Boatmad.com

Old 26-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Interests: boats/bodybuilding/my boys
Boat name: Scarab Racing
Boat make: Scarab 27
Engines: Yanmar 315
Cruising area: South coast

Warning To Us All

I've just got in from a week in hospital that could of so been easily avoided and also could so easily been you.
I would imagine that I'm the same as most of you on this web site give or take a few small detail/age but basicly the same.
age 44 married with children happy and very fit, work hard company owner. Play hard Work hard attidute.
Last weekend working on our new property digging mixing general hard work nothing new just basic work, a bit breathless but I was lifting heavy.
Monday felt great off to work as usual, seeing customers at lunch then back to the office bit of paper work few phone calls then had a big chiver go over me at about 2.30pm then by 3.00pm shaking so hard can't hold a phone. I drove home (I know how stupid) car heating on max now wearing a coat as well to stop the shaking.
Made it home by 3.30pm and in to bed, my wife gives me lemsip ect ect thinking I've got man flu, can't remember to much as sleeping and so much pain in my head. About 9.00pm coughting blood heigh temp and feel like my lungs are filling with water and can't breath.
She called the NHS help line who would not let her off the phone until the ambulance arrived and took me away, I can't remember much after this as I was in and out of conciosness and unbelivable pain all over, my best mate met the ambulance at the hospital and he seriously did not think I was cmming out again. Diagnosed with double pnemonia.
So what I'm trying to say is if you feel a bit off but nothing to bad just go visit the doctors half an hour out your day is a lot better than a week in hospital and proberly another 2 weeks off work with rest,
Just take a break see your doc and please don't push and work all the time it will catch up with you and I don't wish that on any one on here, so every now and again chill out stop work and relax enjoy what you have that bit of work will wait for a day or so.

scarab racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

Interests: duh ......
Boat make: Seaquel 600XS & Seaquel 700XS
Engines: Merc 300XS
Cruising area: Veluwemeer/Ijsselmeer

Good advice , not 44 yet but been there and done that , now i take a few days off now and than and relax with the boys for a weekend boating and camping , having a beer and bbq and a laugh for two days and the batery is charged again

Ph@ntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Boat name: Streets Ahead
Boat make: Phantom 600
Engines: Merc 2.0 SST Porting,2.5 200,2.5 Drag Smilin Jacks

Thanks for that advise,

i am in the same situation right now and 51, i am in the boat/car business and i start working at 7 in the morning till 8 in the evening include the last 2 saturday and sunday, stupid i know.

i have to slow it down now !! ,if it get me to..... it will be to late !!

i better enjoy the time with my son now

michael
Germansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab racing View Post
I've just got in from a week in hospital that could of so been easily avoided and also could so easily been you.
I would imagine that I'm the same as most of you on this web site give or take a few small detail/age but basicly the same.
age 44 married with children happy and very fit, work hard company owner. Play hard Work hard attidute.
Last weekend working on our new property digging mixing general hard work nothing new just basic work, a bit breathless but I was lifting heavy.
Monday felt great off to work as usual, seeing customers at lunch then back to the office bit of paper work few phone calls then had a big chiver go over me at about 2.30pm then by 3.00pm shaking so hard can't hold a phone. I drove home (I know how stupid) car heating on max now wearing a coat as well to stop the shaking.
Made it home by 3.30pm and in to bed, my wife gives me lemsip ect ect thinking I've got man flu, can't remember to much as sleeping and so much pain in my head. About 9.00pm coughting blood heigh temp and feel like my lungs are filling with water and can't breath.
She called the NHS help line who would not let her off the phone until the ambulance arrived and took me away, I can't remember much after this as I was in and out of conciosness and unbelivable pain all over, my best mate met the ambulance at the hospital and he seriously did not think I was cmming out again. Diagnosed with double pnemonia.
So what I'm trying to say is if you feel a bit off but nothing to bad just go visit the doctors half an hour out your day is a lot better than a week in hospital and proberly another 2 weeks off work with rest,
Just take a break see your doc and please don't push and work all the time it will catch up with you and I don't wish that on any one on here, so every now and again chill out stop work and relax enjoy what you have that bit of work will wait for a day or so.
Best Wishes for your recovery.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

Sorry to hear about that Mark. Sounds like it was a lucky escape. Hope you're back to normal as soon as possible and that you can prevent a repeat.

All the best.

Pete
Old 28-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #6

Interests: boats/bodybuilding/my boys
Boat name: Scarab Racing
Boat make: Scarab 27
Engines: Yanmar 315
Cruising area: South coast

Thanks for your kind words.

But I think a lot of us forget that working on a boat tinkering / cleaning / painting is still WORK.
Cleaning / polishing - valeters job
Servicing - Mechanics job

If your not in the trade it might seem like fun but it is work and not a break.

Deffinetly going to chill out more Take the boat out sunbath, beer may be even a fishing rod !!!!!
scarab racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab racing View Post
Deffinetly going to chill out more Take the boat out sunbath, beer may be even a fishing rod !!!!!
"chill out more" -
"Take the boat" -
"sunbath (Profile says living in UK)" -
"beer" -
"a fishing rod" -

SORTED.... All the best matey