Boatmad.com

Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #41

Yeh, it's getting there. Boat could be ready for Brass Monkey, but don't think I'll have had time to do any testing - or get a dunk test - or get a nav.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #42

Boat make: Whats in stock
Engines: Big
Cruising area: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Who else from here is going Friday.
I,m going Friday, give me a ring when your there Barry, beer will be essential.

Bus Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Who else from here is going Friday.
I'll be there
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #44

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Martin,
I speak on a regular basis to a guy that used to race that boat, back in the 70's it cost £150,000 per annum
Kinel I knew it was expensive but that was some big wedge of cash back then, I used to think from the comfort of a small occasionally raced 3C boat, I wonder how much cash it costs to race Double two shirts and that was in the 80's ... as like many on this forum I am an avid offshore fan and am always mega thankful of the teams that do turn out to race and give the spectators a great water born showespecially after you hear of the costs of getting these boats race ready like the big money Team Bandit and Cinzano spent and no doubt many others, hopefully Cinzano now sold to a German team will be enthusiastically raced in the UK held events
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #45

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Martin, I speak on a regular basis to a guy that used to race that boat, back in the 70's it cost £150,000 per annum

Great project - but be real.

To run a season with a group A rally car can easily cost in excess of £100,000 I have a group A Car and It doesn’t cost me anything near that.... so your comparison is untenable as one can spend whatever ones finances allow but it isn’t always the big spenders that win the day... Christ only knows (and J.F) what the Swipes boat cost but (and I stand to be corrected) it could go no faster than circa 65 Mph, D2S was achieving speeds in the Low 80's 30 odd years ago with old technology and weighing in at over 6 tonnes

So I agree it is a great project - and John, Im always real
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #46

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Hey Martin your thread on OSO has all gone a bit quite since you said you were re-fitting petrols back in the old beast, think they were hoping to hear of a diesel project ... still looking forward to seeing said beasty tackle the opposition with it's petrol power and at least it will sound good
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Hey Martin your thread on OSO has all gone a bit quite since you said you were re-fitting petrols back in the old beast, think they were hoping to hear of a diesel project ... still looking forward to seeing said beasty tackle the opposition with it's petrol power and at least it will sound good
Those Yanks - So Yesterday..... Who Runs Deisels these days Even Swipes (according to the roomer mongering grape vine) is going to be re-carbonated Still she should sound good when we overtake her
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #48

Interests: Winding up the Crappo`s and keeping them on their toes
Boat name: Caw Blimey
Boat make: 7.5 mtr Prosport RIB
Engines: 250 Suzuki four stroke
Cruising area: Channel Islands,coast of france

BoatShow

Hi Barry
I will be there Friday Perhaps we can meet up in the Guiness bar for a drop of the Black stuff
caw blimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #49
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
Even Swipes (according to the roomer mongering grape vine) is going to be re-carbonated
Wrong, ........again.

There's a pattern forming.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #50

Missing Diesels

When Peter Moore purchased D2S from Fiddy via Tony Hamilton, two diesels were included in the price, one in bits, the other complete but required work. After paying his money, Fiddy vanished and Peter was left chasing his arse. He is still waiting for two Sabre diesels. Regardless whether the engines were knackered, he was shafted.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #51
numbskull

David, C'mon, who runs diesels these days?? he was done a favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatric View Post
When Peter Moore purchased D2S from Fiddy via Tony Hamilton, two diesels were included in the price, one in bits, the other complete but required work. After paying his money, Fiddy vanished and Peter was left chasing his arse. He is still waiting for two Sabre diesels. Regardless whether the engines were knackered, he was shafted.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #52

I can't argue with that Jon, but let's assume Peter got the diesels, he could have flogged them as anchors if he'd wanted to. You've brought a few boats in your time and when the seller says the boat has engines, you assume it has, regardless whether they are diesel, petrol or steam. Peter Moore was shafted and I feel slightly guilty cos I persuaded him to buy the boat.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw blimey View Post
Hi Barry
I will be there Friday Perhaps we can meet up in the Guiness bar for a drop of the Black stuff
I guess we should be there by 12:30 straight after the announcement
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #54
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatric View Post
I can't argue with that Jon, but let's assume Peter got the diesels, he could have flogged them as anchors if he'd wanted to. You've brought a few boats in your time and when the seller says the boat has engines, you assume it has, regardless whether they are diesel, petrol or steam.
You're preaching to the converted here.

I don't think Tony Fiddy ever owned it in the 'real' sense. I think he brokered a deal that got Tony Hamilton into the Bonito, and what he (TH) paid, actually bought both the Planatec & the Bonito from Robert Windmill. So TF never parted with any money, but owned the boat on paper.

Both boats went to the Island, and some work was done on the Planatec, this and the storage attracted a certain amount of debt to TH by the 'on paper' owner. I guess that when Peter Moore bought the boat, the lions share of the purchase price went to TH.

With respect to the Sabre engines, as I understand it, Tony Fiddy dragged his heels collecting them from the farm, and the farmer, wanting rid, and assuming they weren't wanted, sent them to the scrap yard.

Anyway, this is my take on it, but could be barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

I don't think Tony Fiddy ever owned it in the 'real' sense. I think he brokered a deal that got Tony Hamilton into the Bonito, and what he (TH) paid, actually bought both the Planatec & the Bonito from Robert Windmill. So TF never parted with any money, but owned the boat on paper.

Both boats went to the Island, and some work was done on the Planatec, this and the storage attracted a certain amount of debt to TH by the 'on paper' owner. I guess that when Peter Moore bought the boat, the lions share of the purchase price went to TH.

With respect to the Sabre engines, as I understand it, Tony Fiddy dragged his heels collecting them from the farm, and the farmer, wanting rid, and assuming they weren't wanted, sent them to the scrap yard.

As far as Im aware you have the correct tree Jon
Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #56
numbskull

Martin, I won't have that kind of talk on this website.

My life, and just about anyone's who takes part in sports like ours, would be a f*cking lot richer if litigation, and the promotion of it, were banned, so on this site, it is. END OF.

Your post has been removed.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #57

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

I am going to put my head above the parapet here. TF asked me in very early 2007 if I wanted to see the old Double Two Shirts and if I did then to meet him on a Farm near Romsey which I duly did.

Sitting there in an open fronted barn and under cover was Double Two shirts (complete with drives) on her trailer and alongside Cossack (just love that boat) also on a trailer, two fantastic items of historic powerboat memorabilia, covered in filth and straw but still looking great. I took quite a lot of pics at the time.

I think I posted on here around then that I had seen these two great boats and I also posted pics of the engines, one on a pallet and one in bits because there was a discussion on Boatmad about whether they had single or twin Turbo’s and also loads of pics of the two boats in their heyday.

TF wanted to race the boat and was sure that the company he was working for (from Canada) was going to fund the restoration so both boats went across to Tony Hamilton “on a deal” with the intention that Double Two would be restored so that it could race in the RB08. After that it all went pear shaped as JF states. I do believe the complete engine was scrapped, well that’s the story anyway, damn shame if it was. Peter Moore should have sussed out the problem earlier and gone down to the farm and retrieved the engine before it disappeared, easier said than done I guess. I am sure he did know where it was because I had been talking to him at great length about his possible entry into the RB08. I even flew to Edinburgh to meet his sponsors who were interested in funding the RB08 but eventually they backed off on both projects, unfortunately for RB08, Peter Moore and Tony Hamilton and of course Double Two Shirts. Properly sorted it would, in retrospect and hind sight, have done extremely well in the RB08. If it had had the same reliability of Blue FPT but a little more speed then - who knows? What a shame.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #58

Thank you Mike
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #59

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

A bunch of us bumped into Fiddy at the Miami boat show last february, he reckoned he was there to purchase a new Cigarette for the Round Britain.

He reminds me of this well known fictional character....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...f_Walter_Mitty
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #60

He is pretty funny to watch, though I can't believe people still fall for all the stories

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote