr,Corbett is here on friday,ask him to borrow the two cleavers soon as he gets off the ferry,might as well try the 4 bladers too,see if they make any difference

Old 20-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #282

Forgot to add,all four props are standard shaft.Bet you are like a dog with two diddleydoes now,well in,you deserve it,looks a nice job.

Old 20-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #283

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Sweet, will do. What pitch/diameter are they? Also getting a loverly set of new cleavers to try from John Guille.

She got sabotaged last night. I'd gone down and checked over every single important nut and bolt yesterday so she was ready for the races. Today i put her in the water, started up the passanger engine and the powerhead was wobbling around with water coming out from the base.
Turns out someone had removed the lower skirt, loosened every powerhead bolt off to one turn from coming out, and then put the skirt back on to cover it. Had i not needed to remove the cowlings to start them (currently no choke) then i wouldn't have found this. Doubtless i would then have lost a powerhead at speed, with nasty results.
You could say i was a touch p1ssed off!

Anyhoo, it's all sorted now, finally getting back out again tomorrow to watch the race.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #284

Cleavers 25,4 bladers 20.
Old 21-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #285

Boat make: Mariah
Engines: volvo 4.3
Cruising area: hatchet pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
She got sabotaged last night. I'd gone down and checked over every single important nut and bolt yesterday so she was ready for the races. Today i put her in the water, started up the passanger engine and the powerhead was wobbling around with water coming out from the base.
Turns out someone had removed the lower skirt, loosened every powerhead bolt off to one turn from coming out, and then put the skirt back on to cover it. Had i not needed to remove the cowlings to start them (currently no choke) then i wouldn't have found this. Doubtless i would then have lost a powerhead at speed, with nasty results.
You could say i was a touch p1ssed off!

James
Are you serious!
P1ssed off..... i'd be going too war if someone had done something like that to me!!!!!
Old 21-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #286
Silence!!!... I kill you

Interests: Powerboat racing, Travel
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Turns out someone had removed the lower skirt, loosened every powerhead bolt off to one turn from coming out, and then put the skirt back on to cover it.
James
You sure you didn't just use the old nylocks?
Old 22-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #287

There are no nylocks, it's bolts that go up into the p/head, not like the mercs. And I'm very sure they didn't just 'come loose' seeing as i'd tightened and checked them all 12 hours beforehand, and not used the boat since!

Anyhoo, went to use her again yesterday but one of my carbs has decided to flood now. Gotta take that off for a clean up one of these evenings and she should be ready for the weekend

She's getting there, got a few pics somewhere i need to upload too.

Cheers, James

Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #288

Cruising area: southcoast

hospitality inns

just wondering what happend to your cat after all the work you did
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #289

Interests: Powerboat racing
Boat name: Vodkatini,Cap Camarat,Easy RiderSuper Rider & Hirrondelle
Boat make: Phantom 21,Jeaneau 925 Avenger19.Lorne Campbell Slipstream Tremlett 21.Tigershark 21
Engines: Volvo 5 litre,Merc 115 Tower,Twin 250 Suzukis and 145 Mercruiser LX
Cruising area: Channel Islands and French coast

Its still in the Island looking good and about to make a sensational attempt at winning one of the most coveted awards of all-
Namely the 2011 Guernsey offshore series championship
Old 14-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #290

Message from Steve Salmon to "Larby"

Quote:
The electric rigging in this boat is the only part which can make the transom job look professional!

Every wire (except for 2) was red 1.5mm. It was run through household conduit down each side of the boat, the conduit had holes made in it with a pair of pliers, giving a nice jagged sharp edge - perfect

All of these wires went to a lovely household junction box and on to the battery via... yep, 1.5mm red wire again!

Behind the gauges was a complete birds nest of wires, i got the motor's loom out of the middle and then cut the rest out. I removed all the gauges and put em to one side.

Also found the salmon controller for the bow tank while i was there... found out why it wasn't moving too (apart from all the silicone blocking the pickup)... the cable was snapped. Oh joy.
Larby, I've just come across this thread. This is not one of my controls and you have still not responded to my request to buy one of yours.
I think maybe you should check your facts before you act.
I have been manufacturing controls since Chris Lewis asked me if I could help with the problems of gearboxes letting go on XR2's in the late eighties. That is the reason for the slots in the side plates. The fact that they are also pretty handy for the pick up, hold and dump in the water pick ups was just a bonus. The control in your picture works by spring loaded ball bearings dropping into detents on the inside of the plates. This was not enough to stop the shifters jumping out of gear, hence the side slots & positive lock in mine.
I used to work next door to Geoff Purves when he Paul Hicks and Joe built the Hospitality Inns boats and my controls are my take on what was available then, with my tweaks based on requests from powerboat racers.
I would welcome anyone who has used any of my controls to place their comments on this forum, regarding how they stand the test of time.
I only offer controls where the aluminium is hard anodised and then powder coated and the stainless is mirror polished,
The handle knobs are polished and black anodised.
I used to offer a range of colours (red, blue green purple etc)but found that UV caused them to fade. Black holds up the best.
I could also make them in stainless, carbon, titanium, wood, paper, jelly etc but this would be just a little bit silly.
I have no problem with anyone wanting to make their own control boxes but it is a shame that you seem to be trying to establish a name for yourself at other peoples expense.
Please respond.
Steve Salmon
www.candbcomposites.com
Steve Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #291

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry you are upset by our take on a control lever. I can assure you it was never my intention to copy your control, I have a healthy dislike for people who 'splash' boats and feel that just copying your control part for part would be just the same.
What I have done is what I feel you did all those years ago. I have nothing but the upmost respect and admiration for you and your products, that is another reason why I would not want to just copy your work.
To me, what we have done is develop a concept. You led the way in developing a simple, lightweight contol box in the same way as years ago someone led the way in creating powerboats and catamarans as we know them. Since then, various other people have developed other fast monos and cats very similar to the original concept, but importantly they were all designed from scratch from that basic, proven concept.
Look at rings, phantoms, revengers like mine etc etc. They all look very similar, especially to the untrained eye, but in reality the details make them very different. Our control may look like yours, but it is in every detail different to yours. The only similarity is the length of the arc, as this is determined by the travel required.
I decided to develop the control after using several of your fine controls myself (even if the one you mentioned happened not to be one), from various stages of their development. I was very impressed though felt I would change a few things if I made them myself. I had spoken to various people who had various thoughts about them and many who felt your products were just too hard to get hold of/too much of a wait and there was room on the market for another control. It seemed to me that you had moved on to bigger things.
Much like you did all those years ago, I acted on their requests and developed a control. It would have been very easy to scan all your parts into the mill and make a control that we knew would just be an exact copy. We didn't do this, we drew it all from scratch and yes, we have a few little glitches we've had to develop. The originals were left as bare ally (other than Frank's stainless ones) as they were test/development pieces. Future controls will be shipped to be anodized, though we will continue to offer them in bare ally for those who wish to finish them themselves, or just want a control as cheap as possible.
For what it's worth, a local guy enquired about our controls while we were designing them. I suggested that if he wanted an absolutely top of the line product thats guarenteed to work from the word go, he bought one of yours. That's exactly what he did.

I really don't want to upset anyone, least of all you. I absolutely live for powerboating and I work in a CNC machine shop so want to do anything I can to help the sport move forward. You have your established customer base and I am very sure there are many people around the world who would never use anything but one of your controls. There are probably others who would like to have the choice.

If you would like to chat to me further about it, please feel free to ring me on 07781 122 363, email me at larbys@live.co.uk, or discuss it on the controls thread I have in general discussion if you want it to stay public. I really hope we can come to an understanding and get on well. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your earlier post on the other thread but didn't see it as a serious response.

Hope that all makes sense...

Cheers, James

Old 17-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #292

From Steve Salmon

Quote:
The electric rigging in this boat is the only part which can make the transom job look professional!

Every wire (except for 2) was red 1.5mm. It was run through household conduit down each side of the boat, the conduit had holes made in it with a pair of pliers, giving a nice jagged sharp edge - perfect

All of these wires went to a lovely household junction box and on to the battery via... yep, 1.5mm red wire again!

Behind the gauges was a complete birds nest of wires, i got the motor's loom out of the middle and then cut the rest out. I removed all the gauges and put em to one side.

Also found the salmon controller for the bow tank while i was there... found out why it wasn't moving too (apart from all the silicone blocking the pickup)... the cable was snapped. Oh joy.
Larby. Ref: page 5 of this thread. Please understand that I do not have a problem with anyone wanting to make controls or anything else, I think that is good for the sport and good for the consumer.
But if you made boats and slagged off other boat manufacturers by showing photos of old boats that weren't even theirs, I think you would be facing a bit more than a chat on Boatmad using nicknames. (The mark of a man etc)
From what I can see your control is very similar to mine, that is why I asked you to send me one, so I can reasure myself before considering my options.
Regards, Steve Salmon
Steve Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #293

Steve, I wasn't 'slagging off' your controller in the slightest, I was stating that I couldn't move it because the water pickup was blocked with silicone and the 33c cable was snapped, nothing to do with the control.

If you would genuinely like to buy one of the controls so you can have a good look over it and see the differences please feel free to email me and I will sort that out.
Where abouts are you in the UK? I'm coming over soon to collect various things so could pop in with one to save you the hassle and have a chat through with you if you like?

Cheers, James