Boatmad.com

Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #1

Boat name: Intrepid & Jaws
Boat make: R*b & Zapcat
Engines: 2x 150hp Yamaha HPDI + Tohatsu 50hp

Unfair boat yard.

Hi Guys,

My dealings with the dealer has just got worse.

Firstly a bit of background...

Last April, I introduced my uncle to the guy who runs the boat yard I keep my boat in (warsash marine), in order for him to store his boat there.

He arranged to keep his boat there, and set up a new contract with the boat yard on a 6monthly basis. Things turned sour this this arrangement 6 months later when prices quoted for some work, wasnt the price that was charged.. and also he wanted to move the boat away from the yard they want to charge him for a year.

Yesterday, I recieved a letter from Eric Robinson solictors, demanding a payment of about £3500 from me for the boat yard for storage from early 2006 - March 2007... The boat yard/dealer sold my old engines for me in early march, and we agreed for them to keep the money from the sale, to cover ALL outstanding debt.

I called the boat yard this morning, and tried talk to him, and he told me I still owe the money for storage..I said I was going to move my boat out of the yard today, and then he told me that I can't and he has locked it up, and wont release it until I have paid the money I owe... I reminded him of the deal with the old engines and his reply was "what engines?" and started swearing at me telling me how he has been ripped off...and then hung up on me

I then called back and said that I wanted to talk and he started telling me that "I don't want to talk about it! - Your family has screwed me over, and I am not going to be £2500 out of pocket, your family will pay one way or another" and after that he hungup again. I tried calling back and said that the deal with my uncle was a completely seperate contract and was nothing to do with me. But he just said again that he will get his money, one way or another.

I don't seem to be having much luck with this dealer, despite spending more than £20,000 with them in 2007 with the new engines, storage.. etc. I now have to hire a solictor to fight my case, which is going to leave me out of pocket. I am not happy to say the least..

I shall keep this thread updated with my progress.

But a word of warning... if you're thinking about storing your boat or buying a new Yamaha engine in Warsash... think twice!

Has anyone had similar dealings with boat yards? What did you do, and what was the outcome?

benc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
PJC

Interests: beer and boats
Boat make: Cougar
Cruising area: The Solent

Should have purchased Honda's

PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #3

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: hotshot
Boat make: cyclone 21
Engines: mercury 280
Cruising area: global

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Should have purchased Honda's
Hardley a usefull comment, its posts like this that deter open / sensible posts,
something it would seem you are incapable of.
The man is quite openly asking for assistance, not sarcasm.

benc you have my sympathy although sadly little else i am afraid, good luck and ignore the pricks!!
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

:)

I'll second that, sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you get something sorted
dodgydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #5

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

I know what I would do, I'd visit him with a couple of large friends and show him the error of his ways.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #6

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Sorry to hear this

As Roofer says that's exactly what i would do as well,
And i would do it rather promply before he gets any ideas about moving your boat to another yard or worse sells it as well, and says what boat.

£3500 for a years storage, Is that the going rate down South,
Up here you could store the QE2 for that.

gaZ
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

Interests: Northern poker runs,without the loosers
Boat name: Daze of thunder
Boat make: fastest recorded outboard phantom
Engines: which one
Cruising area: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
I know what I would do, I'd visit him with a couple of large friends and show him the error of his ways.
dont happen in my yard,no fecker pays storage,just get left with old cats that you cant give away.
steve h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

unfair

what old gems did you get left with
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #9

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve h View Post
dont happen in my yard,no fecker pays storage,just get left with old cats that you cant give away.

Got room for anymore engines ?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
PJC

Sorry to seem insensitive it wasn’t meant that way; I do feel for Benc as I know the Yamaha dealer in question and have had many issues with the little fecker myself, at times he is not an easy person to get on with.

I know it’s a pain but would suggest to Benc that he compiles a paper trail of e-mails, payments and any conversations regarding the transaction; then confront the person; he may find it easier to sort than he thinks.

If not then call in the boys!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #11

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve h View Post
Have you got some photos and prices of these cats,
Again if you want to give em away even better
gaZ
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Sorry to seem insensitive it wasn’t meant that way; I do feel for Benc as I know the Yamaha dealer in question and have had many issues with the little fecker myself, at times he is not an easy person to get on with.
Can't be as bad as those nice people at 5 Star Sailing.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
PJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Can't be as bad as those nice people at 5 Star Sailing.

Ben, That guy sold the company and left, new people are fine
Old 07-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

That had to be a relief.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #15

Some folks are just arseholes. If anybody else reading this has stuff stored at the yard or is considering buying something through this guy - this I guess should act as a warning. Especially as you're not the only one who's had bother with the bloke. Sounds like he's in the wrong business!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #16

In my experience most people ive come across in the marine industry are in the wrong business.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Hi Guys,

My dealings with the dealer has just got worse.

Firstly a bit of background...

Last April, I introduced my uncle to the guy who runs the boat yard I keep my boat in (warsash marine), in order for him to store his boat there.

He arranged to keep his boat there, and set up a new contract with the boat yard on a 6monthly basis. Things turned sour this this arrangement 6 months later when prices quoted for some work, wasnt the price that was charged.. and also he wanted to move the boat away from the yard they want to charge him for a year.

Yesterday, I recieved a letter from Eric Robinson solictors, demanding a payment of about £3500 from me for the boat yard for storage from early 2006 - March 2007... The boat yard/dealer sold my old engines for me in early march, and we agreed for them to keep the money from the sale, to cover ALL outstanding debt.

I called the boat yard this morning, and tried talk to him, and he told me I still owe the money for storage..I said I was going to move my boat out of the yard today, and then he told me that I can't and he has locked it up, and wont release it until I have paid the money I owe... I reminded him of the deal with the old engines and his reply was "what engines?" and started swearing at me telling me how he has been ripped off...and then hung up on me

I then called back and said that I wanted to talk and he started telling me that "I don't want to talk about it! - Your family has screwed me over, and I am not going to be £2500 out of pocket, your family will pay one way or another" and after that he hungup again. I tried calling back and said that the deal with my uncle was a completely seperate contract and was nothing to do with me. But he just said again that he will get his money, one way or another.

I don't seem to be having much luck with this dealer, despite spending more than £20,000 with them in 2007 with the new engines, storage.. etc. I now have to hire a solictor to fight my case, which is going to leave me out of pocket. I am not happy to say the least..

I shall keep this thread updated with my progress.

But a word of warning... if you're thinking about storing your boat or buying a new Yamaha engine in Warsash... think twice!

Has anyone had similar dealings with boat yards? What did you do, and what was the outcome?
Soliciters just send letters !!! It is a Judge that makes the the judgement hence his name. Don't get worried by letters if hes sends you a court summons then go along you can represent yourself and tell the Judge the truth. ( they cans spot tossers from 40 paces) I think it would be an arbetrey hearing where there is you judge and him. If goes well you get your boats and you will pay the original price agreed. If not you say you don't have the money and you can pay £5.00 a month for the next 50 years. But I think you need to stand your ground and don't worry too much. Also move your boats asap ( with the boys) Im sure you may have some willing helpers.
red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #18

Interests: boating/shooting/water sports
Boat name: Apmarine Racing
Boat make: Phantom 21, Manerfelt 23, Donzi 28zx
Engines: Merc XR2, Merc xs, 2 x 350Mags
Cruising area: plymouth/looe/fowey

Quote:
Originally Posted by red 5 View Post
Soliciters just send letters !!! It is a Judge that makes the the judgement hence his name. Don't get worried by letters if hes sends you a court summons then go along you can represent yourself and tell the Judge the truth. ( they cans spot tossers from 40 paces) I think it would be an arbetrey hearing where there is you judge and him. If goes well you get your boats and you will pay the original price agreed. If not you say you don't have the money and you can pay £5.00 a month for the next 50 years. But I think you need to stand your ground and don't worry too much. Also move your boats asap ( with the boys) Im sure you may have some willing helpers.
Been in that sort of place myself but the otherway around when people dont pay me bills. If i was you just do what someone else said DONT GO WITH SOME BLOKES!!!! as he will call the police and they will just tell you where to go as the boat is no dought on his property. just go and try and talk to the bloke but get all your facts first ie make notes exactly what he said and when and all your arangments!! if he wont let you remove the boat he must look after your boat and make sure nothing happens to it. but he can charge you for this!!!! make sure no damage has been done to the boat!!!! ie covers blone off and boat full of water!!

Pearny is offline   Reply With Quote