Boatmad.com

Old 21-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Where to get quality marine carpet?

Have had a nightmare today trying to re-carpet my ring21 and after doing a lovely job with what was supposedly "quality rib carpet" when I tried to move after being knelt down trimming it I soon realised the glue had seeped through the carpet and had adhered to my knees so I have ripped it all out and I'm doing the job again as I want the boat to be perfect, does anyone know any decent sources for some quality marine carpet? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Nick

NickGTD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Heavy duty domestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGTD40 View Post
Have had a nightmare today trying to re-carpet my ring21 and after doing a lovely job with what was supposedly "quality rib carpet" when I tried to move after being knelt down trimming it I soon realised the glue had seeped through the carpet and had adhered to my knees so I have ripped it all out and I'm doing the job again as I want the boat to be perfect, does anyone know any decent sources for some quality marine carpet? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Nick
If you go to a domestic carpet shop they should be able to supply a heavy duty anti rot/anti mold carpet,I used some on Cuddy boat and as long as you don't need sharpe corners it was great=it was quite thick to bend but lasted great.its the type of stuff they use in high footfall areas like shop door ways/hotels.Most of the aftermaket Auto carpet is poor quality.If the floor is sound I would Flow coat it rather than carpet as carpets hold water like a sponge so increases the boat weight and tends to go mouldy,or put clip in carpets that you can easily remove to dry out.cheers Nic

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #3

boat carpets

thanks nick
NickGTD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
pcm

KAYOSPRUCE in portsmouth can supply marine grade carpet which is gel backed and repels water so dries quickly and does not rot. approx 25 quid linear meter trade
pcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

For the last 17 years I've been using this.... http://www.heckmondwike-fb.co.uk/pro...ington-velour/

It's amazing stuff, as you can't see the join on corners etc, it cuts really easily, and we stick it down with a contact adhesive, although you don't need to apply it to the carpet, just the job!

It can be difficult to work with in the winter though, unless you wait for a warm day.